New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Siri on iPhone 4?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ImageX

ImageX will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5

Will "Siri", the voice recognition software announced along with the 4s, be available as some sort of software update for the iPhone 4? Just wondering because that would be nice to have and it doesn't make much sense as to why it wouldn't be available as some type of download at least to the iPhone 4 if not 3GS also.

PS - I posted in this section because the Apple website didn't say anything about Siri coming out alongside iOS 5 nor as a separate download which led me to think it has something to do with the new A5 chip.

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Remember to use the Reputation System!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I have heard Siri is VERY CPU intensive and needs the dual A5 to run smoothly. With that info I doubt it will be released for anything but the 4S.
QUOTE Thanks
ImageX

ImageX will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5

Small sadface if this is true. Like I said, it would be cool to have it, but Apple isn't tricking me into getting a whole new phone just for that feature. Thanks for the info.

- ImageX

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Remember to use the Reputation System!
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I'm sure someone will find a way to test it on iPhone 4 hardware. then we'll see how well it works.

I really liked the name Assistant better though. It was much moree in line with Apple's way of naming things to more or less explain what they're for. Siri is very "un-Apple". I think it must have been a concession of buying/using the software.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

It was said yesterday that Siri is only for the iPhone 4S..whether that's because it needs the extra CPU cycles or something else is unclear..but it is not officially supported on any previous iPhone..which is too bad, cuz it looked quite fun..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
It was said yesterday that Siri is only for the iPhone 4S..whether that's because it needs the extra CPU cycles or something else is unclear..but it is not officially supported on any previous iPhone..which is too bad, cuz it looked quite fun..
What about on the iPad2, since it also uses the A5 chip?

EDIT: Well it looks like Siri may not be supported on iPad2 at this point. I got this from theTUAW web site

Apple says: "Siri is available in Beta only on iPhone 4S and requires Internet access. Siri may not be available in all languages or in all areas, and features may vary by area. Cellular data charges may apply." So even with the same processor, it doesn't look promising.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
What about on the iPad2, since it also uses the A5 chip?

EDIT: Well it looks like Siri may not be supported on iPad2 at this point. I got this from theTUAW web site

Apple says: "Siri is available in Beta only on iPhone 4S and requires Internet access. Siri may not be available in all languages or in all areas, and features may vary by area. Cellular data charges may apply." So even with the same processor, it doesn't look promising.
Now if the requirement is Internet access, the iPad 2 wither WiFi or 3G does have that and does it have the processor to support that functionality, so that makes me wonder what other piece of hardware/software is so iPhone 4S specific that the iPad 2 is excluded..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
mtbinva

mtbinva will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.

It's strictly a way to market a marginal iPhone upgrade. I have to y, that is really the only thing I was looking forward to insofar as iOS 5 is concerned.
QUOTE Thanks
advance

advance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
I'm sure someone will find a way to test it on iPhone 4 hardware. then we'll see how well it works.

I really liked the name Assistant better though. It was much moree in line with Apple's way of naming things to more or less explain what they're for. Siri is very "un-Apple". I think it must have been a concession of buying/using the software.

Hackers Working To Port Siri On iPhone 4 (SCREENSHOT)
QUOTE Thanks
rrgrimm

rrgrimm is on a distinguished road

Siri worked fine on the Iphone 3GS eighteen months ago when it was available from the appstore. Hmmm...
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgrimm View Post
Siri worked fine on the Iphone 3GS eighteen months ago when it was available from the appstore. Hmmm...
I seriously doubt its the same .
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
I seriously doubt its the same .
From what I've been told,SIRI will only work on the 4s due to "hardware limitations". Interpret that as you'd like, but I'll also quote this:
Quote:
At this point, we’re unsure of whether Siri requires certain hardware components or not.
and then add that it's not just speculation.

As for it Previously working... Siri at the time was simply an app. It has evolved far past an app now. The physical technology was purchased by Apple and has since had engineers working on both the language and hardware in order to perfect it for the iOS platform.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

What Doug b said.

COULD Siri be made to POSSIBLY work on an iPhone 4? Yeah, I'll bet it could. Would it SUCK by comparison to the iPhone 4S? Yeah, most likely it would.

Apple is about the EXPERIENCE. They don't want you to use Siri if it's gonna suck, so they limit it to hardware they know will let it run well. Not really that hard to figure out.

I know that won't stop the experimenters, gawd bless 'em, but for everyone else -- the clue phone is ringing, and it's for you.
QUOTE Thanks
nuclearda

nuclearda is on a distinguished road

So why is it siri now runs fine on the iphone 4 and can talk to servers yet apple says it is hardware limitations.. I would have to go with the marketing ploy to force more people to buy the 4s since they did not release the 5
QUOTE Thanks
grummanite

grummanite is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IMac 10.6.7/ 3.06GHZ IPhone 4S, IPad4 retina

Siri is not worth worrying about, not really that useful.

Crusty Biker
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« factory unlock ? | Iphone question »