Unhappy Will an US iPhone work in the UK
    Hi, I live in the uk and currently use 3 network I would love an iPhone but am appalled at the prices of iPhones in this country I mistakenly went on to the American version of the apple store and found iPhones were considerably less in America, if I were to buy an unlocked American 3GS would it work with my 3 sim card in the u.k and what extra costs would I have to pay on top of the phone. I heard jailbreaking would be a safe(?????) way to unlock a phone. Please help!

Specs:
    20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
    No reason why not, as long as the sim slots are the same, pretty sure they are.
    Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Macloverg4 View Post
    Hi, I live in the uk and currently use 3 network I would love an iPhone but am appalled at the prices of iPhones in this country I mistakenly went on to the American version of the apple store and found iPhones were considerably less in America, if I were to buy an unlocked American 3GS would it work with my 3 sim card in the u.k and what extra costs would I have to pay on top of the phone. I heard jailbreaking would be a safe(?????) way to unlock a phone. Please help!
    No need to unlock it if you buy the unlocked version in the US. Just make sure you're getting the AT&T version and not the Verizon one (which doesn't have SIM slot).
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    2008 Unibody MacBook / 2009 White MacBook / iMac C2D 2.16 GHz 20" / iMac G5 1.6 GHz 17"
    Have a feeling here that an ordinary unlocked iPhone will not work on the 3 network; I've seen a lot of warnings around but can't remember where. It's 3 that's the problem here, so it doesn't matter where you get the phone from.

Cheers

Hugh
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
    Warning - this user has only a little knowledge

Can someone tell me me how much a us iPhone costs from three please?

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Macloverg4 View Post
    Can someone tell me me how much a us iPhone costs from three please?
    There is no carrier known as "3" operating in the US. If you want to buy an unlocked iPhone, it will run you $649 (16GB) or $749 (32GB).
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    2008 Unibody MacBook / 2009 White MacBook / iMac C2D 2.16 GHz 20" / iMac G5 1.6 GHz 17"
    Really your only option if you want to stay on the 3 network is to buy a 2nd hand iPhone in the UK that is advertised as being locked to 3.
    Or go to 3 and get a contract iPhone.

Cheers

Hugh

Yes and no. If you are talking about purchasing a US iPhone for use with a UK provider it's not a good idea since they run on sometimes different network protocols. If you are asking about taking a trip to the UK and using your US iPhone, yes it will work but I highly suggest calling your provider and finding out all the associated charges with using the phone overseas. For example, AT&T charges quite a bit of money for it to work. I took a trip a few years ago and paid almost $300 to use my iPhone for a few weeks.
    Joshua Aaron
    President/CEO
    Mac Genius - Apple Macintosh & IT Consulting

shifting network
    I also bought a phone from UK having vodafone network but i am now shifting to india can i now use the service of vodafone india shiftong my network from vodafone UK to vodafone india

Specs:
    On that I would definitely phone Vodafone UK and ask them.
    If you're going abroad and the iPhone is not compatible with Vodafone India they may unlock it for free.

Cheers

Hugh

Thread Information