New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone 3Gs doesn't connect to iTunes

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ffarg

ffarg is on a distinguished road

... or iTunes doesn't see the phone - either way around I'm now at a loss.

This has been happening for a number of weeks (probably months) and the phone seems to only connect to iTunes randomly, usually after several attempts and disconnecting/restarting the mac and the phone. I have tried two different USB leads in different USB ports with no real joy.

The mac I'm using is a macbook running 10.6 and the latest version of iTunes (10.1.1) installed/upgraded today. The iPhone is running 3.1.2 - I've been wanting to upgrade the iPhone OS for days now but can't without the connection.

Annoyingly, I did manage to connect the phone this morning, before I upgraded to 10.6 but now, nothing.

I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or knows of a solution?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Has this connection issue always been present and mainly with your Macbook? Does it connect a lot more reliably with another computer? If not, perhaps there is some damage to the USB connector on the iPhone and that's causing the intermittent connectivity problems..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
ffarg

ffarg is on a distinguished road

Hi

thanks, it's not always been an issue, just over recent months - the iPhone will charge from the macbook, just isn't 'seen' in iTunes. I haven't tried connecting to another computer, except to charge the phone.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

It's possible that the USB connector is damaged in a manner in which the pins that manage to do the charging are OK but the others are not quite so, so iTunes might have a harder type "talking" to the iPhone..

I'd definitely try iTunes on another computer just to rule that out..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhone 4 Accessory Recommendations | Photos disappered after sync »