New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Iphone 5 have we?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mystified

mystified is on a distinguished road

all are now speculating on the Iphone 5 release date coming in June?

we have seen the verizon iphone 4 with changes made to it and hotspot included to work on cdma.

now we hear of a new beta version for at&t Iphone 4.3 which includes the hotspot and?

so what makes me think that while tight lipped apple remains silent that we in fact are looking at the next Iphone 4G for at&t for this years release in June or?
with a total new release on both carriers in 2012 when more 4G coverage in place on both carriers.

to me this strategy sounds more like the game plan than releasing a LTE or AT&T 4G phone when more folks can be able to use the newer faster networks!

what do you think is it possible I just might be correct? mystified
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Agreed. My guess is an updated iPhone 4 in June and an iPhone 5 in Summer 2012. This jives with the 2 year contractual requirements for the iPhone 4 from both carriers and allows Apple to sell more phones and both carriers to keep more customers when the update comes in 12. Everyone wins, especially Apple. Couple that with the fact that Apple has pretty much said it's a yearly update cycle and a 2 year update with new hardware. This also gives both carriers the time to get their LTE networks up and running and the iPhone 5 hardware can go back to one device for both carriers.

QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

We will definitely see new hardware this summer. Whether it's a major update or just a simple refresh is anyone's guess (most probably a simple refresh). As for whether it'll be a simultaneous AT&T and Verizon launch is, again, anybody's guess. However, it's pretty much guaranteed that you won't be seeing LTE on the iPhone till 2012 at the earliest. Apple isn't exactly on the cutting edge (just look at the first iPhone, didn't have 3G even though AT&T had a well established 3G network).

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Cobras7

Cobras7 is on a distinguished road

I have been waiting for ANY Iphone to come to Verizon and frankly if I buy the Iphone 4 and there just happens to be an Iphone 5 coming out in June I would be P O'd. Especially if i signed a 2 year contract. So for me, I hope it is a software update that i can add to my (soon to be my) Iphone 4 not a whole new model. Anyway if there is i think i will be satisfied with my Iphone 4 because it is my first one right? What do you think?

Rave Reviews
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future

There will definitely be a software update that the iPhone 4 will be getting, just as the 3GS and the 3G and the 2G got once new models were released. However, I can guarantee that there will most definitely be some new hardware coming out this summer, just like it has every summer since 2007. Keep in mind that if there are any updates that are hardware specific to the next version of the iPhone, then those updates will not be available on the iPhone 4.

If the iPhone 4 satisfies all of your needs, then yes, it will continue to do that beyond the release of a new iPhone. I used the 3G for two years, despite the 3GS being available one year after purchase. The 3G was still fully functional up until I upgraded to the iPhone 4. There are still people out there using the 2G, 3G, and 3GS models despite the existence of the iPhone 4. So to answer your question, yes, the iPhone 4 will continue to serve your needs well past the release of the next iPhone and possibly even the one after that.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I just read that AT&T was doing HPSA+ AND LTE for 4G. Interesting....

Wonder how or if this will impact the hardware in the 4G iPhone when it debuts.

QUOTE Thanks
allinone

allinone is on a distinguished road

I guess u'r right.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
I just read that AT&T was doing HPSA+ AND LTE for 4G. Interesting....

Wonder how or if this will impact the hardware in the 4G iPhone when it debuts.
Qualcomm currently has LTE + HSPA+ chips, but they're too big to fit into an iPhone. I imagine in a year or so when LTE sees wide deployment, Apple will use the hybrid chipset.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
brucewl

brucewl is an unknown at this point

The 4g are building in soem countries, so I think the next 2 generations of iPhone will foucs on it.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I've moved your post to a more proper forum; please be sure to check the forum descriptions in the future to find the best place to post.

By posting in the right forum you help people not only find your question faster, but it helps others looking for the same information in the future.

Thanks for understanding!

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Steve Adams

Steve Adams is on a distinguished road

the way i see it, the 3g iphone 4 that I have on the telus network in canada is very very fast, so I am sooooo happy with my new iphone. I had an HTC hero before my iphone and there is no comparison...
QUOTE Thanks
iHarrison

iHarrison can only hope to improve

Although Apple's focus seems to be almost solely on its domestic market (as is the case with most American companies), the fact that it sells so much (especially phones) overseas might lead to it holding-off on the release of 4G phones.

There are some countries where 4G is only just getting established, and here in Britain there is *no* public commercial deployment of 4G yet (exactly why, I don't know).

So, they could-well release a carrier-non-specific, still 3G just with updated specs, iPhone 4S this autumn; and then roll-out the iPhone 5 with 4G connectivity in the summer next year...
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHarrison View Post
So, they could-well release a carrier-non-specific, still 3G just with updated specs, iPhone 4S this autumn; and then roll-out the iPhone 5 with 4G connectivity in the summer next year...
Although you're picking up on an outdated thread, I have to say I agree with your prediction.
QUOTE Thanks
iHarrison

iHarrison can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Although you're picking up on an outdated thread,
Oh, yeah... It is old!

That's really weird, because this was definitely on the first page of the "iPhone Hardware and Accessories" sub-forum, that's how I came across it. Must've been a glitch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
I have to say I agree with your prediction.
Well, thank you
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Until battery life gets better with 4G I don't see Apple adopting it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is this possible? | Iphone 3GS crashes when below 20% battery »