New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone Back Up File Conversion

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zachfaust

zachfaust is on a distinguished road

Basically what happened is that I accidentally overwrote my 3 most recent iTunes back ups of my iPhone 4. I actually had done a Time Machine back up 2 days earlier. After realizing this, I went into the Time Machine back up files and found the iPhone back up I need. The file (library/application support/mobilebackup) has about 3,000 files inside of it. The name is just a bunch of random characters. How can I take this file and make it usable in iTunes to back up my iPhone?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachfaust View Post
... How can I take this file and make it usable in iTunes to back up my iPhone?
Don't know what you mean. That old backup has nothing to do with doing another backup of your iPhone. It would only be used to restore your iPhone to that backup.

In any case:

Enter Time Machine
highlight the file you want
click on the Restore button at the bottom

Time Machine will put the file back in it's original location

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
zachfaust

I guess I forgot to mention that the backup I did on Time Machine failed. I had to "show package contents" of the .inprogress file that was on my external hard drie and search for the iPhone backup files.
QUOTE Thanks
zachfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Don't know what you mean. That old backup has nothing to do with doing another backup of your iPhone. It would only be used to restore your iPhone to that backup.
Sorry, I meant restore my iPhone, not back it up. It is basically blank right now. And if I try to restore it from a backup on iTunes, the most recent working one is from October of '09.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Library / Application Support / Mobilesync / Backup

If those particular folders were backed up completely, should be a simple matter of drag and drop them from the backup into the same location on your drive and they should work. If they were not backed up and/or the folder/files in question are corrupted, you're not going to get them back.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
zachfaust

Ok, I copied the backup file I need into the current backup files and it looks like it might have worked. I sent my iPhone in for blacktie protection replacement because the screen cracked, but I will try to restore it when the new phone comes in.

Thank you for your help
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iphone charging issue, need help!!! | iphone4 creates collisions in my home wifi network »