New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

4s or 5


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
brendan67

 
brendan67's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 24, 2005
Posts: 691
brendan67 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.26 4GBRAM iPhone6

brendan67 is offline
Hi

Why didn't Apple just call it the iPhone 5 to save all the hassle of negativity
an faux disappointment?

Regards

macbook pro 4gbram
iphone6
ipad 16gb
QUOTE Thanks
dekan

 
dekan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 16, 2007
Posts: 756
dekan is a jewel in the roughdekan is a jewel in the rough

dekan is offline
Yah, we were talking about the same thing today: The news are full of people who are underwhelmed with the 4S. We wondered if people would be happier if i was called 5 :-)

Not sure what people expected, but I think better speed and camera are good features of the new phone. Together with iOS5 it's going to be quite wicked. I'm not disappointed.

QUOTE Thanks
steelyglint

 
Member Since: Oct 05, 2011
Posts: 1
steelyglint is on a distinguished road

steelyglint is offline
It would be even more disappointing than the rather poor offering of the 4GS after over a year of development. It would demonstrate to Apple's competitors that they have run out of ideas and are accepting an inferior product, as the next generation phone. I've been holding onto my 3GS waiting for the iPhone 5, and this delayed announcement has got me seriously thinking about getting an android phone, which I thought I would never do.

I will certainly not waste my money on a 4GS, knowing that a 5 is around the corner (I hope).
QUOTE Thanks
brendan67

 
brendan67's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 24, 2005
Posts: 691
brendan67 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.26 4GBRAM iPhone6

brendan67 is offline
I'm probably in the gullible camp, I have had 2g 3g 3gs and 4.

Can't even remember the gap time between 3gs to 4? - which you would think would indicate when it would go from 4s to 5.

With regards to Android, they all feel different to the feel of an iPhone?, though some of them are great displays etc.

Seems crazy introducing IOS 5 (with all it's wonders) and a 4s phone.

macbook pro 4gbram
iphone6
ipad 16gb
QUOTE Thanks
dekan

 
dekan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 16, 2007
Posts: 756
dekan is a jewel in the roughdekan is a jewel in the rough

dekan is offline
Apparently "iPhone 4s" stands for "iPhone for Steve". Even if it doesn't - I like to think it does as a way to honor Steve ;-)

QUOTE Thanks
osxx

 
osxx's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 19, 2008
Location: houston texas
Posts: 4,679
osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

osxx is offline
I guess I don't get it the video went from 720p to 1080p with mirroring.
The chip got a bump to the same one in the iPad2 (which is very fast).
The camera got a bump in megapixels along with an additional lens and chip.
They added new features and until a breakdown is confirmed more ram.
So with all these improvements people are disappointed because it does not have 4G
speeds and so far the ones that claim they do I have not seen leaps and bounds on a speediest little lone open a page a whole lot faster.
They also increased the battery runtime in the 4s.
As for size Apple has been about small,light and battery efficient so far they are ahead of the pack in that department.
So yeah with all that I think it was a nice upgrade and I am sure a few publications will run a real world comparison test and like last time the iPhone will fair pretty well against the competition if not surpass them in other areas.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

 
baggss's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 10, 2004
Location: Margaritaville
Posts: 10,308
baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

baggss is offline
You're all missing something here. Inside the 4s is a pretty much a whole new phone inside, much like the 3Gs was. Apple releases new phone styles every other year, with an update to the current phone in the mid year of the cycle. Thos who desperately hoped for an "iPhone 5" were pretty much deluding themselves and the established pattern that Apple had set.

Apples stated some months ago that the next iteration of the iPhone would likely not have 4G so that was just plain silly to hope for. Once 4G is fully implemented (in the US, next year) the iPhone will get it. If you are all so underwhelmed or disappointed, go blow your hard earned money (or mommy and daddies hare earned) money on a new iPhone and be "happy".


QUOTE Thanks
ozziedog

 
Member Since: Aug 08, 2010
Posts: 12
ozziedog is on a distinguished road

ozziedog is offline
Is the 4S going to be like when the Iphone 3 came out not long after that they came out with the iPhone 3GS? I would hate to spend the money on the 4S only to have the iPhone 5 come out three months later. I currently have the iPhone 4 and ready for one that doesnt drop calls and has flash. Will the 4S have flash??
QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

 
RustProofCorn's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 21, 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 862
RustProofCorn has a spectacular aura about

RustProofCorn is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozziedog View Post
Is the 4S going to be like when the Iphone 3 came out not long after that they came out with the iPhone 3GS? I would hate to spend the money on the 4S only to have the iPhone 5 come out three months later. I currently have the iPhone 4 and ready for one that doesnt drop calls and has flash. Will the 4S have flash??
i wouldnt guess iphone 5 will be out till next year but only apple knows i guess.i have no dropped calls and i live in the sticks.. no flash.


I personally think they did a heck of a job with the upgrades. I also wonder if people are missing the fact about the upgrade of ios with the release of the iphone 4s.

60% of the time it works every time.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

 
Doug b's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 22, 2008
Location: Forest Hills, NYC
Posts: 3,344
Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Doug b is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
You're all missing something here. Inside the 4s is a pretty much a whole new phone inside, much like the 3Gs was. Apple releases new phone styles every other year, with an update to the current phone in the mid year of the cycle. Thos who desperately hoped for an "iPhone 5" were pretty much deluding themselves and the established pattern that Apple had set.

Apples stated some months ago that the next iteration of the iPhone would likely not have 4G so that was just plain silly to hope for. Once 4G is fully implemented (in the US, next year) the iPhone will get it. If you are all so underwhelmed or disappointed, go blow your hard earned money (or mommy and daddies hare earned) money on a new iPhone and be "happy".
QFT

All of the features on the 4S related to hardware= new phone, essentially. SIRI... Only going to work on the 4S. 4g service? True 4g will likely happen with LTE. This will require a rework of the processor and battery management system and hopefully the LTE chips will be smaller by next year.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

 
osxx's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 19, 2008
Location: houston texas
Posts: 4,679
osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

osxx is offline
Give this a look. AnandTech - Why No LTE iPhone 5 in 2011? Blame 28nm Maturity, Check Back In Q2/Q3 2012
QUOTE Thanks
macuser1232

 
Member Since: Aug 15, 2011
Posts: 372
macuser1232 can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram

macuser1232 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan View Post
Apparently "iPhone 4s" stands for "iPhone for Steve". Even if it doesn't - I like to think it does as a way to honor Steve ;-)
you deserve a rep
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

 
chas_m's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 22, 2010
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 17,498
chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

chas_m is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan67 View Post
Hi

Why didn't Apple just call it the iPhone 5 to save all the hassle of negativity
an faux disappointment?
Well, first of all, I don't know how often you guys get outside the bubble of hard-core nerd-dom, but the "disappointment" is pretty non-existant in the "real world" that don't read rumour sites nine times a day.

The carrier are STRUGGLING to handle pre-orders, and Apple is STRUGGLING to cope with demand. The pre-order sales are FAR higher than they were for the iPhone 4. Seems like the non-nerds are WAY ahead of the nerds on this one, and understand that this new model may LOOK the same but is a BIG improvement.

As for the marketing name, the answer to your question is that if they'd called it the iPhone 5 and left it looking the same, the pundits and naysayers and other worthless scum would be HOWLING and SCREAMING their disgust ten times louder than they are now, that's why. Apple tends to up the number on their iPhone when they really have a serious new design or feature set to add. As impressive as the iPhone 4S is, it's not a new generation phone. That will happen when real 4G actually gets rolled out in force. Almost all of what's around right now is "fake" or "marketing" 4G, not real 4G.

Again -- it's not like this hasn't been done before, very successfully I might add. The 3GS was a HUGE hit -- so much so that it's still available over two years later -- very rare in the cell phone business.

I can't see any reason why Apple should have named the 4S the 5 when it is much more accurately named "4S" -- as in, the iPhone 4 plus new Stuff.
QUOTE Thanks
aestheticxxlove

 
aestheticxxlove's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 09, 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 100
aestheticxxlove will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" Mid 2009 4GB 500GB 7200RPM, Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2010 8GB 750GB 7200RPM, iPhone 4

aestheticxxlove is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Well, first of all, I don't know how often you guys get outside the bubble of hard-core nerd-dom, but the "disappointment" is pretty non-existant in the "real world" that don't read rumour sites nine times a day.

The carrier are STRUGGLING to handle pre-orders, and Apple is STRUGGLING to cope with demand. The pre-order sales are FAR higher than they were for the iPhone 4. Seems like the non-nerds are WAY ahead of the nerds on this one, and understand that this new model may LOOK the same but is a BIG improvement.

As for the marketing name, the answer to your question is that if they'd called it the iPhone 5 and left it looking the same, the pundits and naysayers and other worthless scum would be HOWLING and SCREAMING their disgust ten times louder than they are now, that's why. Apple tends to up the number on their iPhone when they really have a serious new design or feature set to add. As impressive as the iPhone 4S is, it's not a new generation phone. That will happen when real 4G actually gets rolled out in force. Almost all of what's around right now is "fake" or "marketing" 4G, not real 4G.

Again -- it's not like this hasn't been done before, very successfully I might add. The 3GS was a HUGE hit -- so much so that it's still available over two years later -- very rare in the cell phone business.

I can't see any reason why Apple should have named the 4S the 5 when it is much more accurately named "4S" -- as in, the iPhone 4 plus new Stuff.
+1 I totally agree!
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

 
Member Since: Jan 18, 2010
Posts: 1,469
EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

EndlessMac is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozziedog View Post
I currently have the iPhone 4 and ready for one that doesnt drop calls and has flash. Will the 4S have flash??
The iPhone 4S is suppose to have an improved antenna so that will probably reduce the drop call problems of the 4. As for Flash don't count on Apple ever having Flash on their iPhones. They have made their reasons quite clear as why they don't want Flash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
I can't see any reason why Apple should have named the 4S the 5 when it is much more accurately named "4S" -- as in, the iPhone 4 plus new Stuff.
I agree. Calling it the 5 would've been a huge mistake because the changes aren't dramatic enough to called it a 5. 4S is definitely the more accurate label. I have a feeling the same people complaining would've had the same complaints if it were called the 5.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« iPhone 4S RAM... | iPhone 4S & Apple Digital AV Adapter? »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?