New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

apple newbie fancies an iPhone, but which one ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

timmy_toad

timmy_toad is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP, iPad2 + iPhone4S

Hi all, about a month or so after getting a (sim free) HTC Desire, i had the urge to get a Mac Book Pro, after 6 months of Apple heaven with my Lap Top, oh yes and i recently got my wife an iPad2, i know now i really should have got an iPhone, with the iPhone 5 imminent, i don't doubt the earlier versions will be much cheaper to purchase (sim free).

But i am having difficulty in figuring out which one to get !, what exactly is the difference between versions 4 and 3GS the handset seems to be the same size, but what exactly is the difference, and then cheaper still there is the 3G and a 3 ?

and can they all run iOS4 ?

tim
QUOTE Thanks
DavidHH

DavidHH has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini

The iPhone 3 will not be able to run the upcoming release of iOS 5 so I would not get that one, and I am pretty sure this will be the last iOS update for the 3GS. So if you are interested in a little bit of longevity to your investment you best stay with at least stay with an iPhone 4 and or wait until Tuesday of this week to see what the iPhone 5 or possibly the 4s have to offer. The rumours would have the iPhone 4s being more economical to buy.

DavidH
QUOTE Thanks
timmy_toad

thanks for that info DavidH extremely helpful and i didn't know about a 4s model at all, obviously i haven't been listening to enough "rumours" LOL

tim
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

We'll all find out for sure (rather than rumours which have ranged from fairly plausible to completely ridiculous) in a few hours. Let's just be patient and get the facts.
QUOTE Thanks
timmy_toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
We'll all find out for sure (rather than rumours which have ranged from fairly plausible to completely ridiculous) in a few hours. Let's just be patient and get the facts.
What time in the UK will that be Chas_m ????

i am hoping that my wife can cope with iOS5 on her iPad !, that is suppose to be coming available at the same time i guess, and then there is this iCloud gadget as well, going to be a big Apple day today then !.

tim
QUOTE Thanks
thekilierdonut

thekilierdonut is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.5GHz i5 MBP, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, NVIDIA Geforce GT 330m/16GB iPhone 4 in a brick sized otterbox.

the iPhone 3g will not run anything past iOS 4, and it isn't fully functional (no folders, compass, no support for newer, graphically intensive apps, etc.). The 3Gs and 4 will still be supported (the 3Gs is now available at AT&T for free with a contract!) As far as the differences between the phones - the 3Gs is the oldest of the handsets. Obviously that means it has an older, slower processor, less RAM, inferior camera, etc. It also does not have a retina (HD) display. The 4 and the 4s look very similar externally, but the 4s has a brand new dual core processor, 1GB RAM, and a better camera. It is also available with a bigger hard drive (the 4 caps out at 32GB). All three are good phones - if it were ME I'd just buy the latest and greatest, but if you just want to get into the iPhone family, the 3Gs would do you just fine, I guess. 4s will go for USD 199, 299, 399 for 16, 32, and 64 GB models with a contract. Without a contract, you're looking at 449, 549, and 649, respectively.

Mid 2010 MBP 2.53 GHz i5, 4GB RAM || iPhone 4 16 GB iOS 4.3 (not jailbroken) || Amazon Kindle (graphite display) || HP Netbook running Win7 or Ubuntu || Various iPods
*Macintosh, MACintosh, or M.A.C.intosh. Which one looks correct? *
QUOTE Thanks
timmy_toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekilierdonut View Post
the iPhone 3g will not run anything past iOS 4, and it isn't fully functional (no folders, compass, no support for newer, graphically intensive apps, etc.). The 3Gs and 4 will still be supported (the 3Gs is now available at AT&T for free with a contract!) As far as the differences between the phones - the 3Gs is the oldest of the handsets. Obviously that means it has an older, slower processor, less RAM, inferior camera, etc. It also does not have a retina (HD) display. The 4 and the 4s look very similar externally, but the 4s has a brand new dual core processor, 1GB RAM, and a better camera. It is also available with a bigger hard drive (the 4 caps out at 32GB). All three are good phones - if it were ME I'd just buy the latest and greatest, but if you just want to get into the iPhone family, the 3Gs would do you just fine, I guess. 4s will go for USD 199, 299, 399 for 16, 32, and 64 GB models with a contract. Without a contract, you're looking at 449, 549, and 649, respectively.
thanks for that info buddy, i hoping that the prices of a 2nd hand "4" will drop like a stone, but then again they might not LOL, i shall play a waiting game for a while thanks.

BTW, i'm in the UK so prices and contracts are a bit different ! LOL
tim
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Seems impossible but.. | Selling iphone 4? »