New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iphone 4 screen TOTALLY shattered :(


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
TheGreatApple

 
TheGreatApple's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 28, 2009
Location: Texas Baby! ;)
Posts: 242
TheGreatApple is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2

TheGreatApple is offline
Oh the irony...

After buying a new case (still waiting on shipping) I dropped my new iphone 4 on the street screen first. Totally shattered, even cut myself on the glass.

So two important questions that hopefully you guys can really help with.

1. I still have my 3G and need something until I figure this out. I backed up my iphone 4 on itunes but how do I activate my 3g and go back to that in the meantime?

2. Does anyone know what I can do with the phone now? Apple's closed now so I can't call them right now, but do they have the same deal like they do with water damage where I bring it in and can get it replaced for the $299 price I paid for it?

Thanks so much guys....so darn bummed out right now
QUOTE Thanks
bentharbour

 
bentharbour's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 23, 2011
Location: Columbia SC
Posts: 301
bentharbour has a spectacular aura about

bentharbour is offline
Hello, I am assuming that the $299 you paid for it was with the two year contract?

Out of my experiences, not many phone companies will sell you another iPhone for the same price, you will have to pay for it full price.

You could possibly look to places like iResQ or a similar website who can replace the broken glass, LCD, and Digitizer for a fairly good price. iResQ is an authorized apple repair, and I've only heard great things. I would make sure it is what you need before you send off, maybe shoot them an email and ensure that is what you need.

All you need to do to "activate" your old iphone should be to insert your sim card, I am not sure you would have to do anything else.

 15" MBPr (2012): 2.3Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD  24" Apple Cinema Display  iPhone 5 16GB Black  iPad 2 16GB White
QUOTE Thanks
roflitskyle

 
roflitskyle's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 23, 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 544
roflitskyle has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD

roflitskyle is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentharbour View Post
All you need to do to "activate" your old iphone should be to insert your sim card, I am not sure you would have to do anything else.
You might have to re-sync your contacts, but other than that you should be good to go.

-Kyle
QUOTE Thanks
TheGreatApple

 
TheGreatApple's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 28, 2009
Location: Texas Baby! ;)
Posts: 242
TheGreatApple is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2

TheGreatApple is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentharbour View Post
Hello, I am assuming that the $299 you paid for it was with the two year contract?

Out of my experiences, not many phone companies will sell you another iPhone for the same price, you will have to pay for it full price.

You could possibly look to places like iResQ or a similar website who can replace the broken glass, LCD, and Digitizer for a fairly good price. iResQ is an authorized apple repair, and I've only heard great things. I would make sure it is what you need before you send off, maybe shoot them an email and ensure that is what you need.

All you need to do to "activate" your old iphone should be to insert your sim card, I am not sure you would have to do anything else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roflitskyle View Post
You might have to re-sync your contacts, but other than that you should be good to go.

-Kyle
Hey guys...doesn't seem like I can just sync the phone to activate it and different sim cards so they don't both fit. Thanks so much for the responses though!

Going to go into to Apple and see what they can do. I know that they still have the water damage deal that I've used on my 3G before where if you water damage it you can just bring it in and exchange for a new one that's exactly like yours for the same early upgrade cost. In my case the $299 I hope they have that for the iphone 4 glass breaking issue and I'm still within my 30 day period from when I bought it.

Crossing my fingers :/

**** That's Good Beer! - The Orignal Beer Bloggin' *******
QUOTE Thanks
bentharbour

 
bentharbour's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 23, 2011
Location: Columbia SC
Posts: 301
bentharbour has a spectacular aura about

bentharbour is offline
Oh you have a MicroSD. If Apple cannot do anything for you, you may have to purchase a regular sim card from your carrier (AT&T, Verizon, etc.)

Hopefully apple can do something to help you out in your situation!

 15" MBPr (2012): 2.3Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD  24" Apple Cinema Display  iPhone 5 16GB Black  iPad 2 16GB White
QUOTE Thanks
thekilierdonut

 
thekilierdonut's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 21, 2011
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 71
thekilierdonut is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.5GHz i5 MBP, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, NVIDIA Geforce GT 330m/16GB iPhone 4 in a brick sized otterbox.

thekilierdonut is offline
Ouch, this hurts. I shattered the back of my iPhone 4 about four months ago. It got jumping jacked on at Army Reserve drill. (Don't ask) Anyway, I know the Apple store will replace the back for $29USD but I'm not sure about the front. I'm sure they charge a lot more for that. I don't have a solution for you, I just wanted to convey my sympathy!
QUOTE Thanks
AUZambo

 
AUZambo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 06, 2006
Posts: 282
AUZambo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram

AUZambo is offline
How comfortable are you with fixing it yourself? Here's a replacement screen/digitizer/LCD for $77.53.

Amazon.com: Apple Iphone 4 Digitizer + LCD Assembly + 7 Piece Tool Kit + Exclusive Zeetron Microfiber Cloth (9 Piece Kit): Electronics
QUOTE Thanks
TheGreatApple

 
TheGreatApple's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 28, 2009
Location: Texas Baby! ;)
Posts: 242
TheGreatApple is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2

TheGreatApple is offline
Ok guys!

Wanted to update everyone on this!

First of all, thanks so much for all the help and concern!

So here's the deal, took it over to apple and they can't just replace the glass because it's the front screen that's totally shattered.

But like with water damaged phones they do have a program that let's you swap out phones and get a brand new one of the same type (black and 32GB) for $199. An expensive mistake...yep :/ but I would rather have a brand new phone then a repaired one (that's just me).

So if you smash your phone...know that you can always go to Apple and that option is always on the table.

Thanks again guys!

**** That's Good Beer! - The Orignal Beer Bloggin' *******
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

 
MYmacROX's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 17, 2009
Posts: 3,599
MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

MYmacROX is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatApple View Post
Ok guys!

Wanted to update everyone on this!

First of all, thanks so much for all the help and concern!

So here's the deal, took it over to apple and they can't just replace the glass because it's the front screen that's totally shattered.

But like with water damaged phones they do have a program that let's you swap out phones and get a brand new one of the same type (black and 32GB) for $199. An expensive mistake...yep :/ but I would rather have a brand new phone then a repaired one (that's just me).

So if you smash your phone...know that you can always go to Apple and that option is always on the table.

Thanks again guys!
That is really good news! I mean, it's a shame it isn't a little cheaper than $200, but at least the option is there if it ever happens. That isn't part of Apple Care is it? Did you have Apple Care on that iPhone?
As klutzy as my wife is, I have a feeling this will be something we have to do some day.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
TheGreatApple

 
TheGreatApple's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 28, 2009
Location: Texas Baby! ;)
Posts: 242
TheGreatApple is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2

TheGreatApple is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
That is really good news! I mean, it's a shame it isn't a little cheaper than $200, but at least the option is there if it ever happens. That isn't part of Apple Care is it? Did you have Apple Care on that iPhone?
As klutzy as my wife is, I have a feeling this will be something we have to do some day.
Unfortunately no it's not part of apple care and in fact neither the original warranty or apple care will cover accidental damage like dropping or water damage etc. But compared to many other phone manufactures I guess it's pretty cool that they will at least let you buy an iphone "at cost" compared to having to pay full off contract pricing of $699.

Seriously, get a good case for your 4. It's far more fragile than the 3G ever was. My new case from Incase arrives on Thursday and it can't come sooner.

**** That's Good Beer! - The Orignal Beer Bloggin' *******
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« iPhone - AppleCare Protection Plan - Can get it for my VZW iPhone 4? | Videos not showing up or playing on iPhone 4? »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Get an iPhone now or wait for Verizon?? 17MBPro iPhone Hardware and Accessories 7 10-20-2010 03:46 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?