New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iP4: Home button issues - how to go about getting it replaced?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Noonan

Noonan is on a distinguished road

Hey Guys

I was one of the lucky iPhone 4 preorders to receive their iPhone 4 a day before it came out thanks to FedEx. I guess you could also say that I was one of the lucky ones since I never had a single issue with my iPhone 4 until now.

My home button is starting to not work like it has in the past. Sometimes, when it's locked.. I could hit the home button once and it will wake up the display. Other times I have to hit the home button 4-6 times to get it to wake up the display. The same goes for when using the home button during actual use of the phone, when the screen is already awake. Depending on what I am trying to do (go to the home screen, access multi tasking, etc).

Like I said sometimes it malfunctions and sometimes it doesn't. A month or so ago this was only an issue every few weeks or couple of days, but this getting to be something that is an issue every couple of times I use the phone.

I am wondering how I should go about taking this phone to Apple. I had purchased an iPhone 3G, an iPhone 3GS and an iPhone 4 and never had to have them ever replaced by Apple. My friend was having a pretty serious issue with his iPhone and he wanted to have it replaced. He went back and forth to the iPhone store a handful of times because they kept making him try restoring it, then a fresh restore, etc... I basically just want to go there and have everything already done so all they can say is "OK well we will have to replace it".. Any tips?
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 60GB SSD, 500GB HD

Not going to happen. They will still test everything there. It's procedure, and they'll want to check everything. They'll probably do a fresh restore off of their factory image, just to check that you don't have a bad image.

Once that happens, and the iPhone is still acting weird, they should replace it on the spot.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
Noonan

Noonan is on a distinguished road

Hm.. Well it's something that doesn't always happen. So I guess they're going to do the restore, and it's most likely not going to act up in the store because it never seems to do it when I am trying to get it not function properly. Hopefully this is something that they make a note of- so I don't have to go through it all over again next time the issue occurs.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 60GB SSD, 500GB HD

When you report an issue, they keep track of it. So if you can back with the same issue later, its in their notes for the serial number of that phone.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

I had the same issue for a month and called once and then went to the apple store and they swapped me out for a new one. Mine was either not working or activating vouce control.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhone 4 Home Button | Using Non-Japanese iPhone in Japan, with an Emobile SIM »