New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone 3GS sync question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Murdock

Murdock is on a distinguished road

I just got a new macbook pro and now that I'm trying to get things from it onto my iPhone 3GS it's saying it can only be synced to one iTunes Library at a time.. So it gives me the option to Erase and Sync.. If I do this will I lose all my contacts and photos as well? as far as music and ringtones I'm not worried cause I have all that backed up.. but I don't want to lose my photos or contacts.. Any help would be appreciated.. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Not sure where your old iTunes library is located but if you transfer it to your new Mac your phone will just see it as the same library and you won't have any issues.

If you want to start afresh:
- You can use Image Capture on your mac to copy the photos from your phone.
- You can use an iPhone app called iDrive (free online storage and app that allows you to backup you iphone contacts)

Once backed up you can erase and sync then copy back the photos with iTunes and re-install the iDrive app and restore your contacts.

As an aside if you setup a gmail account you can wirelessly backup and sync your contacts without even thinking about it. Set Up Your Apple Device for Google Sync : Google Sync - Google Mobile Help

Let us know how you get on

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If you head into the sync options for contacts within iTunes, you will be able to merge all the contacts from the iPhone and your Mac without losing them in either location.

Having the backup of them as mrplow suggests is not a bad idea though.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Customizable iPhone cases? | iPhone with broken off button, how can I shut it down? »