New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Another iPhone 4 through a washer...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

breakx

breakx is on a distinguished road

Well, a few weeks ago I washed my iPhone 4, me and my girlfriend spent about an hour looking for it until I realized what I had done. We went to the washer and opened it up and sure enough my iPhone was in it, as pretty as ever. I stood in disbelief she casually grabbed it and hit the power button, I was initially irritated thinking any possibility of it working was gone seeing as it was now short circuited. Incorrect. I put it on my computer (a large computer with an exhaust fan on the top of the case, that gets fairly warm, I would say around 95+ degrees Fahrenheit. (Please note I removed the sim card first) About 15 hours later I picked it up and plugged it in and it worked flawlessly.(No restoring, No data loss, absolutely nothing wrong with it!) Absolutely, no evidence of it being washed. My main motivation for posting this story is so people don't immediately go out and buy a new one. (Which I was going to do, but I figured it was worth a try, seeing as it was night and I couldn't get to the store until the next day) I don't know how it's possible seeing as my girlfriend attempted to turn it on, I assumed it would have immediately short circuited. However, the darn thing works flawlessly.

So if your iPhone gets wet remember, I washed mine for 30 minutes in a top load washer and it works.

I've read many recommendations on drying it out, but here is what worked for me.

Put it on a fan, in a warm place. I believe the heat helps the water evaporate or dry out, whatever. Specifically, I put it on a computer exhaust fan (120mm fan) that gets pretty warm, and it worked like a charm.

Mmmm lavender scent iPhone.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

It might work now...but there might be corrosion problems later on.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
Weiser878

Weiser878 can only hope to improve

Its weird how that works, isn't it?

Drop it in the sink fora split second, its ruined.
Wash it for 30 minutes, completely submerged, its fine.

Completely random
QUOTE Thanks
a.j.c.

a.j.c. is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: soon to be another iMac owner

i dropped my 2 month old 3gs in a bowl of soup..fully submerged

never shut off never missed a beat..actually gave it to my gf when i got the 4 still works flawless
QUOTE Thanks
CanonTMR

CanonTMR is on a distinguished road

I always wash my phones, send them through the drier and no problems, just needs a charge.
QUOTE Thanks
MikesMacs

MikesMacs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP i5 500GB 4GB, iPhone 3GS, 160GB Classic, 40GB ATV, 16GB iPad WiFi

I washed a first gen ipod touch like 3 years ago or something like that, forgot about it in my dresser drawer, pulled it out a few weeks back. Plugged it in for about a day, works great. Felt kinda cool to "find" and iPod touch like that.

- Mike

Everything was meant to be taken apart.
QUOTE Thanks
CanonTMR

CanonTMR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesMacs View Post
I washed a first gen ipod touch like 3 years ago or something like that, forgot about it in my dresser drawer, pulled it out a few weeks back. Plugged it in for about a day, works great. Felt kinda cool to "find" and iPod touch like that.

- Mike
thats awesome!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Lost Yahoo Mail Contacts | photos from iPhone 3Gs to iMac »