Thread: "Airplane Mode"

Winston-Salem, NC
    8 GB 13" MacBook Pro, 64GB WiFi/4G iPad, 32GB iPhone 5
    "Airplane Mode"
    Exactly what does "Airplane Mode" do. Evidently, it's not effective when you're on a commercial airplane; last week on all of my 4 flights on Delta Airlines, the flight attendant made the usual announcement about turning off cell phones and emphasized they were NOT to be in "Airplane Mode" but turned completely OFF.

I ask because the iPhone 4 takes a bit to come on once you power it up; it would be great to just put it into "Airplane Mode" if that indeed wouldn't interfere with the airplane's navigation system.

"Laughter is an instant vacation"
    - Milton Berle

27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    United does the same thing now. I simply ignore them. They are worried about interference with the flight control systems but Airplane Mode disables the radio set in the phone that could cause interference. The FAA has concluded that other electronic devices pose no threat to the operation of the aircraft but they have yet to lift the ban. Apparently they believe, and probably rightfully so, that the hardware would become a physical safety issue were things to awry during take off or landing so the warnings appear to be more physical safety related than electrical. Making you turn it off means you are not going to use it and therefore it is less likely to be a safety hazard.

Bretforton, Worcestershire
    MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
    I agree with baggss, I too think it is more of a physical safety more than anything. As stated "Airplane mode" turns off the radio for network connection and also turns off bluetooth and wifi.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
    May 2011
    Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011

Cleveland, Ohio
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    They make you turn off all electronics during take off and landing, always have. When cruising you can use your iPhone in airplane mode.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

2008 15" MBP Yosemite, 2012 21.5" iMac Yosemite
    Myth Busters have dispelled that mobile phones create any type of interference on airplanes.
    It's more to get you to pay attention to their little seat-belt-safety-exit-dance.
    64GB iPhone 6, 64GB iPad Air 2.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.

March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
    Quote Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
    Myth Busters have dispelled that mobile phones create any type of interference on airplanes.
    It's more to get you to pay attention to their little seat-belt-safety-exit-dance.
    It's annoying too. You can read a magazine - but not the book on your iPad. I've even seen them walk right by someone reading a book on a Kindle - in the same seating row as me - yet only remind me - to turn the iPad off - and I'm just reading a book, same as the Kindle.

Would be nice if they'd overhaul their policies a bit to allow for e-Readers including the iPad, but of course, policy always lags - significantly.

Thread Information