New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Ľ Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Ľ Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iphone 5 not on schedule: should I buy an iphone 4 or wait?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ecg■eow

Ecg■eow is on a distinguished road

A new iphone is usually released every summer along with a major ios update. However, apple has already introduced ios 5 without introducing the new iphone, and they say ios 5 won't be out until this fall. Should I wait to see if they release the new iphone along with ios 5, or is the new iphone more than 6 months away?
QUOTE Thanks
class77

class77 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4

Wait...You're only talking a couple of months at the most

 24" iMac, 3.06GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 10.6.8
 2011 Mac mini, 2.7Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 10.7.3
 iPad3 64GB, iPad2 32 GB
 iPhone 4, 32GB  Airport Extreme 5
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Summer just began a couple of weeks ago. New iPhone is expected in August. That's less than 8 weeks away. Give or take.
Suit yourself...

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
Ecg■eow

Ecg■eow is on a distinguished road

yes, well you never can tell with all these crazy rumors flying around. Also, summer starts and ends at different times depending on the definition. If you're talking astronomy, summer starts on June 21st, but culturally, summer usually starts on memorial day and ends on labor day here in the US, or if you're a student, it's when school's out. Meteorologically it's just june, july, and august, but I always preferred to define summer as when we stop getting cold fronts here in Texas and all the precipitation we get is dominated by convection, but that's neither here nor there.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecg■eow View Post
A new iphone is usually released every summer along with a major ios update. However, apple has already introduced ios 5 without introducing the new iphone, and they say ios 5 won't be out until this fall. Should I wait to see if they release the new iphone along with ios 5, or is the new iphone more than 6 months away?
Since no schedule was ever released for when the iPhone 5 would be released, how can it be not on schedule?

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
The new iPhone will not be released with iOS 5, that much is certain by now. When the next iPhone WILL be released is purely speculative. Rumors point to the fall, and I have a hard time believing Apple would push it longer when competition is so hot right now. But you need to decide for yourself if you should wait, and for how long.
QUOTE Thanks
cj31016

cj31016 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: i7 930 Hackintosh, 24GB RAM; 2011 13" MBA, 4GB RAM, 128GB Flash Storage; iPad2

Quote:
Huh!? Did I miss something? iPhone 5 has just been a big rumor hasn't it?
QUOTE Thanks
TF626

TF626 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5' iMac i3 3.2GHz, 13.3' MacBook Pro 2.26GHz, iPhone 4(16GB), 160GB iPod Classic

I ended up switching from AT&T to Verizon this year, and for a second I thought should I buy a newer phone? But in the end I thought the iPhone was still the best because Apple supports it's devices year after year(I mean the 3GS will be able to run iOS5).

So here I am stuck with an iPhone 4 until 12/22/12 but I don't mind at all, iOS5 looks like it's running good on the iPhone 4, and I know Apple will have iOS6 support if it's past history is any indication.

I don't know what Apple will do with the iPhone 5, if it will just be under the hood changes or what, but personally I don't think I'll be getting another iPhone until it supports 4G, which should in my estimate be around 2012-2013. It's getting expensive buying iPhones every year, and I am just quite satisfied with the iPhone 4.

If you want to buy it, or feel you need it go ahead and pull the trigger, I maybe wrong but I don't think Apple will do a big leap for 2011-- just under the hood changes. In my thought if Apple will do anything it'll update the processors, cameras, and so forth and perhaps replace the back glass with some new material(I've seen iPhone 4's with a metallic like backcover that they put on the phone). Personally next time I buy an iPhone, it will be for the 4G.
QUOTE Thanks
Sonicjet

Sonicjet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 13' Macbook Pro i5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF626 View Post
So here I am stuck with an iPhone 4 until 12/22/12 but I don't mind at all, iOS5 looks like it's running good on the iPhone 4, and I know Apple will have iOS6 support if it's past history is any indication.
Well, looks like you won't be seeing it, your contract locks you in to a day after the end of the world!
Jk, but really, you should have some IOS6 support, but it will probably be missing something key that makes it not the super phone as it is today.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhone 4 Battery Problem | iPhone and wireless music »