New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Should i buy the iphone4 or wait for the iphone5 to come out?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jasonsmith

jasonsmith is on a distinguished road

I want to buy the iphone4 since i just signed on with at&t today but i don't want to buy it and then the next one come out in 2 months and miss out on the newest one for the same proce when i could have just waited. also, anyone know when the iphone5 comes out? and what the difference between it and the iphone 4 will be?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Hi and welcome to the forums . . . .

Have a read of this thread and in particular the 1st few posts. We really dont know until it happens we can only speculate.

Iphone 5 have we?

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
LostLamb

LostLamb is on a distinguished road

I just bought iPhone 4 and it is really great and cheap

I did not want to wait for iPhone 5 because I believe that the change will not be so much different from iPhone4.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostLamb View Post
I did not want to wait for iPhone 5 because I believe that the change will not be so much different from iPhone4.
..that's impossible to know since Apple has released NO information about the iPhone 5..and if history is any indication, EVERY iPhone has been better with, in some cases, significant changes than the previous version. There's no reason to believe that the iPhone 5 will be any different..

That being said, however, there is also no indication when the iPhone 5 will be out, it might be this month or later..who knows..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Jehartley

Jehartley is on a distinguished road

QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Actually..no better in this case isn't subjective..with each new revision of the iPhone, the hardware has gotten better..I have my iPhone 3G that is nothing compared to the my iPhone 4..apart from the processor, increased RAM, much better display, and camera..

Now what is subjective is whether you need to wait for the upgrade that is inevitable to happen at some point later this year..if the performance/capabilities of the iPhone 4 work for the OP now, then that's what they should get..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsmith View Post
I want to buy the iphone4 since i just signed on with at&t today but i don't want to buy it and then the next one come out in 2 months and miss out on the newest one for the same proce when i could have just waited. also, anyone know when the iphone5 comes out? and what the difference between it and the iphone 4 will be?
This is the advice I normally give people about computers, but I think it applies to Smartphones and iPads as well...

Buy the machine that best suits your needs when you need it. It will continue to serve those needs long after an updated model is released. If you're always waiting for "the next best thing" in technology, you'll wait forever.

A lot of people made this same argument when Verizon released the iPhone. 5 months later, I still couldn't be happier with my VZW iPhone and I'm sure when a new iPhone is released down the road, it will continue to work just as well.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Jehartley

QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehartley View Post
I don't agree. "better" is subjective here. Better how? If you mean something new, yeah sure. But as far as "better" enough to spend the money to upgrade: No. The iPhone 3gs was not "better" enough to upgrade from the iPhone 3g in my opinion, and I think that is what the OP was asking about.

If the iPhone 4g (s) 5 whaterver it will be called is the same as the change from 3g to 3gs, then it won't be a "better" upgrade all things considered.
That's absurd. Of course the next iPhone will be a better model than the prior. Every model has been better to varying degrees than the prior. There's nothing subjective about it. Even the 3Gs was a significant bump over the 3G. Just look at iOS 4. Out the gate, the 3Gs was able to utilize more of the features from iOS 4 than the 3G could, and Apple wound up dropping support prematurely for the 3G because the hardware was just too anemic to handle it. What one considers to be "better enough" is purely subjective, but that's something wholly different. The iPhone 5 WILL be improved and "better" than the iPhone 4. To what degree remains to be seen.
QUOTE Thanks
Jehartley

QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehartley View Post
I said it was my opinion. No, it is not an absurd opinion either. Do you have a habit of trying to berate everyone with a differing opinion than your own?
Only when they say ridiculous things. The 3Gs has a better camera; faster processor; double the speed on HSDPA; supports numerous features in iOS 4 that the iPhone 3 didn't get. Quite a few apps don't run on the iPhone 3. The iPhone 3Gs, while certainly inferior to the iPhone 4 in a number of ways, is still a very good performing phone with a lot of life in it. The iPhone 3 stopped getting iOS 4 updates because it simply couldn't handle it. It's grossly inferior to the iPhone 3Gs. This is a fact that anyone running them side-by-side can see as plain as the nose on my face. And I have a huge nose that you can't miss.
QUOTE Thanks
Jehartley

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Dear Ms. Palin:

I'm sorry that you had to come here to find out that an opinion isn't necessarily valid just because it's YOUR opinion.

Good luck in the future!
QUOTE Thanks
ozziedog

ozziedog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Dear Ms. Palin:

I'm sorry that you had to come here to find out that an opinion isn't necessarily valid just because it's YOUR opinion.

Good luck in the future!
And this has to do with buying and iPhone 4 or waiting on the iPhone 5, HOW?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Play nice please. It's rule number 1 here at Mac-Forums.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iphone in car | Iphone 4 Wireless Icon »