New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone Screen Replacement Problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Qman46

Qman46 is on a distinguished road

So I recently got my screen replaced by JetCity in Chicago for $140... two days later I dropped my phone and the screen shattered again. This time I was determined to change the screen myself. I ordered a new screen, took apart the phone without any kinks, replaced the screen, made sure everything was connected, and put the phone back together. I turned it on and all I saw was a blue vertical bar across the center of the screen, which stayed there for awhile, until the phone finished booting up and then the phone screen went into standby or whatever. I can connect the phone to the computer and it's recognized by iTunes, so everything else in the phone appears to be working except the output to the screen. Thinking it was a faulty replacement screen, I connected my old cracked screen back up, and the same blue bars appeared. I'm not sure what to do at this point. If anyone has any clue as to what the problem is, PLEASE tell me. I've had an iPhone since the original came out and I've been using a $4.99 att goPhone as a replacement and I'm slowly dying while attempting to use it day to day... I'll attach photos of what the phone now looks like when I press the home button to wake it up. Any ideas are MUCH appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0323.JPG (385.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0325.JPG (186.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0326.JPG (189.7 KB, 29 views)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I'm thinking when you dropped your phone the second time it may have damaged something on the logic board. If you're sure you replaced the screen correctly and have gone back over your work, it's likely something else was damaged in the drop besides the screen.
QUOTE Thanks
Qman46

Qman46 is on a distinguished road

Well the sad thing is that the screen still worked fine, just the glass was broken. I just was growing tired of broken glass and wanted it replaced. The screen itself worked flawlessly... just cracked glass. I can swipe my finger along the bottom of the screen now and then tap around and I can hear the clicks as I hit the numbers to enter my passcode.. I just can't see what I'm hitting.
QUOTE Thanks
macguy90

macguy90 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 13-inch, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel Core i7 Processor

I see these kinds of scenarios all too often- honestly, you should've NEVER tried doing it yourself. The iPhone is not designed for average folks to repair it. All you had to do is take it to your nearest Apple Store and have them replace it. OR use AppleCare. NEVER try doing repairs yourself.

 MacBook Air 13'' (2013) 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel Core i7
 iPad 4 (16GB) White
 AT&T iPhone 5 (32GB) Black
 Original iPad (16GB) Black
QUOTE Thanks
lekhraaj

lekhraaj is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBA 11inch, Ipod touch 8gigs 4th+Iphone 3GS, Ipod nano 1.1

my friend has did something like this when his iphone fell in water .....
he blow dry it (till a long time but didnt opened it)
and now even people at istore in dubai are not able to repair it....

so repairing of any electrical devices should left in hand of experts as otherwise you are going to get in trouble if not done properly

bhaag bhaag DK BOSE
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Masta

Mac Masta is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5 inch nvidia 6gb ram, 13 in MacBook pro 320gb 4 gb ram, iPad 16 gb 3G, iPhone 4 Verizon 16g

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy90 View Post
I see these kinds of scenarios all too often- honestly, you should've NEVER tried doing it yourself. The iPhone is not designed for average folks to repair it. All you had to do is take it to your nearest Apple Store and have them replace it. OR use AppleCare. NEVER try doing repairs yourself.
I guess if you like to pay triple to get a new screen the you could do the above
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Masta View Post
I guess if you like to pay triple to get a new screen the you could do the above
And when you do that they usually give you a whole new phone. Then send the phone out to get refurbished.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
aganove

aganove is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qman46 View Post
So I recently got my screen replaced by JetCity in Chicago for $140... two days later I dropped my phone and the screen shattered again. This time I was determined to change the screen myself. I ordered a new screen, took apart the phone without any kinks, replaced the screen, made sure everything was connected, and put the phone back together. I turned it on and all I saw was a blue vertical bar across the center of the screen, which stayed there for awhile, until the phone finished booting up and then the phone screen went into standby or whatever. I can connect the phone to the computer and it's recognized by iTunes, so everything else in the phone appears to be working except the output to the screen. Thinking it was a faulty replacement screen, I connected my old cracked screen back up, and the same blue bars appeared. I'm not sure what to do at this point. If anyone has any clue as to what the problem is, PLEASE tell me. I've had an iPhone since the original came out and I've been using a $4.99 att goPhone as a replacement and I'm slowly dying while attempting to use it day to day... I'll attach photos of what the phone now looks like when I press the home button to wake it up. Any ideas are MUCH appreciated.
I get the same, have you got any solution yet?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Do you find it annoying that you can't keep your simple rubber case... | can't sync iPhone with macbook Pro »