iPhone 3GS - Charging is not supported by this accessory
    I have recently bought a used iPhone 3GS. The phone is up and running, except for one minor issue.

When I connect the iPhone to my Windows PC, I get the message "Charging is not supported by this accessory" with a yellow triangle and an exclamation mark. It will successfully sync but simply won't charge.

I have tried various USB ports and different cables, all official Apple. I have tried restoring the iPhone, reinstalling iTunes etc.

It will however charge from my work laptop, so I am investigating the set up of my USB ports on my PC.

Any other idea's?

Specs:
    -->
    Try to clean the dock connector. Use a swab or some compressed air. I have seen issues in the past with that happening. No guarantees, but it is free!
    13" rMBP 256gb | Mac Mini | 24" ACD | 128GB Verizon iPhone 7 Plus | 128GB iPad Pro LTE | 16GB iPad mini 2 | Gen 7 Nano | Gen 4 iPod Touch | TV1 | TV3 | TV4 | Watch Sport 42mm Space Gray

Thanks John, but I have tried this already. As I said, it charges fine from another computer with the same cable.

Specs:
    -->
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_1987 View Post
    Thanks John, but I have tried this already. As I said, it charges fine from another computer with the same cable.
    Sorry, missed that last sentence. How old is your Windows PC? Are all the ports USB 2.0??
    13" rMBP 256gb | Mac Mini | 24" ACD | 128GB Verizon iPhone 7 Plus | 128GB iPad Pro LTE | 16GB iPad mini 2 | Gen 7 Nano | Gen 4 iPod Touch | TV1 | TV3 | TV4 | Watch Sport 42mm Space Gray

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    The iPhone draws quite a bit of current from the USB port, more so than an iPod for example. It sounds like your Windows PC does not have enough juice flowing thru the USB ports to support charging the phone. You could try a powered hub, but if it were me, I'd just buy one of those handy portable chargers from Belkin. We use one here and at the office and it works real well. They cost around $29.95 at Target or Wal-Mart.

I was literally just checking my USB ports to see if they are USB2. According to my devices manager, I have one 'enhanced USB' suggesting it is USB2 but having now tried every port, it still won't work.

My PC is quite old now, having been built by my brother many years ago. I think I might be best trying a friends 3GS on this PC to see, as it is certainly pointing towards that rather than the iPhone.

I forgot to say, I used to own an iPhone 3G and had no problems there, but as you've suggested, I understand that the 3GS uses a bit more juice.

Specs:
    27" iMac 13,2, i7, 3Tb, 24G RAM
    Same problem with a twist
    Hi folks,

I am getting this same message on my 3GS, but the phone is not connected to anything. It pops up on my iPhone screen, I tap the "Dismiss" button, and it is back 30 seconds later.

I have cycled the power, deleted the last 3 apps I downloaded, and done a restore. I'm out of ideas.

**Edit**
    OK, I've found a couple of other threads about this. Bent pin may be the thing. Problem goes away when I plug it into a charger.
    Dragons Slain, Damsels Rescued
    No Dragon too small, No maiden too Faire, No Reward too Large

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_1987 View Post
    I was literally just checking my USB ports to see if they are USB2. According to my devices manager, I have one 'enhanced USB' suggesting it is USB2 but having now tried every port, it still won't work.

"Enhanced USB" ≠ USB 2. I think you've found the problem, and the problem is that your USB ports (which are almost certainly 1.0 and 1.1) don't carry enough juice.

Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    Some hubs will throw put this error even if the iPhone is charging. Even if the port is new enough to have USB 3 connections. Since I started syncing via wifi I usually don't plug into the computer via USB.

I have a USB hub attached to the port on my Time Capsule. With the phone connected that error appears. Funny thing is the phone charges. I have not timed it to be sure but the phone may be charging a bit slower than it does connected to either the computer's USB port or electrical outlet.
    "Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Thread Information