New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone 4S - from $199 but 499 in UK!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

199 U dollars translates as around 128 for the 8GB 4S but it's 499 in the UK ($399 =257 / 699 for the 64GB version). It would be cheaper for me to get an airticket to New York and buy the iPhone there. Would it work over here in the UK? I could buy a handfull and become rich!!!!

Am I missing something or we we being ripped off big time?

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Those prices are the subsidized prices and require a 2 year contract with a carrier at the time you purchase. The carrier is paying the balance of the price of the phone. There is a hefty charge for breaking that 2 yr contract also. Have not heard what one will cost without a contract.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Sawday - These are a more direct comparison:

iPhone 4S On Vodafone - iPhone 4S On Pay Monthly Plans - Vodafone

Three - Phones - Register

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
TomTomTuning

TomTomTuning is a jewel in the roughTomTomTuning is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone

First off, here in the US we don't have a 8GB iPhone4s. It's 16/32/64GB.
The 8GB is only the regular iPhone4. I checked Vodafone and it's the same.

Also with Vodafone, it appears the Headset(phone) cost is cheaper with larger monthly plans. You could actually get the phone for free with some of there larger monthly plans. iPhone 4S On Vodafone - iPhone 4S On Pay Monthly Plans - Vodafone

Also, US Carriers require you to have a US SSN. If you sign up with out one, they have a very large deposit requirement. AT&T is $750.00.

QUOTE Thanks
Bcn

Bcn is on a distinguished road

In Spain the price of the iPhone 4 is still 3-400 euros (around 500$), with an 18 month contract (got Vodafone, but same price with other companies as well). In general the prices of Apple products are so much lower in the US compared to Europa (imo), at least to Spain.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawday View Post
199 U dollars translates as around 128 for the 8GB 4S but it's 499 in the UK ($399 =257 / 699 for the 64GB version).
I checked the UK Apple Store...I didn't see an 8gig iPhone 4s.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Fuzzywuzy

Fuzzywuzy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac 27" 3.2 GHz 8GB RAM iPhone 5 32GB iPad 3 16GB iPad Mini Retina 16GB

I pre-ordered a 32gb iphone 4s today in the UK today and it cost me 599 which is reasonable as I can get a sim for only 10/month. This sim has 250mins, unlimited texts and unlimited data. So over a 24month period it works out at 839/$1260. I think most US carriers are working out at around $2000.
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

For 8Gb read 16Gb.
Ok Found the unlocked iPhone 4s for USA it's $649 on Apple that's about 417. Still more of a bargain over there but perhaps not enough to pay my airfare :-)

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Does the price you quote include VAT?

Note that the US prices include no sales tax, which varies from state to state (sometimes as high as 10%). You could buy one from a third party who doesn't do business in your state to avoid sales tax, but in general the prices you're seeing are not the "out the door" price.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« jailbroken iphone 2g wont switch on past 'pineapple' logo | Pre-order Checkout Summary »