New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Should I get the iPhone 4?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MyBrokeniPhone

MyBrokeniPhone is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13", 3Gs, iTouch and iClassic.

Hello there,

So I got tied into a 24 month iPhone 3Gs contract two weeks before the iPhone 4 was released (typical) - though I will be getting a mid-term upgrade next April.

I've caught the iPhone 4 fever and I would love one. Is it worth perhaps putting the 3Gs on eBay and buying the iPhone 4 or should I wait until next April when I can upgrade to the iPhone 4 or whatever Apple has released then?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
tiger roach

tiger roach has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz

Wait. From what I have heard, the performance gain over the 3G is noticeable, but over the 3GS not so much.
QUOTE Thanks
MyBrokeniPhone

MyBrokeniPhone is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13", 3Gs, iTouch and iClassic.

It's probably worth the wait in that case. I'm a bit skeptical with the signal issues too.
QUOTE Thanks
wspahn21

wspahn21 is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBrokeniPhone View Post
It's probably worth the wait in that case. I'm a bit skeptical with the signal issues too.
Steve was right, the signal issues are a very vocal minority. I have yet to see any issues and I have been traveling constantly the last three weeks.

I was actually in the middle of nowhere in the panhandle of Florida and my 3G couldn't find any signal but the 4 was able to at least get me on the Edge network.

So it seems that the antenna is in fact stronger from my observation.
QUOTE Thanks
DrEwTiMe42o

DrEwTiMe42o is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 200GB HD,Nvidia 256 DDR3 graphics, 6GB RAM

I still own a 3g and don't really see an real reason to upgrade yet. I am eligible but don't really see the need to get a newer iphone when mine pretty much does what i want it to. Perhaps if i wait longer something will be done about all these "issues" or maybe there will be something better out by the time im ready. I guess since i already have an iphone i wasn't sucked in by the hype like i was when i didn't have an iphone hehe.
QUOTE Thanks
tiger roach

tiger roach has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz

I just upgraded yesterday from a 3G, and the gain in speed and overall performance is way more than I expected. Everything is faster.

Again though the OP is coming from a 3GS, so less incentive.
QUOTE Thanks
roeiboot

roeiboot will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MB061LL/B & iPhone4

no doubt, if you dig your iPhone you'll DIG the 4... i had a 3G for a year, 3G[S] for 5 weeks -and the 4 blows them both out of the water, maybe the 4 is not twice as fast as the 3G[S] it makes with other really neat improvements, 5MP camera, flash, Retina display.. list goes on & on.

(i believe the antenna issue is blown way out of proportion, and here's why; complainers tend to scream louder than satisfied folks :}

ps. to the OP: don't you have a 4 week return period, that's how i exchanged the newly upgraded 3G[S] for a 4)

~rb
iPhone 4 /16GB MacBook3,1 iPad my blog
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

It all depends on what you want out of it. My wife has the iPhone 4 now, while I have the iPhone 3Gs. They key advantages are the much sharper display and a much superior camera. She likes to take pictures, so the upgrade for her was a good move because it's one less device for her to carry. The improved display is a bonus, though not a deal breaker in itself for her. For people who do a lot of reading on their iPhone (books, email, whatever), then the display upgrade probably will be worth it, just for the reduced eyestrain alone.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
It all depends on what you want out of it. My wife has the iPhone 4 now, while I have the iPhone 3Gs. They key advantages are the much sharper display and a much superior camera. She likes to take pictures, so the upgrade for her was a good move because it's one less device for her to carry. The improved display is a bonus, though not a deal breaker in itself for her. For people who do a lot of reading on their iPhone (books, email, whatever), then the display upgrade probably will be worth it, just for the reduced eyestrain alone.
Agreed, Also a lot of it depends on whether or not your a gadget geek? I consider myself one. So I'm always trying to buy the latest and greatest toys. Since I got my 4 I have probably taken well over a 100 pictures. I'm trying to get the most out of my iPhone 4 but if it's just going to be another phone for you, stick with the 3GS.
QUOTE Thanks
TF626

TF626 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5' iMac i3 3.2GHz, 13.3' MacBook Pro 2.26GHz, iPhone 4(16GB), 160GB iPod Classic

If you want one, I'd get one. Don't listen to what you hear on the media-- I've had my iPhone 4 for awhile, and have had no reception issues even before I put my case on it. The new design is just stunningly beautiful, as is the Retina display.

I guarantee you'll like all the iPhone 4 features, it's really just a fantastic phone.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

I'd suggest playing with one before you buy. If I had the opportunity to do so, I would have saved considerable time and effort returning it (2 weeks now and not a word on the status). Be your own judge on the reception issues and take both the satisfied customers' and unsatisfied customers' experiences with a grain of salt. Ultimately, the reception the parts of town you actually spend time in will be a better gauge than someone in another part of the country saying the phone is good or bad. Have fun either way.
Note: I didn't return mine due to reception issues. I returned it due to the proximity sensor. Please test it before you take the phone home! It's embarrassing hanging up on your boss, your wife, etc... several times a day.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Free Bumpers Shipping Early | iPhone 3gs makes siren noise? »