New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Refurb iPhone 3GS battery life bad...or is this normal?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MunkeyQ

MunkeyQ will become famous soon enough

Hi, I'm hoping some fellow 3GS owners can help me on this one. I just treated myself and bought a refurb one as I've seen how useful it is when repairing them...

However, the battery life doesn't appear to be great. It's been on charge for about 6 hours and I took it off about an hour ago and haven't used it since - it's been sleeping. Battery is down to 90% already...

I've cycled it a couple of times to calibrate the 'fuel gauge', and the same thing happens. In fact, the fuel gauge seems to be spot as it hits 1% and then shuts down

Using about 10 mins phone calls, maybe 10 texts and listening to music at the lowest volume for 3hrs (I have very sensitive earphones!), it doesn't get past 3pm when taking it off charge at 8am.

I'm wondering if I should take it back and get it replaced, or is this normal? 3G is on, Wi-Fi searching is off, screen is on half brightness and I'm not using GPS. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
podraig

podraig will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gig,Mac OS X Maverick, Macbook Intel 2gig, iPhone 3G

Unless you are utilising it, click 3G to off, it sucks the battery quickly

Mac is like a car, keep clean and up to date and it will give you many hours of good driving
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Does a refurb mean that they replace the battery as well? If not and it's the original battery, then the battery life you are talking about totally makes sense..

I've got a iPhone 3G that is now 2+ years old with the original battery that is used by my wife has a iPod Touch..From a full charge she can get about 2 hours of basic browsing and mail life out of it..if she uses it for Pandora to stream music, then about 30-45 mins is the max life before it shuts down..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
podraig

Mac Specs: iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gig,Mac OS X Maverick, Macbook Intel 2gig, iPhone 3G

My own, which is an earlier model, 3G, is 3yrs old now, if 3G is turned off, I get two days still, if its on, only about 6hrs

Mac is like a car, keep clean and up to date and it will give you many hours of good driving
QUOTE Thanks
MunkeyQ

MunkeyQ will become famous soon enough

Thanks, I'll switch 3G off. Is there any way to tell it to only enable 3G on demand? My old Nokia N95 could do this, and it saved a lot of battery life.

I don't use push notifications or automatic mail fetching, so it's no loss having the connection only on demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
Does a refurb mean that they replace the battery as well? If not and it's the original battery, then the battery life you are talking about totally makes sense..
I was told that it's got a new battery in there and whatever external parts are required to make it look new again.
QUOTE Thanks
podraig

Short answer, no. You will have to do it manually through settings

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhone 3g permanent DFU + unable to restore | iPhone 4 wrist strap »