iPhone 3GS in recovery mode after 1602
    Nightmare! I wanted to charge the iPhone by plugging it into the PC laptop and it asked "There are purchased items on the iPhone that have not been transferred to your iTunes library. You should transfer these items to your iTunes library before updating this iPhone. Are you sure you want to continue?" I hit Continue...

I then got an 1602 error after the upgrade had finished.

Now it has iTunes logo and USB plug image and has this even after a re-start to the iPhone.

I can't get iPhone out of recovery mode.

Now when phone is connected to PC iTunes says:

"iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes."

I don't want to Restore and lose Apps and stuff I have written on it.

How do I get everything back?

We haven't done a jailbrake.

There's lots of conflicting info, do I re-install from iTunes, or get rid of iTunes on the PC reinstall it on the PC and then re-install the iPhone OS? Reinstall it from a MacBook Pro with iTunes? Or use some 3rd party software like TinyUmbrella?

Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD
    Did you have your iPhone backing up when you sync-ed it?

I'm hoping it did.

However, I have restored the iPhone on another computer and completely wiped it.

Now I'm hoping I can restore the Apps and photos, etc., from the original PC laptop but I can't get the PC to recognise the iPhone. I plug it in, reboot it, try the trick with the Sleep and Home buttons for 10 seconds. Nothing.

Anyone know how to force an iPhone to register on an iTunes in Windows 7?

MBP Core i7 2.66 500GB 15" - Mac mini Core i5 2.5 500GB - Iphone 4 32GB - 32GB Ipad 2
    I had a similar thing happen to me when I was updating the software for my iPad 2. My wife unplugged the iPad half way through the update and afterwords I couldn't reset and it wouldn't even complete the recovery process.

I know this isn't exactly what happened to you but it might be the same problem...

The bad news: if it is the same problem it means your iPhone's index files have become corrupt, and apple ended up having to replace my iPad.

Hopefully it isn't the same issue.

Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD
    Nothing happens at all when you hold sleep and home buttons? Have you tried holding them for longer than 10secs?

Happy Ending! I got there by doing everything again and again until it worked.

I connected it to my MacBook Pro which hadn't been synced with any other iPhone and reinstalled the latest version of the iOS and the iPhone had nothing on it at all.

Then it was a real effort getting it to mount on the original computer's iTunes. I had to reboot it and the machine several times but it eventually appeared on the left hand side of the iTunes application.

Then I right-clicked on the iPhone and restored everything to it.

Thanks you your help.

Thread Information