New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Need some advice about iphone 4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rohan

rohan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz Quad i7, 16GB | 27" iMac 3.1 GHz Quad i5 12GB| OS X.x | iPhone 4 iOS 7.1.2

hey there...i was just looking online to buy an iphone...there is one that i found ...its used...& the guy says its factory unlocked & jailbroken.

now that did not make sense to me...i have sent him a mail....but i would like some people here who have experience with the concepts of unlocked vs. factory unlocked vs. jailbreaking to shed some light on this for me...

i do understand the factory unlocked is a good thing...but why would you need to jailbreak a factory unlocked phone?

thanks for your help in advance

ps. & if i get one that is locked to at&t or something...how easy or difficult would it be for me to unlock/jailbreak it?

<< i can explain it to you...but i can't understand it for you... >>
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Factory unlocked means that it is open to all networks, jailbreak is a different thing.
Jailbreaking an iphone means that you can then install 3rd party / unapproved by apple apps onto the phone without having to go though the app store. Good for if there are apps you want that arnt on the app store.

Hope this clears it up a bit

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
rohan

Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz Quad i7, 16GB | 27" iMac 3.1 GHz Quad i5 12GB| OS X.x | iPhone 4 iOS 7.1.2

ahh ok...thanks...yes...it does help quite a bit

so a few more clarifications...once jailbroken...will anything done through the official app store work as it normally would? or will i not be able to use the store any longer?

also...the second question i asked in the original post...does unlocking need to be done by a professional...or can i do it at home?

QUOTE Thanks
rohan

ok...thanks for all the help guys...this seems to be the deal for me then...

on a side note...since it is "factory" unlocked...that would mean that applecare cant refuse to fix it incase i have problems...correct?

QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Aslong as it is still under apple warranty it will be fine.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
QUOTE Thanks
rohan

thanks for all the clarifications

QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

No problem at all

- Simon

May 2011
QUOTE Thanks
Weiser878

Weiser878 can only hope to improve

Well, if its jailbroken, then Apple Care can refuse to work on it.

You should restore to an UnJailbroken state before you allow it into any Apple employee's hands.

And I can't disagree more with Chas' statement that Jailbreaking is overrated.

50% of the utility I use on my iPhone are things that are only available because of the jailbreak.

If I were stuck with iOS in stock configuration, I'd have an Android
QUOTE Thanks
rohan

hmm...if im not mistaken...what he meant was that the process of jailbreaking is overrated as it isnt so hard to do...but i may be wrong :p

anyhow...this has brought up another question in my mind...if the phone was actually jailbroken...& updating the OS messes that up again...do all apps become locked? or only the ones that run becasue of the jailbreak?

in other words...will free apps or paid apps i download from the store be effected by problems arising out of the whole jailbreak/update deal?

QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Apps that have been legitimately paid for on the app store will not be affected at all by the jailbreak process. Any apps downloaded via the jailbreak methods will have to be re-installed after re-jailbreaking the phone

- Simon

May 2011
QUOTE Thanks
Weiser878

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan View Post
hmm...if im not mistaken...what he meant was that the process of jailbreaking is overrated as it isnt so hard to do...but i may be wrong :p

anyhow...this has brought up another question in my mind...if the phone was actually jailbroken...& updating the OS messes that up again...do all apps become locked? or only the ones that run becasue of the jailbreak?

in other words...will free apps or paid apps i download from the store be effected by problems arising out of the whole jailbreak/update deal?
Well, Chas and I have had this discussion before, so I took it based on our past convos. He doesn't see a need in jailbreaking; I do. As I said before, I wouldn't have an iPhone if I couldn't jailbreak it.

As for your other question, as Buzzard said, the jailbreak process has no bearing on the normal iOS app store.
If you don't install anything from Cydia, you'll never notice a difference
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan View Post
...do all apps become locked? or only the ones that run becasue of the jailbreak?
Once a update is here, the JB becomes null and void and all your Cydia Apps will be non existent . . . . . . . And this is the reason why so many people ark up when there is a update, bc as chas has said, it can sometimes take weeks for the new JB to be operational . . . .
The update JB to the latest iOS update took about 4 weeks or longer from memory to be available to the public ........

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Weiser878

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post

Likewise, jailbreaking is something best done (IMO) to give new life to old equipment -- because re-jailbreaking and re-installing stuff every time Apple updates the firmware is a PITA.

Both you and TattooedMac seem to be under the impression that everyone always updates their phone when Apple releases am update.

I'm currently running 4.0.1 on my iPhone 4. There's no reason for me to update to a newer firmware. I think game center is stupid and if I had it, I'd use poof to not have to look at that ugly icon I'd never use; I already have a HDR app (that I never use) and while Find My iPhone sounds like a good idea, I've gone 3 years so far being able to keep up with my phone, so I think its more a novelty.
I have an untethered jailbreak and I have one of the few unlockable iPhone 4s.
I'll probably keep it on this firmware so that in a few months I can unlock it and sell it for enough to buy the next generation.

The jailbreak is more important to me than Apple's incremental updates.

One time, I had to click "Do Not Ask Me Again" in iTunes when it told me there was an update available.

Its really not that much trouble
QUOTE Thanks
renji

renji is on a distinguished road

after jailbreaking, i ran into some problems updating the free apps through the apple store. I'm not sure if anyone else is having this same problem or know how to fix it.

So if there is an update on the Yelp app for example, i cant simply update from the apple store, i would have to delete Yelp app and then redownload it again to get the latest version.
QUOTE Thanks
Weiser878

Quote:
Originally Posted by renji View Post
after jailbreaking, i ran into some problems updating the free apps through the apple store. I'm not sure if anyone else is having this same problem or know how to fix it.

So if there is an update on the Yelp app for example, i cant simply update from the apple store, i would have to delete Yelp app and then redownload it again to get the latest version.

This is the first I've ever heard of a problem like this.
Jailbreaking shouldn't upset the iTunes sync functionality of the iOS, unless someone has tampered with that sub directory manually.

Do you have terminal and open SSH on your phone?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Big iPhone 3GS problem | iPhone headphone recommendation »