New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Apple deleting posts again - iPhone 4 antenna issue

Thread Closed

robains

robains is on a distinguished road

Forwarding Email I got from Apple:

Quote:
Dear Rob (Rob A.),

Apple removed your post on Apple Discussions titled "Facts on iPhone 4 reception" because it contained the following:

Off-topic or non-technical posts
Polls or Petitions

We are including a copy of your post at the end of this email for your reference.

Our terms of use, which include helpful information about using Apple Discussions, is located here: Apple - Support - Discussions - Help We encourage you to continue using the Apple Discussions while abiding by our terms of use.

If you would like to send feedback to Apple about a product, please use the appropriate selection here: Apple - Feedback
As part of submitting feedback, please read the Unsolicited Idea Submission Policy linked to the feedback page.

Kind regards,
Apple Discussions staff

----------

A copy of your message for reference:

I don't want this to digress to a name calling match so please stay on course with the questions below.

The goal of this post is to gain information from which solutions may result. Questions are geared specifically to see if the antenna issue is real and/or if it is significant.

I have only tested the iPhone 4 for 2 days (pretty extensively over a 50 mile radius from remote spots to hot spots) and comparing it to my 3G. I did NOT test the iPhone 4 with the now "Free" rubber case.

If you could fill out your results to the following questions, it would give everyone a good idea of the reality OR NOT of the antenna issue.

1. Number of phones and models you have or have used enough to test (doesn't have to be Apple).
2. Whether you have a case or not, if cased then provide brand/model of case.
3. Same location (specify approximate location and time of day) timing of how long it takes the same web page to appear with the phone not being held vs. being held. (suggest repeat test 3 times per device per web page to get an average) -- be sure to specify 3G, Edge, or wireless.
4. Number of drop calls per day and activity during the drop call (i.e. sitting in chair, walking, etc.)

I'll start with my informal data:

1. Two phones
a. Apple iPhone 3G
b. Apple iPhone 4

2. Case
a. No case
b. No case

3. Web Page
a. Home (Concord CA), top level house, 1pm ish PT, AT&T 3G, Apple, Handheld 32 seconds avg, Desk 20 seconds avg
b. Home (Concord CA), top level house, 1pm ish PT, AT&T 3G, Apple, Handheld 45 seconds avg, Desk 17 seconds avg

4. Dropped Calls
a. 3 per day avg handheld (7 day sample over SF/Bay Area)
b. 8 per day avg handheld (2 day sample over SF/Bay Area)

Lets just get the data and leave people alone to make their OWN conclusions. It could provide useful information on whether or not a case makes a difference or even specific case brands are better than others ... or not. This needs to be real data, please don't post bogus results to skew the data one way or the other (it's easy to see Apple employees vs. your average consumer).

This is obviously informal and web server loads and traffic peaks will affect results so please try to do your testing in a consistant manner with at least 3 test runs.

P.S. - in item #3 be sure to clear your cache before each test run (Settings | Safari | Clear Cache).

Thanks, Rob

++++++++++

This message is sent from a send-only email account. Any replies sent to this address are deleted automatically by the system.
Apple seem a little more paranoid than normal these days. I really just wanted to see if the rubber case that is now given out free is effective at dealing with the Antenna issue or if perhaps other cases are better or for that matter if there really is an issue that can be quantified.

Worries me when a company doesn't want quantified information.

Rob
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Considering you violated their rules, it's their right to remove your post.

Their forum, their rules. You don't like them, you can pOst somewhere else.

And I'm pretty sure they can get much better quantified information, than from your personal poll which in no way is even statistically valid. They will only make decisions from valid data like any good business.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

I understand your frustration. Apple does not, however have to leave up any posts it doesn't like. It's their web site. I'd suggest posting your poll somewhere not hosted by Apple or just getting a different brand of phone. I had issues myself, and after some initial indignation I realized I could just buy another vendor's product. Hence, I'm waiting on a HTC Droid Incredible. Apple probably feels they don't require your generous assistance at this time.
Best luck.
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Or if you are really intent on getting answers, try and say it another way ??

Cheers

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
macguy90

macguy90 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 13-inch, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel Core i7 Processor

Well, considering you were in violation of Apple's forum rules, they had every right to delete your post. Furthermore, Apple has extremely experienced, highly-qualified engineers that do testing on all their devices.

 MacBook Air 13'' (2013) 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel Core i7
 iPad 4 (16GB) White
 AT&T iPhone 5 (32GB) Black
 Original iPad (16GB) Black
robains

robains is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
Considering you violated their rules, it's their right to remove your post.

Their forum, their rules. You don't like them, you can pOst somewhere else.

And I'm pretty sure they can get much better quantified information, than from your personal poll which in no way is even statistically valid. They will only make decisions from valid data like any good business.
Wow, people seem to very defensive about this ... just about any question asked can be deemed a "poll" and hence violations -- Apple's terms of use are very open ended (intentionally). How would you suggest I post to accomplish the same end result?

I'm not trying to get anyone to make decisions from the data I gather, it's for my use -- I'm not here to decide how someone else should use whatever data I can gather (that's up to them, pretty clear in my original post on that).

I'm simply trying to find out:
1. If there is a significant problem (my testing without case indicates there could be a problem, but that is just one data point)
2. Does a case make any difference to the problem
3. Do different cases work any better or worse with the problem

This isn't really an engineering problem ... Steve Jobs made it clear he knew about the problem but for whatever reason decided it was a none-issue. I'm just trying to discover if it really is a none-issue, if not, how bad an issue, and what fixes work most effectively.

Again, this isn't about Apple and their business decision, they have to live with those not me, I'm on the consumer end.

Rob
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by robains View Post
Again, this isn't about Apple and their business decision,
Based on your initial post and the title of this thread that seems highly unlikely.

schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I'm going to go ahead and close this thread now since any usefulness has been exhausted.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

Thread Closed

« IPHONE Hardware Repair | How do I get a iPhone 4 replaced? »