New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

New VZW iPhone owners - accidental damage insurance

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Not sure about AT&T, but Verizon offers a $10/mo. insurance program that protects against loss/theft/accidental damage, etc. I had opted for this, but a friend of mine pointed out that Squaretrade is offering a better warranty with a lower deductible on sale right now for $81:

Verizon iPhone Insurance Alternative | iPhone 4 Insurance | SquareTrade iPhone Warranty | SquareTrade Warranties

Not bad compared to $240 for Verizon's coverage over the course of 2 years. Did a bit of research on Squaretrade and people seem to be satisfied with them. For $81, and considering how susceptible the iPhone 4 seems to be, it seems like pretty cheap insurance.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

AT&T has something, but it sucks. If I remember reading the e-mail correctly it was $250 up front (just to sign up) AND $10/month. In the end you paid for a whole new phone. This is one of those areas where competition will probably be good. It'll force AT&T to improve things like this.

I'll have to see if I can dig out the e-mail and post it here....

QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I didn't even think AT&T offered insurance for the iPhone, I thought it was excluded from the program?

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I got the e-mail about a week before the VZW announcement. I suspect it had something to do with that.

QUOTE Thanks
McNewby

McNewby is on a distinguished road

I have a friend that is a State Farm Agent. One of our other buddies was busting his chops about insuring all of his families phones. Apparently, if they weren't pulling my leg, you can insure your phone through State Farm for about $50 per year. Dunk it, lose it, grind it, etc and you get a replacement. I need to check it out but has anyone else heard about this?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNewby View Post
I have a friend that is a State Farm Agent. One of our other buddies was busting his chops about insuring all of his families phones. Apparently, if they weren't pulling my leg, you can insure your phone through State Farm for about $50 per year. Dunk it, lose it, grind it, etc and you get a replacement. I need to check it out but has anyone else heard about this?
Most home owners/renter insurance will cover your phone just as it would cover your TV or Stereo. You just need to check with your agent.

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNewby View Post
Not sure that I would want to file a claim on my homeowners over a $500 phone. The long-term rate increase probably wouldn't be worth it.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Not sure that I would want to file a claim on my homeowners over a $500 phone. The long-term rate increase probably wouldn't be worth it.
I think it depends on your policy. You can get specific insurance to cover electronics as part of your policy these days, vice the general policy, and the rates are pretty reasonable. My renters policy has a $50 deductible for lost, stolen or damaged electronics. It includes my phones, TVs computers etc....

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Most home owners policies offer what is called "scheduling". Which means you can separately insure high value items such as your wife's diamond engagement ring set, electronics, and so forth. Otherwise your home owner's policy would insure those items according to their deductible. Most policies here in Texas are written with a 1% deductible. Which means a $1000 deductible for a home valued at $100,000.
QUOTE Thanks
lindamm99

lindamm99 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbookpro, ipad, ipod, iphone (Verizon)

The cost of the Verizon iphone warranty is $10.99 or $132 a year. I had trouble finding a copy of the policy but finally did. It is TEC Asurion and this is the link I found:Calling Features: Total Equipment Coverage – now with Mobile Recovery
I got the first bill and I did get the $10.99 charge but in the description of the policy, it says that that rate is for the tablets. Anyway, it also says there is a $129 deductible per claim and it is remanufactured equipment. They also offer mobile recovery which you can get yourself with "find my iphone". I know the cost of the phones is high but this seems to not be worth it. I have never lost a phone or gotten one wet but i have had one go bad on me so I am canceling it. The $69 Applecare plan sounds good for me.
QUOTE Thanks
Ramimac1

Ramimac1 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram

I set up with state farm at one point for my Digital SLR and multiple lenses for $35 a year..
$3500 value in camera equipment.

and as they said i cold toss it down a volcano myself and it would be covered no deductible.

Old time Computer Hardware Tech
Ohh My Typing Sucks Live with it

Snoopy is the Man !!!
QUOTE Thanks
MelissaR

MelissaR is on a distinguished road

Another dilemma . . . first, which case to protect my iPhone with & now insuring it. I was all set to purchase the Apple Care Plan, but the SquareTrade sounds like a great way to go. Can anyone recommend one over the other? There are pros & cons to both options which makes this a hard decision.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Keep in mind that AppleCare is NOT insurance. It's an extended warranty. If you drop the phone, get it wet, break a screen, or otherwise damage it, you're out of luck. I have never used Squaretrade before, but the reviews look solid and you can't beat the price.

QUOTE Thanks
Haley

Haley is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaR View Post
Another dilemma . . . first, which case to protect my iPhone with & now insuring it. I was all set to purchase the Apple Care Plan, but the SquareTrade sounds like a great way to go. Can anyone recommend one over the other? There are pros & cons to both options which makes this a hard decision.

I have the Otterbox defender case & it is awesome. Highly recommended.
Personally the SquareTrade deal sounds like the way to go.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindamm99 View Post
The cost of the Verizon iphone warranty is $10.99 or $132 a year. I had trouble finding a copy of the policy but finally did. It is TEC Asurion and this is the link I found:Calling Features: Total Equipment Coverage now with Mobile Recovery
I got the first bill and I did get the $10.99 charge but in the description of the policy, it says that that rate is for the tablets. Anyway, it also says there is a $129 deductible per claim and it is remanufactured equipment. They also offer mobile recovery which you can get yourself with "find my iphone". I know the cost of the phones is high but this seems to not be worth it. I have never lost a phone or gotten one wet but i have had one go bad on me so I am canceling it. The $69 Applecare plan sounds good for me.
The Squaretrade insurance has a $50 deductible. It's $81 (right now) for two years. Compare that to Verizon/Asurion at $11/mo for 24 months and you're out $264. Also, that insurance does not cover manufacturer defects or full submersion in liquid, which the Squaretrade does.

AppleCare is NOT, repeat NOT insurance. It is simply an extended warranty. This is an important distinction - a warranty covers you against a manufacturer's defect. In solid-state electronics with no moving parts, that is extremely rare. Compared to the risk of dropping the phone, losing it, having it stolen, etc, it's almost non-existent. Now, it does buy you 2 years of toll-free, 24/7 tech support - but if you're fairly savvy with electronics, I'm sure you could do without it.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help finding headphones!! | LOST all my info while updating to iOS4 »