New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Best and most protective case for the iPhone 4?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

billwill

billwill is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 8 GB 13" MacBook Pro, 64GB WiFi/4G iPad, 32GB iPhone 5

Other than the Otter, which takes a jackhammer and explosives to get into, what are some other protective cases for the iPhone 4? I'd like something with a belt loop instead of just a clip which can slide off the belt when you're sitting down. There's not much of a selection around my town. TIA.

"Laughter is an instant vacation"
- Milton Berle
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 60GB SSD, 500GB HD

Griffin Tech has a case, I think it's called the Survivor that is supposed to be similar to the Otterbox. Never seen one though.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
brigrat

brigrat is on a distinguished road

The griffin survivor is better than the otter in every way...I own both!
QUOTE Thanks
billwill

billwill is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 8 GB 13" MacBook Pro, 64GB WiFi/4G iPad, 32GB iPhone 5

Thanks for the Griffin tip - I found this case that even meets military specifications (Mil-Spec)! Griffin Technology: ARMORED - Real Proof Survivor and iPod touch Contest

Not crazy about the volume buttons being covered, though.

Thanks for the replies.

"Laughter is an instant vacation"
- Milton Berle
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 60GB SSD, 500GB HD

Most ultimate protection cases completely cover everything, including the buttons and ports to help keep debris out of them.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

Well i have the iballz minis they do not fit well but they are very drop resistant. I have the otterbox and it works really well i went on a class trip to new york and dropped it in a puddle. it sat in the water for about 15 seconds before i got back to it and all of the senors were good and every thing worked. i just truned it off and let it dry for the rest of the day.
QUOTE Thanks
m_charlie_bird

m_charlie_bird is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13" 2.26GHz; iPod Touch; iPhone 4 (Verizon)

I have the Griffin Survivor, and agree it's pretty much bomb proof. However, the hard shell case is just close enough to the audio jack port that any standard size 1/8" audio jack does not fit. Only the thin Apple-type audio jacks will fit. It's kind of annoying to take the case off every time I want to listen to my iPhone using a standard audio jack cable.

Also, the case is bulky, which adds to the protection. It can be quite large in your pocket.

I live a pretty active lifestyle in a somewhat rugged mountain town, so this case will probably stay on my phone for it's life.
QUOTE Thanks
Butah P.

Butah P. is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 2.53GHz Mid 2009, 4GB DDR3 1066MHz, 1TB WD Scorpio Blue 5200 RPM, OS X 10.6.7

I have both the Otterbox Defender and the Commuter. The Defender is too bulky and the Commuter leaves too much exposed. I also have an Incipio Bombproof.It's a bit clunky but it take serious impact and grips great. I also have too many cases, but those are the best for impact.

A few harmless snow flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.
QUOTE Thanks
josh11

josh11 is on a distinguished road

I'm particular to the bumper. But it seems as if you're looking for a full case. Bumper looks simple and clean.
QUOTE Thanks
Butah P.

Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 2.53GHz Mid 2009, 4GB DDR3 1066MHz, 1TB WD Scorpio Blue 5200 RPM, OS X 10.6.7

I like the bumper as well, but there are situations I know I'll be in that need more protection than it can provide me (i.e.: having a few too many drinks and being a butter fingers).

A few harmless snow flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.
QUOTE Thanks
MacLicious

MacLicious will become famous soon enough

Roots makes a rubber case and belt clip holster combo. I was going to buy one but opted for the double the price Otterbox Defender with belt clip holster combo. I think it is much more durable and worth the price. Makes the iPhone 4 feel more substantial. I like the fact that it is very unlikely to be damaged. Just for the record, like all my devices, my iPhone 4 has the Zagg InvisibleShield full body protection also. I guess I have more money than brains - wish my bank account agreed with it though!
QUOTE Thanks
Butah P.

I have the Invisilble Shield on my iPhone 4 for about a week before I had them take it off. It kept on getting messed up even though I followed all the directions.

FYI: If you want the Otterbox Defender, you can get it for $35 through CompUSA/TigerDirect.com: CompUSA.com | OTTRAPL2I4XXX | Otterbox Defender Cell Phone Case- iPhone 4

QUOTE Thanks
Kerrya

Kerrya is on a distinguished road

Eyn products makes a great case! Compact and hold I'd credit cards and room for bills! Really nice'
QUOTE Thanks
deathrock

deathrock is on a distinguished road

My wife got the Vapor Comp in red and I got the Vapor Pro white edition. The Comp packaging is like you would see on an accessory hanger at the store while the Pro came in a nice box with a carrying case as well.

My first impression is that they really look nice and they are pretty light. The quality seems to be there. The Vapor Comp fits perfectly, but the Vapor Pro was a little snug. The Comp came with a silver blackish screwdriver and the Pro came with a silver screw driver. The screws on the Comp are shorter and wider, while the screws on the Pro are longer and thinner so the screw drivers are not interchangeable. There is no obvious sign of signal or GPS lost on either case on the iPhone 4 or 4s.

I decided not to use the back covers or the clear front ones, since I feel that it takes away from the design of the iPhone. My only issue is that the Vapor Pro makes the phone a little wider to grip so that is something to get used too.

Now for the pictures. My wife is the black iPhone 4 and mine is the white iPhone 4s.

Vapor Comp in red

QUOTE Thanks
carlbenh

carlbenh is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Intel Core i5 iPhone 4s iPad the 3rd

Check out the lifeproof case (fully waterproof!). All the reviews I've read/seen don't have anything seriously bad to say for this type of case.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« US iPhone in UK | Restoring From iTunes Back-up Put Everything BUT My Music on iPhone :( »