New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Unlocking iphone 4 help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tomsimo

Tomsimo is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I live in the UK and iv been wanting to get an iphone 4 since it was announced, but i am tied up in a contract with O2 until December. I may be able to get an iphone 4 on someone else's account, but they are on T-moblie. First of all is it possible for me to unlock the iphone 4 issued by T-mobile and for me to get a O2 micro sim, insert it into the iphone 4 and it to work with my mobile number i have now? Secondly, how do i do this and am i legally aloud to do this?

Tomsimo.
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Yes, You can it's simple once you receive the phone open the Safari browser goto Jailbreakme.com . This will jailbreak the iPhone once this process is complete you need to open Cydia (Cydia may need to reload and be restarted the first time) Once Cydia is open.
click "Manage" then click "Sources" then scroll down until you see "repo666.Ultrasn0w.com" click that and then download ultrasn0w once Ultrasn0w is downloaded the phone will need to reboot and it will be fully unlocked.

As for the simcard I have Tmobile USA (TMO USA doesn't have MicroSim) I simply cut mine down with a pair scissors as long as you don't cut the gold part you should be fine. Insert the sim card and good to go.

This whole process should only 15-20 minutes at the very most.
QUOTE Thanks
Tomsimo

Tomsimo is on a distinguished road

Right ok, thanks for the reply.

Would i need to put my O2 sim card into the phone before i unlock it or do i unlock it without any sim card in the phone?

Tomsimo.
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

It doesn't matter. It still unlocks it just the same.
QUOTE Thanks
sonoluminescent

sonoluminescent can only hope to improve

Bargsbeer

I have a question about 'bricking' your phone. I've read things like "jailbreak at your own risk, you could brick your phone!"

However, I've also read once it's bricked, you simply restore it....what's up?

Is there any way to permanently brick a phone? If so, what are the odds?

If not, and I JB the phone but then I need to take it to Apple for one reason or another, can I restore my phone to get rid of the JB so no one is the wiser?
Or will they always know that a device has been Jailbroken at some point in it's life?
Is it illegal for them to check and see if a device has been Jailbroken?

Sorry for all the questions.
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoluminescent View Post
Bargsbeer

I have a question about 'bricking' your phone. I've read things like "jailbreak at your own risk, you could brick your phone!"

However, I've also read once it's bricked, you simply restore it....what's up?

Is there any way to permanently brick a phone? If so, what are the odds?

If not, and I JB the phone but then I need to take it to Apple for one reason or another, can I restore my phone to get rid of the JB so no one is the wiser?
Or will they always know that a device has been Jailbroken at some point in it's life?
Is it illegal for them to check and see if a device has been Jailbroken?

Sorry for all the questions.
Bricking rarely ever happens anymore, It was more common on the 1st generation iPhone,These days a simple restore fixes 99% of your problems. Yes once you restore the phone the jailbreak is gone forever,No one will be able to tell it's been jailbroken before. As for the legality of them checking I don't know, Because honestly what is someone going to check? Once the phone is back to stock it's just like any other iPhone.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Two mac sync? | Iphone 3Gs issue »