New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Apple Bumper starting to crack

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

applebjesus

applebjesus is on a distinguished road

After one week with the (white) bumper case on my iPhone 4, the plastic has cracked on all four outer corners (straight across the curved edges hairline cracks). I just noticed this today. I have kept the case on my phone since I received it and never have dropped the phone with the case on. Anyone else experience this with a bumper?

EDIT: Added pictures, a few are hard to see because they are like I said hairline cracks.

QUOTE Thanks
roeiboot

roeiboot will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MB061LL/B & iPhone4

yikes... that's not good. (i just ordered one -black- last night via the free bumper one), have you contacted apple ?

keep us posted..

~rb
iPhone 4 /16GB MacBook3,1 iPad my blog
QUOTE Thanks
applebjesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by roeiboot View Post
yikes... that's not good. (i just ordered one -black- last night via the free bumper one), have you contacted apple ?

keep us posted..
No, not yet. I just noticed it about ten minutes ago. I first thought it was dirt, but no they are hairline cracks. It has only been in room temperature conditions (60-65 degrees) so it can't be due to temperature.
QUOTE Thanks
roeiboot

that is not good...

especially since i expect i may have to remove mine on a regular bases since i got the Apple dock for the iPhone 4.

knowing Apple, they won't give you a hard time, you may have to wait for it though since the demand seems to be pretty high :}

~rb
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

I think they are all like that. I noticed it in the store as well. Dare I say: Non-issue. Hold it in a different way?

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
applebjesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
I think they are all like that. I noticed it in the store as well. Dare I say: Non-issue. Hold it in a different way?
So I guess Apple will tell me they are the separators that allow the plastic to breathe and that it is genius engineering?
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute

All joking aside, when I bought mine, I had about 7 or 8 of them on the wall in black and white. Every white one I looked at had the cracks/seams/whatever. I didn't check the black ones. I mentioned it to the Apple salesperson and she looked puzzled and shrugged after checking them as well. I needed a bumper and they were only lasting about an hour each day they came in stock. She didn't seem worried, though she did seem a bit surprised. I assumed they were made that way for expansion, or to keep them from breaking in a jagged manner if twisted. Then again, maybe someone sat on a whole big box of them in the warehouse they ship them from. Go figure!

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
"You are holding it wrong" "You are also looking at it wrong" !

The holes let in the AT&T Signal!

Sorry, needed a laugh.
QUOTE Thanks
ImageX

ImageX will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5

I noticed these small lines in the picture of the white bumper in the free case program app. I can't say whether or not they were actual cracks or just seams from them being made but I did notice lines like I see in your pictures. Are they really straight cracks or do they look like smooth cuts maybe made that way to allow some flexibility so it wouldn't crack since the plastic is so thin. Please keep us posted if you talk to Apple about this. I ordered the belkin clear case from the free case app, but I am interested in also getting a bumper.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

Hey man. Every time you laugh at Apple, a beautiful little cherub loses his wings! LOL
QUOTE Thanks
yzfmik

yzfmik is on a distinguished road

Weird. Mines fine and I remove it from the phone a few times a week.

 MacBook Pro 13" 2.4GHz
 MacBook Pro 13" 2.26GHz
 iMac 21.5" 3.06GHz /  iPod 30GB /  iPhone 5 32GB
 iPad 2 64GB / 3rd Gen iPad 64 GB/ iPad Mini 32GB
QUOTE Thanks
roeiboot

Quote:
whahahhahaha.... niiiice :}

(hoping mine won't have it.. i'm very particular :}

~rb
QUOTE Thanks
Mickyfin

Mickyfin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 12TB Yosmite

Looks like a mould line to me, not a crack.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
The holes let in the AT&T Signal!
LOLOL..........LOLOLOLOL...hahaha

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
sonoluminescent

sonoluminescent can only hope to improve

Man.....not even one "Well you shouldn't have been tossing it around" or something to that effect. Congrats on not getting attacked, called a liar, etc.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« looking to buy Ip4, does bumper fix it???? | cant load songs individually! »