New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Reception Issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Savannahr

Savannahr is on a distinguished road

Alright. So I have a brand new Iphone 4 (just had it replaced after my last one shattered) and I'm noticing I have issues (just as I had with my previous phone) with it jumping from having 3-4 bars on 3G to dropping calls and having no service, then immediately going back to having service. It'll alternate up to 4-5 times a minute.

I've had 3 Iphone 4s. Iphone #1 had a software/hardware issue where the screen would freeze, then it would start selecting things on it's own going so far as to call numbers and having no way of hanging up. Iphone #2 was dropped and shattered. Iphone #3 is in seemingly perfect condition (and I hope it stays that way!).

Anyway, it's an issue I've seen in all three phones. It jumping from having service to not and then back within minutes.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Do you have a case on it?
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

There was an issue with iPhone 4's where bridging the gap on the left side with your finger or hand would cause attenuation of signal, causing it to diminish or drop off entirely. As Chas mentioned, a case should resolve that.
QUOTE Thanks
Savannahr

Savannahr is on a distinguished road

I was using a case on the first two phones. Even laying still on a flat surface, such as a countertop, it was having jumpy reception issues. When my phone shattered the hard case went with it (good job case...ugh). So as of now, I'm not using a case. I've noticed and corrected holding positions on the phone, but it does it even when held correctly or not held at all.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

From your description, it sounds defective to me. If it does this consistently (ie not just in your house), I'd have it seen to.
QUOTE Thanks
Rochester

Rochester is on a distinguished road

FWIW, I'm in London, Uk, and I'm sick of searching for rhyme or reason re: coverage. I thought it could be the service supplier but actually, I think the stark reality is that for all the wonderfulness, it's just a really rubbish phone.

Reception is completely random and I've had more times than I care to remember where I've been expecting a call, have literally been looking at my phone in my hand and it simply shows a missed call - doesn't even ring. Calls drop, texts don't register, the actual call quality is very sub-par. And if it isn't doing that it simply says 'no service'. It's just not a very good phone, imo.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

More than likely its the service are there would be more posters with said problem and sales would fall off not increase also mags and sites would be quick to slam it.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochester View Post
it's just a really rubbish phone.
Riiiiight. That's why it's the single most popular model phone in the world. Because it's rubbish. Everyone else who has an iPhone is of course having the EXACT SAME experience as you are. Of course.

At first I thought the problem was the iPhone. Now I'm sure it's the owner.
QUOTE Thanks
Rochester

Rochester is on a distinguished road

I was replying to the OP with my actual experience - I'm not interested in the performance of all the other iphones in the world, I'm interested in mine which is consistently disappointing. And you try breaking a 2 year contract. As I said, there could be issues with the provider but this is my second phone and exactly the same problems persist. I think that there are plenty of us who realise that the actual phone f isn't as good as it could or should be but stick with it for all of the other app/ipod/safari etc etc functionality.

And what a charming chap you are, I hope other posters on this site prove slightly more polite and less dismissive of people posting their actual experience or I wont be staying long.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

Good luck to you then! Bye!
QUOTE Thanks
ozziedog

ozziedog is on a distinguished road

I am on my forth iPhone 4, all having the exact same problem, and while AT&T may not have the best service the Apple Genius Tech said it was a hardware problem. I stay with iPhone due the screen and text makes it easy to read. my two cents.
QUOTE Thanks
ifun71

ifun71 is on a distinguished road

Happened to me too when I got my iphone. I compared the signal with my friend's i4, his got more bars than mine. I made the sale reps changed me another and it gave 1 more bar than the 1st one.
QUOTE Thanks
DeanP

DeanP is on a distinguished road

Switching to 2G (Settings >> General >> Network) seems to solve the reception issue for me. (don't know whether it applies to US networks?).
QUOTE Thanks
ifun71

ifun71 is on a distinguished road

I did that when i'm not searching. Seem likes not all i4 have the same signal strength also depend on where I'm at. I may get a case later hopefully it will help. Any recommend on which case to use.
QUOTE Thanks
DeanP

DeanP is on a distinguished road

iFrogz, Speck and Case-Mate are good case manufacturers and have awesome cases. Why not do some research on those sites?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iphone and ipod apps | iPhone 4 or Samsung Galaxy S2 »