New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone 3GS - Charging is not supported by this accessory

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dan_1987

dan_1987 is on a distinguished road

I have recently bought a used iPhone 3GS. The phone is up and running, except for one minor issue.

When I connect the iPhone to my Windows PC, I get the message "Charging is not supported by this accessory" with a yellow triangle and an exclamation mark. It will successfully sync but simply won't charge.

I have tried various USB ports and different cables, all official Apple. I have tried restoring the iPhone, reinstalling iTunes etc.

It will however charge from my work laptop, so I am investigating the set up of my USB ports on my PC.

Any other idea's?
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Try to clean the dock connector. Use a swab or some compressed air. I have seen issues in the past with that happening. No guarantees, but it is free!

2.4GHz 13" rMBP 256gb | 2.5GHz Mac Mini w/ FusionDrive | Mac Pro 3,1 2x 2.8GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 64GB Verizon iPhone 6 Plus | iPad 32GB Verizon LTE | iPad mini 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | TV1 | TV3
QUOTE Thanks
dan_1987

Thanks John, but I have tried this already. As I said, it charges fine from another computer with the same cable.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_1987 View Post
Thanks John, but I have tried this already. As I said, it charges fine from another computer with the same cable.
Sorry, missed that last sentence. How old is your Windows PC? Are all the ports USB 2.0??

2.4GHz 13" rMBP 256gb | 2.5GHz Mac Mini w/ FusionDrive | Mac Pro 3,1 2x 2.8GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 64GB Verizon iPhone 6 Plus | iPad 32GB Verizon LTE | iPad mini 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | TV1 | TV3
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The iPhone draws quite a bit of current from the USB port, more so than an iPod for example. It sounds like your Windows PC does not have enough juice flowing thru the USB ports to support charging the phone. You could try a powered hub, but if it were me, I'd just buy one of those handy portable chargers from Belkin. We use one here and at the office and it works real well. They cost around $29.95 at Target or Wal-Mart.
QUOTE Thanks
dan_1987

I was literally just checking my USB ports to see if they are USB2. According to my devices manager, I have one 'enhanced USB' suggesting it is USB2 but having now tried every port, it still won't work.

My PC is quite old now, having been built by my brother many years ago. I think I might be best trying a friends 3GS on this PC to see, as it is certainly pointing towards that rather than the iPhone.

I forgot to say, I used to own an iPhone 3G and had no problems there, but as you've suggested, I understand that the 3GS uses a bit more juice.
QUOTE Thanks
D'artagnan

D'artagnan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac

Hi folks,

I am getting this same message on my 3GS, but the phone is not connected to anything. It pops up on my iPhone screen, I tap the "Dismiss" button, and it is back 30 seconds later.

I have cycled the power, deleted the last 3 apps I downloaded, and done a restore. I'm out of ideas.

**Edit**
OK, I've found a couple of other threads about this. Bent pin may be the thing. Problem goes away when I plug it into a charger.

Dragons Slain, Damsels Rescued
No Dragon too small, No maiden too Faire, No Reward too Large
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_1987 View Post
I was literally just checking my USB ports to see if they are USB2. According to my devices manager, I have one 'enhanced USB' suggesting it is USB2 but having now tried every port, it still won't work.

"Enhanced USB" ≠ USB 2. I think you've found the problem, and the problem is that your USB ports (which are almost certainly 1.0 and 1.1) don't carry enough juice.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Some hubs will throw put this error even if the iPhone is charging. Even if the port is new enough to have USB 3 connections. Since I started syncing via wifi I usually don't plug into the computer via USB.

I have a USB hub attached to the port on my Time Capsule. With the phone connected that error appears. Funny thing is the phone charges. I have not timed it to be sure but the phone may be charging a bit slower than it does connected to either the computer's USB port or electrical outlet.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mr. Moore from Anchorage, KY… Missing a receipt? | Will my 4S work in Australia »