iphone 5 not on schedule: should I buy an iphone 4 or wait?
    A new iphone is usually released every summer along with a major ios update. However, apple has already introduced ios 5 without introducing the new iphone, and they say ios 5 won't be out until this fall. Should I wait to see if they release the new iphone along with ios 5, or is the new iphone more than 6 months away?

Specs:
    25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
    Wait...You're only talking a couple of months at the most
     24" iMac, 3.06GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 10.6.8
     2011 Mac mini, 2.7Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 10.7.3
     iPad3 64GB, iPad2 32 GB
     iPhone 4, 32GB  Airport Extreme 5

Specs:
    2008 15" MBP Yosemite, 2012 21.5" iMac Yosemite
    Summer just began a couple of weeks ago. New iPhone is expected in August. That's less than 8 weeks away. Give or take.
    Suit yourself...
    64GB iPhone 6, 64GB iPad Air 2.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.

yes, well you never can tell with all these crazy rumors flying around. Also, summer starts and ends at different times depending on the definition. If you're talking astronomy, summer starts on June 21st, but culturally, summer usually starts on memorial day and ends on labor day here in the US, or if you're a student, it's when school's out. Meteorologically it's just june, july, and august, but I always preferred to define summer as when we stop getting cold fronts here in Texas and all the precipitation we get is dominated by convection, but that's neither here nor there.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecg■eow View Post
    A new iphone is usually released every summer along with a major ios update. However, apple has already introduced ios 5 without introducing the new iphone, and they say ios 5 won't be out until this fall. Should I wait to see if they release the new iphone along with ios 5, or is the new iphone more than 6 months away?
    Since no schedule was ever released for when the iPhone 5 would be released, how can it be not on schedule?
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

The new iPhone will not be released with iOS 5, that much is certain by now. When the next iPhone WILL be released is purely speculative. Rumors point to the fall, and I have a hard time believing Apple would push it longer when competition is so hot right now. But you need to decide for yourself if you should wait, and for how long.

Specs:
    i7 930 Hackintosh, 24GB RAM; 2011 13" MBA, 4GB RAM, 128GB Flash Storage; iPad2
    Huh!? Did I miss something? iPhone 5 has just been a big rumor hasn't it?

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    There is no need for "crazy rumors." Apple has actually SAID that iOS 5 will be out in the fall (nothing more specific than that). They haven't said anything about a new iPhone, but everyone expects it because they've gotten one (more or less) every year since the original one, and as we all know Apple NEVER changes.

Normally when Apple holds something back off the "expected" release, it's because of a hardware change or last-minute revision. My **guess** on this next iPhone is that it will be a bumped-up version of the iPhone 4 with a better camera and not much else different, relying on iOS 5 to make it seem more different than it actually is.

I **speculate** that summer 2012 is when we are going to get a REALLY different iPhone, one with LTE support and a whole new design. But of course I could be wrong, particularly as I recently got a sweet deal on an iPhone 4 and that's traditionally when Apple releases revolutionary products ... right after I buy the "old" one.

Given that the iPhone 4 is compatible with iOS5 and is likely to be compatible with iOS 6 at least to some extent, I'm not sure there's much point to waiting. Whatever you buy, and whenever you buy it, you're locked out of buying the next one because you're in a two-year (minimum) contract.

So the way I look at it, if I buy an iPhone 4 (as I recently did) I shouldn't even care about the next iPhone (whatever they call it), because I'll be contractless in time for the iPhone 2012 or thereabouts. If I wait and buy the iPhone (let's call it 5), I'm out of the race until at least the iPhone 7, which will make the iPhone 4 look painfully quaint and will probably be so thin and small it can be inserted nasally.

Hope that helps!!

Specs:
    21.5' iMac i3 3.2GHz, 13.3' MacBook Pro 2.26GHz, iPhone 4(16GB), 160GB iPod Classic
    I ended up switching from AT&T to Verizon this year, and for a second I thought should I buy a newer phone? But in the end I thought the iPhone was still the best because Apple supports it's devices year after year(I mean the 3GS will be able to run iOS5).

So here I am stuck with an iPhone 4 until 12/22/12 but I don't mind at all, iOS5 looks like it's running good on the iPhone 4, and I know Apple will have iOS6 support if it's past history is any indication.

I don't know what Apple will do with the iPhone 5, if it will just be under the hood changes or what, but personally I don't think I'll be getting another iPhone until it supports 4G, which should in my estimate be around 2012-2013. It's getting expensive buying iPhones every year, and I am just quite satisfied with the iPhone 4.

If you want to buy it, or feel you need it go ahead and pull the trigger, I maybe wrong but I don't think Apple will do a big leap for 2011-- just under the hood changes. In my thought if Apple will do anything it'll update the processors, cameras, and so forth and perhaps replace the back glass with some new material(I've seen iPhone 4's with a metallic like backcover that they put on the phone). Personally next time I buy an iPhone, it will be for the 4G.

Specs:
    2011 13' Macbook Pro i5
    Quote Originally Posted by TF626 View Post
    So here I am stuck with an iPhone 4 until 12/22/12 but I don't mind at all, iOS5 looks like it's running good on the iPhone 4, and I know Apple will have iOS6 support if it's past history is any indication.
    Well, looks like you won't be seeing it, your contract locks you in to a day after the end of the world!
    Jk, but really, you should have some IOS6 support, but it will probably be missing something key that makes it not the super phone as it is today.

Thread Information