Iphone Temporary Service
    Hi All,

I am an expat living in Hong Kong. When I arrived back in August, I purchased an Iphone 3GS. Since it was purchased here in HK, my service is through a local provider with a HK number. Also, this phone is NOT locked to any carrier.

I am spending two months in the US this summer and would like to get a plan through either Verizon or ATT (preferably Verizon) that will allow me to use my Iphone in the US and have a local US phone number.

How does that work. Does anyone know if the prepaid calling plans that are offered will work on an iphone purchased overseas.

Thanks in advance.

Fort Worth, Texas
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    What kind of iPhone do you have? It's likely that it uses GSM which means it may be compatible with AT&T but will not work on Verizon's network.

I don't know of any iPhone 3GS which is compatible with Verizon so you may be limited to AT&T only. Verizon iPhones are version 4. (CDMA)

As for a temporary data plan from AT&T, you can ask but I doubt it. Currently an iPhone plan from AT&T is for 2 years. You can call their customer service and ask or just stop in at an AT&T store when you arrive in the US.

27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3
    You'll want go to any GSM cell provider and start a pay-as-you-go plan that will get you the SIM card and phone number. You should be able to plug that SIM card into the iPhone and use it JUST as a phone with no data or extra functionality..

Other than that, I don't believe there are any real options for a short term iPhone plan as it were..

Thread Information