New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iCloud's impact on data usage...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

indychris

indychris will become famous soon enough

Just checking out some of the RSS feeds from CNET this morning and came across this article from 'Dear Maggie'.

Ask Maggie: Wait for iPhone 5 or take Verizon's unlimited data? | Signal Strength - CNET News

In the write-up, the questioner ponders if he should go ahead and get Verizon's unlimited plan b4 it goes away, or wait for the reputed iPhone 5 to arrive on the scene.

In the course of her response, Maggie says this:

Quote:
Most people don't use more than 2GB of data per month. So even though you may feel compelled to rush over to Verizon Wireless now for the unlimited data plan, most likely you'll be fine without it. So I wouldn't make any rash decisions just because you want to hold onto your unlimited data plan.
That got me thinking about data usage. First of all, I think she is absolutely correct in that the vast majority of people don't approach 2GB worth of data transfer/month.

BUT...

Once iCloud is up and running and updates and syncing are primarily taking place via the cloud rather than through a physical computer, will that change? Will people be using drastically more cell bandwidth, or will most of those transfers happen via WiFi?

I've been on AT&T's unlimited plan since day 1, so I'm not worried, but I am curious to see what others think the impact--if any--will be.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

I already effectively have the services they're offering. My data usage is no where close to 2Gb/mo. That being said, I too have a forever-unlimited account

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
dmccloud

dmccloud has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD

Unless Apple completely removes the 20MB limit from OTA downloads (the limit currently in place for iTunes downloads on iOS), the majority of updates will continue to be via WiFi only. I have a 2GB/mo data plan on my iPhone, and the most I've used is about 1.8GB.

-------------------------------------------------
15" Retina MacBook Pro (Late 2013)
2.6 GHz Core i7 | 16GB | 1TB SSD | OS X Mavericks 10.9.3
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I would disagree. Heavy usage of cloud features, especially music and video streaming will impact some users. How much remains to be seen and depends on how efficiently the streaming service works.

QUOTE Thanks
zyepod

zyepod is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 3.06GHz Core 2 Duo 8GB RAM 500GB HDD OSX 10.9.3

Not wanting to highjack your thread. But I just have one question.... Is there a charge to use iCloud?

QUOTE Thanks
kribensis12

kribensis12 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" 2.4 Ghz Duo Core with 8GB of RAM and a 500GB 7200 rpm Hybrid Drive

Only if you use more than 5 GB of space.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Badge Icon App | Wonky "Reminders" App »