New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

The 4s and it's lack of 4G support

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BDD888

BDD888 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 27" quad-core iMac, 8GB RAM, 2TB HD...15" MBP w/ 4GB RAM...etc.

Has Apple just shot themselves in their collective feet by not including 4G support in the 4s? I assumed it would since there are so many 4G Android phones out already and more to come.

Or is the 4s to keep Apple fans happy till they can roll out the iPhone 5? Are they still planning to announcing an iPhone 5 this year?

I was about to consider the iPhone 4s till I found out it only supports 3G. Which isn't to say I won't still buy a 4s. But now as it is I might be looking at 4G phones from Motorola or Samsung as my first smartphone. Why would one not buy a 4G phone?
QUOTE Thanks
DeanP

DeanP is on a distinguished road

To be honest, I don't really care about 4G (none available in NZ).

But yeah, I am quite furious - it took 18 months and all they did was a spec bump. Going to stay with my iP4.
QUOTE Thanks
BDD888

If I am to only choose an iP I'd go with the 4s (since I don't already own one). I could have got the iP4 for an exceptional corporate deal. But I wanted to wait and see what Apple would come out with releasing the "4s" or "5". The features on the 4s are great...that bugs me is that it's not a 4G phone. I think many people were expecting that.

If you were going to buy a new smartphone today I think it would only make sense to buy a 4G phone. Which is why I hope the 4s is just a stopgap phone. And that there will be a iP5 on the way. Hopefully announced later this year. Or even next October. If not...then I'm going Android. I won't be buying for roughly a year (reasons I won't go into). So I can wait.

Apple gives us a "iP4s" that doesn't have "4G". What are they thinking??
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I would like to see 4G but not with the battery life my co worker gets with his Android
if he does not bring his charger the phone will not make it to the end of an 8 hr shift.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Do you really have 4G service routinely available to you?

From what I have seen (and admittedly I live in a small market area) for now and the immediate future 4G is a marketing ploy (like the ever increasing mega-pixels on digital cameras).

Also, I tend to do most of my heavy usage on Wifi so it is a non-issue to me.

Bottomline: if all else were equal I would certainly use 4G as a determining factor in my purchase, but they aren't. The iPhone 3Gs I currently have is the best phone I have ever had, period end of statement. Most people I know who have other smartphones don't feel that way about their phone.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

They certainly haven't "shot themselves in the foot". Are there people who will go another direction for 4G? - I'm sure there are, and there are probably people who will hold out until next year in anticipation of a possible 4G iPhone. I'd have to imagine that since Apple is all about high margins - the business case for including 4G wasn't strong enough, given that in reality, most of the US doesn't have that service available.
QUOTE Thanks
BDD888

Brian,

I'm surprised. I'm from Toronto. And most of the major providers are offering 4G service and of course pushing 4G phones.

It was exactly because we know Apple is for the high profit margins that I would have thought the 4s would have been a 4G phone. With good battery life. Maybe Apple hasn't worked that out in time for the 4s release. They want to get it right when they do release a 4G phone.

As I said...due to circumstances I won't be buying till roughly the same time next year. So if it takes that long for Apple to put out a iP5 w/ 4G then fine. But the 4G phones out there...they can't all have poor battery life could they? Even the Samsung II? Motorola Bionic/Atrix...etc.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Give this a read. Very good info from a very smart person.

AnandTech - Why No LTE iPhone 5 in 2011? Blame 28nm Maturity, Check Back In Q2/Q3 2012
QUOTE Thanks
BDD888

Thanks for the URL. Will read. I know of Anandtech. And was going to ask how important is having LTE? To buy a future proof 4G phone. Or a future proof phone period. I was considering the 4s. Haven't written it off yet. But I can wait till roughly the same time next year. So if there's a iP5 LTE 4G phone...GREAT.
QUOTE Thanks
Corato

Corato is on a distinguished road

Coming from the 3GS the 4s will be a huge improvement. I personally do not use that much data via cellular so 4G is not a big deal for my use case. I am happy to see the world phone capability.

Corato Blog - Macbook Pro 2011 15" 240GB OCZ Vertex4 + Corsair 240GB, Optibay, - iPhone 4s - Synology 207+NAS
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post

AnandTech - Why No LTE iPhone 5 in 2011? Blame 28nm Maturity, Check Back In Q2/Q3 2012
Thanks for the link would of gave you a rep but i got the must spread around flag.
QUOTE Thanks
lilmill

lilmill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post

Great link. I'm still undecided on upgrading my iphone4, I guess I will play with the wife's 4s to see if it's worth it. I was hoping for a little bigger screen, and I'd also upgrade mine. Lte is still a ways off and I don't think the battery life is worth the performance, since I'm not going to lose my unlimited for a tethering plan.

2.93 27inch imac with ssd+2tb,2.6 XPS720 vista64 8gig_17 2.6 MBP with 4gig and 200gig 7200 rpm_ATV 160 gig_iphone32gs_AEBS_1TB timecapsule,and drobofs
QUOTE Thanks
BDD888

The differences between an iP4 and an iP4s IMHO is not great enough to warrant an upgrade. You just bought the iP4. Now if you had an iP3...

The screen size is another disappointment. I thought Apple would have used a 4-4.5" screen to be competitive with 4G Android phones. Apple is giving Android phone manufacturers a chance to gain market share they didn't have. Not smart IMHO.

What's missing in the 4s?...no 4G, no LTE, no 4" screen...perhaps they'll have these changes in the iP5. And more than 10 hours of battery life continuous (talking, email, browsing...etc.).
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

moan, moan, moan, is that all people do on product launches?

its had an A5 processor, siri, 8MP camera w/new optics. up to 7x faster graphics, 2x Safari speed increase. AND iOS 5!

so it doesnt have 4G. big woop, wanna fight about it. get over it and move on.

is it a stop gap for the iPhone 5? i doubt it. who cares anyway, its a great improvement. Impatience always annoys me.

I have had no sleep. i apologise for the crankiness, but i need to get this off my chest.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

According to Apple, with ATT's roll out of their HSPA (fake 4g) network, and the improved antennas in the 4Gs, users should theoretically see download speeds which match that of current Verizon and Sprint 4G users with 14 Mbps or better. technically speaking, none of the already existing 4g networks are truly what 4g was meant to be. More like 3.5g.

So don't be upset, because the truth is that you've fallen victem to marketing nonsense ! And this is coming from a guy with "4g" on the Sprint network....

Doug
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iTunes does not open when iPhone 4 connected | Any info on the time pre-orders will start? »