New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Who's still using the iphone 2g?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Purenight1

Purenight1 is on a distinguished road

if u r,so what make u use the iphone 2g till now but not the iphone 3g or 3gs or 4g?
QUOTE Thanks
dakineyj

dakineyj will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5

My gf is still using my 2g I gave her two years ago. She did pay 200 to have it replaced when it died. So she doesn't want to spend anymore for a new one. She also doesn't want to pay the extra $10 a month if she upgrades for the data. I now have a 3G collecting dust.
QUOTE Thanks
crovian

crovian is on a distinguished road

I like 2g design much more than 3g/s. iphone 4 tops all though imo
QUOTE Thanks
Smudge

Smudge is on a distinguished road

Well, I was using mine until last Thursday. I updated the software and it died. Admittadly, I did already have an iP4 on the way so it's not a huge deal. I never got the 3G or 3Gs because my 2G did everything I needed it to do. I also waited for my contract to end before deciding to buy and at that point, it was pretty obvious that the 3Gs was going to eventually be replaced. I'm in the Navy and ended up being sent on an overseas deployment a few months after my initial 2 year 2G contract was up, so it made even less sense to upgrade to a 3Gs when I wouldn't even be able to use it for 3 months just to come home and have it obsolete..ish...

I was quite happy with my 2G honestly and probably would not have upgraded to the iP4 but my 2G was quite abused and worn. Cracked front glass, horribly scratched and damaged body, but otherwise functional. It was getting a little glitchy so I figured why not retire it?

As I said in an earlier post, I think the 2G may have read my confirmation email that the iP4 had been shipped so it commited suicide because of the grief that I was giving it up!! LOL
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purenight1 View Post
if u r,so what make u use the iphone 2g till now but not the iphone 3g or 3gs or 4g?
Have you considered the cost of upgrading...not everyone is made out of money!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
rfe959

rfe959 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2,1, Macbook Pro 5.1, (2) iphone 4S's, (2) iPad Mini's, Apple TV, MacBook Pro 9.2

My 9 year old boy has my wife's old 2g. He doesn't need anything other than wifi which he uses at home instead of distracting him at school. It's his trial for an iPad.

I also like the 2g design better. I still have mine v/g in the original box.
QUOTE Thanks
hugtheslug

hugtheslug is a jewel in the roughhugtheslug is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2013 MacBook Air i5 13" / 2014 MacBook Air i5 11" / iMac C2D 2.16 GHz 20" / iMac G5 1.6 GHz 17"

I've had my iPhone 2G for only a couple of weeks after my son handed it down to me when he upgraded.
I now have a SIM only contract which has cut costs in half over the previous phone (Nokia 5800 on full contract) so i'm reasonably happy.
I find the internet very slow after the 3G of the Nokia, but overall I reckon the iphone is better.

Cheers

Hugh

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Warning - this user has only a little knowledge
QUOTE Thanks
EvoRoadster

EvoRoadster is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 3.7 GHz Mac Pro, 30" HD cinema display, 12 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 RAM

I inherited my wife's 2G when she upgraded to the 3Gs. I really had no complaint about it since I mostly used it as a phone and for some texting and playing PvsZ or Angry Birds. I have had my 4 for about a week now. I offered it to her but she wants to stick with the 3Gs so I am stuck with the iPhone 4. I guess its only fair since she monopolizes the iPad.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I've kept my 2G because it is usable in both the US and Canada (via, um, magic fairies).

It runs everything I want it to run, works great in both countries (I tend to travel only to sizable cities), and I'm in a wifi environment 90% of the time so the lack of 3G has never been a big issue.

Sure, I thought the compass and GPS and all that were nice on the later models, but it wasn't compelling enough to make me switch, especially considering that having finished my initial contract with AT&T I'm on PAYGO in both countries which is very inexpensive ($19/month in Canada, $25/quarterly for US).

The iPhone 4 is more than compelling enough to make me upgrade, but then I have to get a contract, which now REQUIRES a dataplan, for three years (Canada). That plus a planned iPad and a new laptop later this year ... that's a LOT of money. So I'm still weighing my options. In the meantime, the 2G continues to do everything I *need* it to do (and to my great surprise, most apps run on it just fine).
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
I've kept my 2G because it is usable in both the US and Canada (via, um, magic fairies).

It runs everything I want it to run, works great in both countries (I tend to travel only to sizable cities), and I'm in a wifi environment 90% of the time so the lack of 3G has never been a big issue.

Sure, I thought the compass and GPS and all that were nice on the later models, but it wasn't compelling enough to make me switch, especially considering that having finished my initial contract with AT&T I'm on PAYGO in both countries which is very inexpensive ($19/month in Canada, $25/quarterly for US).

The iPhone 4 is more than compelling enough to make me upgrade, but then I have to get a contract, which now REQUIRES a dataplan, for three years (Canada). That plus a planned iPad and a new laptop later this year ... that's a LOT of money. So I'm still weighing my options. In the meantime, the 2G continues to do everything I *need* it to do (and to my great surprise, most apps run on it just fine).
I went through the same thing just now paying off the new MBP,iPad and iPhone 4 in the last 6 months so I hope nothing new comes down the pipe I did not know I would need.
QUOTE Thanks
VicRattlehead

VicRattlehead is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purenight1 View Post

cost, plain and simple. the iphone i have has everything i need in it and works just fine. why should i spend money on something that doesnt work IPHONE4?? when the announcement of the iphone4 came out i was about to get one, but knowing apple's rep on new stuff coming out is always junk compared to the second or third version i planned on waiting until v4.1 or v4.2 to come out and id get one then. i think im going to wait until iphone5.3 comes out before i upgrade. if my current phone becomes unusable ill get a blackberry until the ip4 is fixed.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

My uncle is currently using an iPhone 2G, but is planning on replacing it sometime in the near future. One of the kids I work with has one, its in pretty rough shape, but he only uses it as an iPod, it doesn't have a SIM card and isn't activated.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
MyBrokeniPhone

MyBrokeniPhone is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13", 3Gs, iTouch and iClassic.

My friend bought a second hand 2G yesterday for 50, I'm jealous because I much prefer the look of it compared to the 3Gs.
QUOTE Thanks
csixty4

csixty4 will become famous soon enough

I just bought a used 2G off eBay and unlocked it to work on T-Mobile. Because of the frequencies involved, an iPhone can't use 3G on T-Mobile anyway, so it was pointless to spend the extra money on a faster phone. When my contract's up, I'll decide if it's worth hanging on to the 2G or going over to AT&T.

2006 MacBook 2GHz Core Duo + MacMini 1.8GHz Core2Duo (HTPC)
iPad, iPhone 2.5G
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Represent!

Two reasons I still use the original iPhone:

1. Germany's official exclusive carrier
In Germany, the iPhone is only available with Deutsche Telekom, who also own T-Mobile USA. In the US they are the underdogs, so they treat their customers like royalty from what I've heard.
In Germany however, they're the largest carrier and like to nickel and dime their customer for all they're worth. Overpriced plans, expensive handsets, outrageous terms of service.

2. Not much incentive
So far, I've been able to use the latest version of the OS and install all the 3rd party apps that are available. MMS never caught on, so I don't miss it, I have wifi coverage at uni, work and home, so I don't really miss 3G that much and while the improved camera and speed are nice, they didn't really justify an upgrade.

So I've stuck with my US iPhone 2G, but am thinking about purchasing a legally unlocked iPhone 4 from the UK in the near future, primarily to be able to use iOS 4 and multitasking.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Simple App Question | iPhone 3Gs Water Damage »