New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Prepping iPhone 3G for sale - Question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jrector

jrector is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13", 8gb RAM, 750gb HD

I have an iPhone 3G sitting around collecting dust. I upgraded to the 4 last summer. I'm surprised that folks are still getting $150-200 for them on Ebay. Sometimes more. Besides restoring the OS to factory condition and removing the SIM what else should I do to it? Can I get more jailbroken? Is there an "unlock" step that needs to happen?

MacBook Pro 13", 8gb RAM, 750gb HD.
IPad 2, 16gb, Wifi - 3G.
iPhone 4, 16gb
QUOTE Thanks
AUZambo

AUZambo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrector View Post
I have an iPhone 3G sitting around collecting dust. I upgraded to the 4 last summer. I'm surprised that folks are still getting $150-200 for them on Ebay. Sometimes more. Besides restoring the OS to factory condition and removing the SIM what else should I do to it? Can I get more jailbroken? Is there an "unlock" step that needs to happen?

I would imagine you coudl get a lot more by jailbreaking and unlocking. I sold two 8 GB 3G phones last summer for a total of $420. Both were jailbroken and unlocked. I also had the original boxes and included brand new headphones and charging cables.

Jailbreaking and unlocking is two different steps, and the method used depends on the firmware you are using. Neither is difficult, but some are easier than others. Most jailbreaks require you to download software to your computer, plug the phone into the computer, then run the software.

After jailbreaking, you go into Cydia (the jailbroken app store) and run something called repo666.ultrasn0w.com (or something like that) to unlock the phone. That way it can be used for T-Mobile as well as AT&T.

There's another forum, www.modmyi.com, dedicated to things like jailbreaking. You can find a lot of answers there.
QUOTE Thanks
jrector

jrector is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13", 8gb RAM, 750gb HD

Thanks for the info. That certainly gives me an idea what to do.

MacBook Pro 13", 8gb RAM, 750gb HD.
IPad 2, 16gb, Wifi - 3G.
iPhone 4, 16gb
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
[/COLOR]

I would imagine you coudl get a lot more by jailbreaking and unlocking. I sold two 8 GB 3G phones last summer for a total of $420. Both were jailbroken and unlocked. I also had the original boxes and included brand new headphones and charging cables.

Jailbreaking and unlocking is two different steps, and the method used depends on the firmware you are using. Neither is difficult, but some are easier than others. Most jailbreaks require you to download software to your computer, plug the phone into the computer, then run the software.

After jailbreaking, you go into Cydia (the jailbroken app store) and run something called repo666.ultrasn0w.com (or something like that) to unlock the phone. That way it can be used for T-Mobile as well as AT&T.

There's another forum, www.modmyi.com, dedicated to things like jailbreaking. You can find a lot of answers there.
Maybe slightly off-topic, but with the sale of T-Mobile to AT&T is there really much point in unlocking now?

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
AUZambo

AUZambo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
Maybe slightly off-topic, but with the sale of T-Mobile to AT&T is there really much point in unlocking now?
Yeah...I don't know. It'll probably be a year 'til the merger is complete, so I guess there's still time to cash in, but after the merger I don't see any need unless there's another GSM provider I'm unaware of.

Maybe you could unlock it and sell it on ebay to someone in another country with a GSM provider??
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Mad

Mac Mad can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 2011 macbook pro 13.3'' i7 750gb 8gb ram, iPad 3 64gb white, black iPhone 5

when selling give the option to jailbreak it for free because you open up to more customers

by Mac Mad
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help, my iPhone won't sync :( | Can't read Podcast titles »