New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Need some advice about iphone 4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

renji

renji is on a distinguished road

after jailbreaking, i ran into some problems updating the free apps through the apple store. I'm not sure if anyone else is having this same problem or know how to fix it.

So if there is an update on the Yelp app for example, i cant simply update from the apple store, i would have to delete Yelp app and then redownload it again to get the latest version.
QUOTE Thanks
Weiser878

Weiser878 can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by renji View Post
after jailbreaking, i ran into some problems updating the free apps through the apple store. I'm not sure if anyone else is having this same problem or know how to fix it.

So if there is an update on the Yelp app for example, i cant simply update from the apple store, i would have to delete Yelp app and then redownload it again to get the latest version.

This is the first I've ever heard of a problem like this.
Jailbreaking shouldn't upset the iTunes sync functionality of the iOS, unless someone has tampered with that sub directory manually.

Do you have terminal and open SSH on your phone?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiser878 View Post
Both you and TattooedMac seem to be under the impression that everyone always updates their phone when Apple releases am update.
You make a perfectly valid point, but I always seemed to feel that most of the updates were worth doing, either for security or features -- or because newer software in the App Store required the updated OS.

My original iPhone cannot be upgraded past 3.13 so I did that and I am done -- and very happy I don't have to ever re-do the unlock on that unit ever again.
QUOTE Thanks
Weiser878

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
You make a perfectly valid point, but I always seemed to feel that most of the updates were worth doing, either for security or features -- or because newer software in the App Store required the updated OS.

My original iPhone cannot be upgraded past 3.13 so I did that and I am done -- and very happy I don't have to ever re-do the unlock on that unit ever again.
I can't remember exactly when, but Saurik started issuing security updates through Cydia for known issues before Apple released the patches.

I honestly see most of Apple's updates as a way to personally screw me.

When I had 3.0, I didn't jailbreak. I was able to use the benm trick and turn on tethering, and that's all I ever needed. 3.0.1 comes out, touting some essential security upgrade, so I did it, and guess what? No longer could I enable the native tethering on my iPhone.
That's when I jailbroke again, and why I insist on it now.
I can't get internet service at my home, period (no that I'd want to pick up that $60 bill anyway since I have unlimited on my phone) so without tethering ability, my MacBook is a big old paperweight
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Yes, I can see how useful that is to you -- but it's not really a typical situation for most people IMHO.
QUOTE Thanks
rohan

rohan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz Quad i7, 16GB | 27" iMac 3.1 GHz Quad i5 12GB| OS X.x | iPhone 4 iOS 7.1.2

hmmm...ok....well the phone i bought (yes i got it) is already jailbroken

i did however register it with apple & there seemed to be no issue with that...says its under warranty till aug 2011

loving it so far....may have a few more questions since im new to ios..but ill start new threads for that...fortunately ive been using a mac for years now so that helps

btw..the guy i got it from had a few things installed...like games & stuff...is there any way i can tell which are legit & which are jailbreak versions?

<< i can explain it to you...but i can't understand it for you... >>
QUOTE Thanks
Weiser878

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan View Post
hmmm...ok....well the phone i bought (yes i got it) is already jailbroken

i did however register it with apple & there seemed to be no issue with that...says its under warranty till aug 2011

loving it so far....may have a few more questions since im new to ios..but ill start new threads for that...fortunately ive been using a mac for years now so that helps

btw..the guy i got it from had a few things installed...like games & stuff...is there any way i can tell which are legit & which are jailbreak versions?

It may say its under warranty, but if Apple sees that its jailbroken they will void it.

As for telling about the apps...I'm taking it by your sentence that mentions "legit" versions that you are under the impression that jailbreaking is used to pirate apps. That is not the case for the vast majority of users. Use spotlight search and look for an App called Installous. If its not on the phone, then you most likely do not have any pirated apps. (You'll probably want to delete all that stuff anyway since you won't know the iTunes password associated with them and won't be able to update them)

Now, for the jailbreak stuff, there is an app called Cydia this is the jailbreak app store. If you don't have Cydia, the phone isn't jailbroken. When it loads, the tabs at the bottom will have an option for manage. Pick packages and you'll be able to see everything that Cydia installed on the phone. I'd advise you not to delete anything until you fully understand it all, since you can make the phone unusable if you delete the wrong thing.
(While you're there, look for a package called Yellowsn0w, if its on the phone, then its unlocked via jailbreak and not factory unlocked)
QUOTE Thanks
allenmobis

allenmobis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Now, for the jailbreak stuff, there is an app called Cydia this is the jailbreak app store. If you don't have Cydia, the phone isn't jailbroken. When it loads, the tabs at the bottom will have an option for manage. Pick packages and you'll be able to see everything that Cydia installed on the phone. I'd advise you not to delete anything until you fully understand it all, since you can make the phone unusable if you delete the wrong thing.
(While you're there, look for a package called Yellowsn0w, if its on the phone, then its unlocked via jailbreak and not factory unlocked)
How to install an application in cydia?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
I honestly see most of Apple's updates as a way to personally screw me.
Really? You think Apple cares that much about you? Conceited much?

QUOTE Thanks
rohan

rohan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz Quad i7, 16GB | 27" iMac 3.1 GHz Quad i5 12GB| OS X.x | iPhone 4 iOS 7.1.2

Quote:
It may say its under warranty, but if Apple sees that its jailbroken they will void it.

As for telling about the apps...I'm taking it by your sentence that mentions "legit" versions that you are under the impression that jailbreaking is used to pirate apps. That is not the case for the vast majority of users. Use spotlight search and look for an App called Installous. If its not on the phone, then you most likely do not have any pirated apps. (You'll probably want to delete all that stuff anyway since you won't know the iTunes password associated with them and won't be able to update them)

weiser here are a few clarifications:

1. i know that jail breaking is not just used for pirated apps...but i also know that this one app called angry birds is a paid app so im pretty sure its not legit...as you said...the updating thing did not work

2. the apps work fine...& just to check i downloaded & tried to install a game myself...worked without a hitch! i didnt have to go thru any 3rd party app to do it...i just dragged & dropped it into itunes & it was on my phone...still working flawlessly on the phone & even with game centre. ( i have a related question which im going to start a new thread for)

some advice for breaking back into the jail.

btw...my phone is factory unlocked. i checked my model number on the internet..and from the list it seems it's from the UK & is factory unlocked

<< i can explain it to you...but i can't understand it for you... >>
QUOTE Thanks
Weiser878

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan View Post
weiser here are a few clarifications:

1. i know that jail breaking is not just used for pirated apps...but i also know that this one app called angry birds is a paid app so im pretty sure its not legit...as you said...the updating thing did not work

2. the apps work fine...& just to check i downloaded & tried to install a game myself...worked without a hitch! i didnt have to go thru any 3rd party app to do it...i just dragged & dropped it into itunes & it was on my phone...still working flawlessly on the phone & even with game centre. ( i have a related question which im going to start a new thread for)

some advice for breaking back into the jail.

btw...my phone is factory unlocked. i checked my model number on the internet..and from the list it seems it's from the UK & is factory unlocked

Cool, good for you for getting a factory unlocked phone..

As for the ones that won't update (Like Angry Birds) just delete it like any other app. Hold it down till it wiggles then hit the minus sign
QUOTE Thanks
immanuelsun

immanuelsun is on a distinguished road

I've been using a JB iphone 4 for nearly three months and I just want to tell you that JB is highly recommended. What you need is to install less debs if possible to maintain the stability of the facility and to use 3rd part software to install ipa instead of iTunes ...(which is really annoying when you got your iphone JB)
You know what, if you want to buy an factory unlocked iphone and jailbreak it all by yourself, keep in mind of backing up your .shsh file in the very beginning.
That is my experience. Good luck for you!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Big iPhone 3GS problem | iPhone headphone recommendation »