New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Can the Iphone 4 push pop email accounts like a BB?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Steve Adams

Steve Adams is on a distinguished road

I want my pop email to push to my inbox on my iphone. Can it be done with a pop account? That was one feature of my blackberry that I really miss. As soon as an email came into my inbox, it was in my phone. no waiting 15min etc. it was instant. can I do this with my new Iphone.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

That all depends on the email account provider. The phone is capable of receiving push email.

Who's your email with?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Steve Adams

rogers canada

it worked with my blackberry, so it should with my iphone then. how do you set it up?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

Blackberry mail is different in that it's a paid for server push service funded by your blackberry purchase/contract.

However I believe Rogers use email provided by Yahoo which provide a push service.

I've always has a few issues with yahoo push reliability, always preferred the gmail exchange method personally. That said just delete the yahoo settings reboot your phone then re-input the settings set to push rather than fetch and try that.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Silverado

Silverado is on a distinguished road

I just set up a new iP4 on Rogers; I was able to configure my 2 email accounts without issue, but push doesn't seem to work regardless of how I adjust the settings.

One account is from Shaw, and the other my company's domain, hosted by IDK who...
QUOTE Thanks
Weiser878

Weiser878 can only hope to improve

I use microsoft exchange as a work around. It offers instant push, but I think its IMAP not POP3

I have a Gmail acct, FWIW:

How to Set Up Push Gmail in iPhone Mail - Step by Step Screenshot Walkthrough - About Email
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

That's my preferred solution too. It obviously involves an email switch which isn't for everyone but it works very well..

Link to official google instructions which are a bit more up-to-date than the previous link

QUOTE Thanks
Steve Adams

What do you mean, email switch?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Adams View Post
What do you mean, email switch?

As in a switch from whichever email provider you use now to gmail

QUOTE Thanks
Steve Adams

Oh ok. I will probably get a gmail account and forward my emails to it
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

So what's the advantage of push email over just having your phone check for email periodically? I never really understood the need for push email, especially since it just uses the battery faster anyway.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
So what's the advantage of push email over just having your phone check for email periodically? I never really understood the need for push email, especially since it just uses the battery faster anyway.
Depends how quickly you want your email I guess, personal preference and all that.

Though one thing of note. On my 3GS or iPhone 4 I've never had any battery drain issues receiving push email.

If everything's working as it should Push should use less power. The exception being if you have mountains of constantly arriving email, in which case, timed requests would suit more.

QUOTE Thanks
Weiser878

Weiser878 can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
I find it uses less battery. I have fetch turned off.

I need to get my email as quickly as possible, my livelihood depends on it. 15 minutes can be enough of a gap that I might lose a job. Also, a lot of people use email to communicate in real time in leiu of text or messaging.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sharing ITunes music with IPhone | Anyone know where I can find a deal on the current iPhone? »