New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

GPS Reception + . . .

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

serdal22

serdal22 is on a distinguished road

Dear Friends,

This is my first post here. My greetings to all of you.

And I would like to sincerely thank you for helping those in need.

I have an IPhone 3GS with 16 GB HD capacity. Here are my questions: (I already did my search but couldn't find any significant or satisfactory answer)

1 - Can I get GPS signal without having to connect internet or cell phone provider signal / coverage / data usage?

Some info on this: When I was in Asia this spring, I tried to run Compass app to get the Lat and Long at the bottom of the screen but no chance. Neither Compass nor GPS worked.

2 - Can I make the maps app work, again, w / o internet or cell phone provider signal / coverage / data usage?

3 - I have a professional (Separate) navigation software. If I hook the IPhone, can I see / use the GPS signals in that navigation software in the middle of the ocean, away from cell phone provider's signals, directly using the GPS signals from satellites?

I will be very grateful if you could enlighten me, please.

Capt. Serdal
QUOTE Thanks
serdal22

serdal22 is on a distinguished road

Dear Friends,

I have an update about Compass app and the Lat and Long display. I truned 3G and cellular data options off to double check on the GPS reception; and the compass continues working but Lat and Long reception feature does not.

Capt. Serdal
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I was about to say, the Compass app should work without any incoming data, though it might be slower than when it has access to GPS data.

As for GPS and maps, no -- they need cell or wi-fi signal (and thus data) to position you. The GPS data requires you be using either 3G or wi-fi -- doesn't matter which, but you gotta have it.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
I was about to say, the Compass app should work without any incoming data, though it might be slower than when it has access to GPS data.

As for GPS and maps, no -- they need cell or wi-fi signal (and thus data) to position you. The GPS data requires you be using either 3G or wi-fi -- doesn't matter which, but you gotta have it.
Why is this? I thought there was an actual GPS receiver - and while not exactly the best performing receiver in the business - could still obtain a position fix without cell. I just experimented with my iPad 3G and was able to get a lat long position and GPS signal having first turned off cell and wi-fi services. Not airplane mode which will inhibit the GPS receiver.

You definitely need data service for maps and other information.
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

iPad 3G is not a good comparison for the iPhone 3GS. There are a few years between the two and the innards are completely different.

From the Tech Specs for 3GS
Cellular and wireless

• UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)
  • GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
  • 802.11b/g Wi-Fi
  • Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR wireless technology
  • Assisted GPS
  • Digital compass
  • Wi-Fi
  • Cellular

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckyon View Post
iPad 3G is not a good comparison for the iPhone 3GS. There are a few years between the two and the innards are completely different.

From the Tech Specs for 3GS
Cellular and wireless

• UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)
  • GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
  • 802.11b/g Wi-Fi
  • Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR wireless technology
  • Assisted GPS
  • Digital compass
  • Wi-Fi
  • Cellular

Ah - so the iPhone 3GS doesn't have a true GPS chipset then. That would explain it.
QUOTE Thanks
Kinnie

Kinnie is on a distinguished road

OK, so you need mobile coverage and/or wi-fi to enable the GPS function on an iPad 2. Is there any app that woul allow/enable the use of an external GPS?

You could make use of the USB camera connector to connect (for example a Garmin device) a GPS to the iPad.

Comments will be appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Aidios Droid... Hello 4s... | Reminders help on iPhone 4 »