New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone 3GS?


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
amanda.a.p

 
amanda.a.p's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 01, 2010
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 94
amanda.a.p is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, Mid 2010, 2.4 gHZ processor, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB hard drive.

amanda.a.p is offline
Okay, so, I have a friend and we both have the iPhone 3GS, same exact phone. But lately, mine's been acting up. For example, I can be sitting next to her, and her phone will have 5 bars, and mine will have no service. They're the same software, same hardware, both updated. What's going on with my phone?
Any ideas?

Amanda
13-inch, Mid 2010 MacBook Pro. 2.4 gHZ processor, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HD*16 GB iPhone 3GS*80 GB iPod Classic*8 GB iPod nano, 3rd generation*1 GB iPod nano, 1st generation
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

 
chas_m's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 22, 2010
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 17,063
chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

chas_m is offline
Do you ever actually power down and restart your iPhone?

If "yes," then I'd go talk to an Apple Genius about this.
QUOTE Thanks
amanda.a.p

 
amanda.a.p's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 01, 2010
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 94
amanda.a.p is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, Mid 2010, 2.4 gHZ processor, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB hard drive.

amanda.a.p is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Do you ever actually power down and restart your iPhone?

If "yes," then I'd go talk to an Apple Genius about this.
Yep, I've reset it, restored it, popped the sim card out and in...

Amanda
13-inch, Mid 2010 MacBook Pro. 2.4 gHZ processor, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HD*16 GB iPhone 3GS*80 GB iPod Classic*8 GB iPod nano, 3rd generation*1 GB iPod nano, 1st generation
QUOTE Thanks
OLodhi

 
Member Since: Aug 17, 2010
Location: Birmingham/Cambridge, UK
Posts: 36
OLodhi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 5,5

OLodhi is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda.a.p View Post
Yep, I've reset it, restored it, popped the sim card out and in...
Are you both on the same carriers? Make sure that you have the latest carrier updates installed on your phone. iTunes usually prompts you automatically to update, and you can even update OTA.
QUOTE Thanks
james515

 
Member Since: Mar 28, 2008
Posts: 223
james515 is an unknown at this point

james515 is offline
the phone has 1 foot in the grave, and sounds like the other one is about half way there.

probably will need a new phone/replacement
QUOTE Thanks
amanda.a.p

 
amanda.a.p's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 01, 2010
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 94
amanda.a.p is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, Mid 2010, 2.4 gHZ processor, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB hard drive.

amanda.a.p is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by james515 View Post
the phone has 1 foot in the grave, and sounds like the other one is about half way there.

probably will need a new phone/replacement
Why do you say that?

Amanda
13-inch, Mid 2010 MacBook Pro. 2.4 gHZ processor, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HD*16 GB iPhone 3GS*80 GB iPod Classic*8 GB iPod nano, 3rd generation*1 GB iPod nano, 1st generation
QUOTE Thanks
maz94protege

 
maz94protege's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 09, 2005
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 514
maz94protege will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo

maz94protege is offline
i had my iPhone 3G for 2 years, never an issue. The mute button broke off and apple replaced the device w/o any questions. Upgraded to OS 4.0.1 and had nothing but slow laggy speed issues, So i originally paid $199 with 2 yr commitment, sold it for $150 and picked up a 8GB 3GS for $99.

I know some get bogged down, but if your seriously having issues and still under your 1 yr (from original purchase) take it into apple and have them look at it, you may get a replacement. and if eligible pick up the cheap applecare, or just reformat/re-install the OS and sell it and buy another one.
QUOTE Thanks
amanda.a.p

 
amanda.a.p's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 01, 2010
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 94
amanda.a.p is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, Mid 2010, 2.4 gHZ processor, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB hard drive.

amanda.a.p is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by maz94protege View Post
i had my iPhone 3G for 2 years, never an issue. The mute button broke off and apple replaced the device w/o any questions. Upgraded to OS 4.0.1 and had nothing but slow laggy speed issues, So i originally paid $199 with 2 yr commitment, sold it for $150 and picked up a 8GB 3GS for $99.

I know some get bogged down, but if your seriously having issues and still under your 1 yr (from original purchase) take it into apple and have them look at it, you may get a replacement. and if eligible pick up the cheap applecare, or just reformat/re-install the OS and sell it and buy another one.
It's just sort of annoying! We don't have an apple store in my area, though...

Amanda
13-inch, Mid 2010 MacBook Pro. 2.4 gHZ processor, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HD*16 GB iPhone 3GS*80 GB iPod Classic*8 GB iPod nano, 3rd generation*1 GB iPod nano, 1st generation
QUOTE Thanks
rippingviper

 
rippingviper's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2009
Location: Selkirk, Manitoba
Posts: 264
rippingviper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini

rippingviper is offline
I had my 3gs replaced. it kept dropping calls ALL the time, I went in the first time they did a firmware restore blah blah, told me to come back if it keeps happening. I went home nothing but dropped calls. They replaced it at the Apple Store no charge just asked if the same problem was happening. Works minty now! Once in a while I have no service but I just put it into airplane mode and take it out and bam full service again. Not sure if its just interference when that happens but from the sounds of what you have going on its not good!

Show some Love give Reputation Reputation FAQ
QUOTE Thanks
amanda.a.p

 
amanda.a.p's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 01, 2010
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 94
amanda.a.p is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, Mid 2010, 2.4 gHZ processor, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB hard drive.

amanda.a.p is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by rippingviper View Post
I had my 3gs replaced. it kept dropping calls ALL the time, I went in the first time they did a firmware restore blah blah, told me to come back if it keeps happening. I went home nothing but dropped calls. They replaced it at the Apple Store no charge just asked if the same problem was happening. Works minty now! Once in a while I have no service but I just put it into airplane mode and take it out and bam full service again. Not sure if its just interference when that happens but from the sounds of what you have going on its not good!
Ugh, guess I'll have to consider

Amanda
13-inch, Mid 2010 MacBook Pro. 2.4 gHZ processor, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HD*16 GB iPhone 3GS*80 GB iPod Classic*8 GB iPod nano, 3rd generation*1 GB iPod nano, 1st generation
QUOTE Thanks
maz94protege

 
maz94protege's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 09, 2005
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 514
maz94protege will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo

maz94protege is offline
the AT&T store will provide the tech assistance for you, they can give you a loaner phone for the meantime while they send your phone to apple for testing. Or they may even have a tech there to help you.

Yes AT&T isnt the greatest, their service, like all others, is spotty in some places. But my wife had her SIM replaced at AT&T (free) and majority of the dropped calls stopped on her 3G.
QUOTE Thanks
amanda.a.p

 
amanda.a.p's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 01, 2010
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 94
amanda.a.p is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, Mid 2010, 2.4 gHZ processor, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB hard drive.

amanda.a.p is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by maz94protege View Post
the AT&T store will provide the tech assistance for you, they can give you a loaner phone for the meantime while they send your phone to apple for testing. Or they may even have a tech there to help you.

Yes AT&T isnt the greatest, their service, like all others, is spotty in some places. But my wife had her SIM replaced at AT&T (free) and majority of the dropped calls stopped on her 3G.
Is apple going to be able to tell if I did the latest jailbreak and then restored?

Amanda
13-inch, Mid 2010 MacBook Pro. 2.4 gHZ processor, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HD*16 GB iPhone 3GS*80 GB iPod Classic*8 GB iPod nano, 3rd generation*1 GB iPod nano, 1st generation
QUOTE Thanks
rippingviper

 
rippingviper's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2009
Location: Selkirk, Manitoba
Posts: 264
rippingviper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini

rippingviper is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda.a.p View Post
Is apple going to be able to tell if I did the latest jailbreak and then restored?
As long as you did a restore back to normal they cannot tell if you've jailbroken your phone before.

Show some Love give Reputation Reputation FAQ
QUOTE Thanks
amanda.a.p

 
amanda.a.p's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 01, 2010
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 94
amanda.a.p is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, Mid 2010, 2.4 gHZ processor, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB hard drive.

amanda.a.p is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by rippingviper View Post
As long as you did a restore back to normal they cannot tell if you've jailbroken your phone before.
Good

Amanda
13-inch, Mid 2010 MacBook Pro. 2.4 gHZ processor, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HD*16 GB iPhone 3GS*80 GB iPod Classic*8 GB iPod nano, 3rd generation*1 GB iPod nano, 1st generation
QUOTE Thanks
rippingviper

 
rippingviper's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2009
Location: Selkirk, Manitoba
Posts: 264
rippingviper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini

rippingviper is offline
A quick question. Have you done a full restore before? Like plug it in hold the sleep button then the home button and do a full firmware restore too? Or was it thru itunes and just kinda click the restore button. Also some restores from a backup could be corrupt and also cause failure as well and after a firmware restore like I described Apple recommends you don't restore your old backup and add everything back manually.

Show some Love give Reputation Reputation FAQ
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Using Iphone abroad | Anyone know where I can... »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?