New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Iphone 3g thinks its connected to a device. HELP!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DrEwTiMe42o

DrEwTiMe42o is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 200GB HD,Nvidia 256 DDR3 graphics, 6GB RAM

Hi everyone, i have had my iphone 3g for several years with no problems at all. I had it plugged into my dock like i would every other day. And when i removed it it kept giving me the "this accessory is not compatible with iphone" message that asks you if you want to turn airplane mode on. So the phone constantly thinks its connected to a device so not only does i pop that message up every couple of minutes, but it also doesn't allow me to play music over the speaker or allow for text message sounds to come through the speeker.
Speaker phone and everything else works, but the ipod app doesn't let me play anything unless its plugged into something. When its not plugged into anything the volume bar completely disappears.
I also tried the pandora app ust to see if it had the same results and it told me no volume available.

Can someone please help me?! Its driving me crazy and it appears to be draining my battery a lot faster.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Try powering off and back on.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
fasheezy

fasheezy is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Black MacBook. Once you go black, you never go back. 2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo; 2 GB RAM; 80 GB HDD

My wife has been having the same issue on her 3GS. She doesn't even have a dock. She just plugs it into the wall every night. She hasn't plugged the phone into a dock at any time. She's running 4.0 software. It happened ever since upgrading to 4.0. I'm going to install 4.0.1 and see if that helps.

Anybody else having this problem?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If powering off and back on doesn't do it, next I'd try connecting it to iTunes and use the eject button within iTunes.

QUOTE Thanks
DrEwTiMe42o

Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 200GB HD,Nvidia 256 DDR3 graphics, 6GB RAM

I have tried powering it off and on, soft reset. I restored it in itunes and downloaded the newest software and its still doing it. I have no idea what the heck to do about this besides just get a new phone =(. Anyone able to find a fix for this who had the problem. Im about to give up
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEwTiMe42o View Post
I have tried powering it off and on, soft reset. I restored it in itunes and downloaded the newest software and its still doing it. I have no idea what the heck to do about this besides just get a new phone =(. Anyone able to find a fix for this who had the problem. Im about to give up
My best guess is it is a hardware problem. Perhaps a contact inside the dock connector is shorted out, unsoldered, or something to that effect. The only thing left to try yourself is to wipe your phone clean and restore it... preferably as a "new" phone (don't restore the backup, unless you have data you simply can't lose). If you still have the problem, then you either need to get it repaired or get a new one. There are some 3rd party repair shops that offer fast service and returns for the iPhones in particular.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

I agree with lifeisabeach once you've done all that.

QUOTE Thanks
DrEwTiMe42o

Question. I can due without my notes and all that stuff but my numbers are absolutely a must have. Will those be able to carry over to the phone somehow if i do a new phone reset?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEwTiMe42o View Post
Question. I can due without my notes and all that stuff but my numbers are absolutely a must have. Will those be able to carry over to the phone somehow if i do a new phone reset?
I assume you are syncing those numbers with the Address Book in OS X? They will stay safely stored there if so.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bumper refund | iPhone 4 questions -- photos and custom ringtones »