New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iphone battery life

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

craigmackem

craigmackem is on a distinguished road

Hi bought a macbook and love it...so bought an unmarked iphone 3g off my friend...still under warrenty...i intend to use this as a phone....only problem is the battery lasts about 6-7 hours on standby....is this right ........
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

So during those 6-7 hours you are not using the phone at all? If so, that's not right, the iPhone 3g is supposed to have like a 300 hour standby..7 hours of talk time on 3G and 14 on 2G..6 hours of 3G net use, 10 hours of WiFi use and 10 hours of video playback..

My nearly 2 year of iPhone 3G gets about 7-8 hours out of each charge with some gaming, net surfing and audio playback while at work..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
craigmackem

this is the phone in the house unused while i am at work...i have turned 3g off. locations off. and it recieves no texts or calls. am i right in saying press the button on the top puts it in standby...this is what i do and its 6-7 hours....is it broke as its still under warranty...i unplugged it from my macbook about 20 mins ago so that bout 21.15...
QUOTE Thanks
craigmackem

ps...also email retreival off....
QUOTE Thanks
craigmackem

something worth pointing out....its updated off itunes so i think its got 4.2.1..some1 will correct me....but its the newest one....this is an iphone 3g....is this the problem....thanx
QUOTE Thanks
craigmackem

also does it make a difference charging it off my macbook...i have not tried charging it in the wall yet.....
QUOTE Thanks
craigmackem

have the ibattery app....so it gives percentages...50 mins 85 percent left...??????
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Pressing the top button does put it into standby and it should last for a few days in the state you are you leaving it..

There's definitely something wrong with it. When it is in standby (by pressing the top button), does tapping the screen wake it up or does it stay dark?

If it's still under warranty, then you might want to take it to the Apple Store pronto to see if they can figure it out or replace the battery at the least..

Charging off the Macbook should be fine..I usually charge mine in one of three places, my iMac, work Dell laptop or wall charger..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

1. What is an "unmarked" iPhone? I only ever heard the phrase "unmarked" about police cars and (monetary) bills ...

2. What have you got against complete sentences and punctuation?
QUOTE Thanks
craigmackem

hahaha. unmarked, as in not bashed about, looked after, i agree with razor. it's not right. warrenty till march. a trip to apple at the metro centre seem's priority. razor tapping the screen does nothing.. so that's standby. thanx. hows that for punctuation. lol. lol. thanx every1
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

With these batteries, there is a procedure that you have to go through and a way of charging it to allow it to maintain it's charge. If, however, that was followed, it's possible that the battery has been prematurely gotten into a state where it just doesn't want to hold a charge.

These batteries after a few years will normally get to a point where they'll only ever charge up to 80% and reduce over time until eventually they just won't hold a charge at all. The hope is that you'll end up upgrading your phone long before that happens..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
TF-

TF- is on a distinguished road

Don't suppose your friend would let you un-buy the phone, would he/she?

I know lots of people whose iPhone battery is dead by 2pm. This is a very common problem. Of course, you can't replace the battery very easily so you might be kinda stuck. Have you checked with a local repair shop?

I was having this problem too. So, I bought a charger, battery back-up device and it has pretty much solved my battery life issues. There's a few of these on the market, but the one from Revolve had all the features I wanted - you can check it out here at Revolve Electronics, Inc

Good Luck.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do I prevent iPhoto from opening | are Bluetooth earphones worth it? »