New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Can you get WiFi, for your Iphone 3G on a DSL internet service, or w/Roku device?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LongTimeMacUser

LongTimeMacUser is on a distinguished road

Or do you have to have Broadband Internet service to get WIFI for the Iphone 3G?

What are some good websites to help you learn how to use your WiFI?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Your DSL internet service gets your Internet access, to be able to share that with your iPhone 3G you'll need a WiFi router. You'd connect the router to your DSL modem, and the iPhone 3G would connect to the router over WiFi and get onto the Internet..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
LongTimeMacUser

LongTimeMacUser is on a distinguished road

The WiFi router, you're speaking of, can you get something like that from say, Radio Shack?

A clerk was showing me a router, which was only about $30!

I'm going to get off this AT&T u-verse, it's slow and it's expensive....
I'm very disappointed too, by the customer service they're providing me, which is nothing! I'm starting to feel like I'm dealing with Verizon..

Oh, did you hear that AT&T cannot take over T-mobile? A court ruled against it!

I'm glad, cuz I've haerd good things from T-mobile customers about their service, and seen many many complaints from AT&T customers about their customer service.

I think T-mobile and Sprint ought to merge, they both have good customer service!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

I currently use a Airport Extreme, you can find others from LinkSys, Cisco, D-Link and so on..you can probably find decent ones for $30 too..but make sure the place you buys this from has a good return policy so you can send the thing back when it doesn't work..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
kittonian

kittonian is on a distinguished road

Wi-Fi is different than an Internet connection. You can have Wi-Fi for wireless access to computers within a LAN (local area network). If you then wish to connect to the Internet via your wireless connection you need to have a router that will go from your modem (or whatever device you are using to connect to the Internet) to the router. Then you enter the router's IP address in the correct location and you're off and running.

Joshua Aaron
President/CEO
Mac Genius - Apple Macintosh & IT Consulting
QUOTE Thanks
macs4bg

macs4bg is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iPhone 3Gs & White iBook PPC

I'm glad this question was asked. Due to the new ATT strangulation of grandfathered "Unlimited" data plan "heavy" users beginning 10/1/11 (personally, I think they already started with the speed-strangulation as my 3Gs has felt especially slow for weeks), I was thinking it also is time for a wifi router but don't know much about them:

1. I heard a "travel router" is best (can take it with you, small, compact) & was looking at Airport Express for $99. If I understand it correctly, you plug the internet cable that comes out of the wall directly into the Airport Express (rather than plugging the Airport Express into your ISP modem. Is that true?)

2. Since it's just me who would be using it & I sit in the same spot while online with iphone, it would be great to plug Airport Express into the internet cable right near me. (The actual modem is down the hall in another room. If Airport Express has to be plugged into the actual modem, not sure the wifi-ability will reach down the hall to this room(?)

3. I want the wifi strictly for the iphone (due to stupid ATT's "Unlimited" bait & switch described above). Will Airport Express work with a 3Gs iphone running 3.1.2?

4. Will I need my iBook to make Airport Express work with iphone? Or is the set up process accomplished solely between the iphone & the Airport Express router?

5. Lastly, what about security? I've read of people who say they would never put their phones on wifi due to wifi security issues. How does one make wifi secure? Is security built in to the Airport Express?

Thanks for any input!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Location Service Error - Operation Timeout? | Mobileme Find my iPhone - two phones »