New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone 4 Return Experiences... Post Here

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

For those who for whatever reason, have decided to return their iPhone 4, I'd like to start a thread so we can see how the experience evolves. I'm not looking to slam the iPhone 4 here - there are plenty of threads available for axe grinders. I'm just interested in folk's experiences with their iPhone 4 returns. I'll start...

On Monday evening July 12th, I called AT&T to request a RMA to return the for for a refund. This was before the iPhone event on the 16th, so I'm interested in seeing if I get a full refund or get the 10% restocking fee applied. No big deal on the fee as I agreed to the fee when I bought the phone originally. Additionally, on the 12th I took my 3G to a local AT&T Wireless store and the put a new SIM into the device and reactivated it - free of charge. The 3G works just fine and I am happy with it for the time being.
On Tuesday the 13th, I printed out my RMA label and mailed my iPhone 4 back via USPS Mail. The shipping label supplied by AT&T via email was pre-paid by AT&T i.e. it cost me nothing. The AT&T folks asked no leading questions, and were very polite and accommodating on the phone. They took receipt of it on July 14th and I haven't received any status update as of yet. Apparently, at least for phone sold by AT&T, some company called Newgistics in Fort Worth, TX 76177, is handling the returns. I haven't received any updates since the 14th on the return, nor have I received any credits on my account. My 3G contract, which was previously slated to end 11/2010 is still showing as ending on 06/23/2012. I'll be interested to see how long all this takes to complete. Anyone else's experiences would be interesting to hear...

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
Derek McNelly

Derek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" - 2.3 GHz Quad i7- 8GB RAM - 750GB Hybrid HD - OS X 10.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
For those who for whatever reason, have decided to return their iPhone 4, I'd like to start a thread so we can see how the experience evolves. I'm not looking to slam the iPhone 4 here - there are plenty of threads available for axe grinders. I'm just interested in folk's experiences with their iPhone 4 returns. I'll start...

On Monday evening July 12th, I called AT&T to request a RMA to return the for for a refund. This was before the iPhone event on the 16th, so I'm interested in seeing if I get a full refund or get the 10% restocking fee applied. No big deal on the fee as I agreed to the fee when I bought the phone originally. Additionally, on the 12th I took my 3G to a local AT&T Wireless store and the put a new SIM into the device and reactivated it - free of charge. The 3G works just fine and I am happy with it for the time being.
On Tuesday the 13th, I printed out my RMA label and mailed my iPhone 4 back via USPS Mail. The shipping label supplied by AT&T via email was pre-paid by AT&T i.e. it cost me nothing. The AT&T folks asked no leading questions, and were very polite and accommodating on the phone. They took receipt of it on July 14th and I haven't received any status update as of yet. Apparently, at least for phone sold by AT&T, some company called Newgistics in Fort Worth, TX 76177, is handling the returns. I haven't received any updates since the 14th on the return, nor have I received any credits on my account. My 3G contract, which was previously slated to end 11/2010 is still showing as ending on 06/23/2012. I'll be interested to see how long all this takes to complete. Anyone else's experiences would be interesting to hear...
Just trying to sort this out, but you bought the iPhone 4, didn't care for it, then switched back to your 3G?

MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Quad i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB HHD - OS X 10.8
MacBook 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo - 4 GB RAM - 320 GB HDD - OS X 10.6

MoTM February 2009
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that is correct.
QUOTE Thanks
sonoluminescent

sonoluminescent can only hope to improve

i exchanged mine. The camera lens was ridiculously scratched, as it is nothing but cheap plastic as opposed to super glass. All I had ever done was have it in my pocket with nothing else, or resting on my desk. The rest of the phone was otherwise completely unscratched. The home button was sketchy, and sometimes when I would listen to music and the phone was in front of me and locked, it would go to the unlock screen by itself, as if I had hit the home button. Sometimes I would have to press home several times to get it to work. Must have been a short or something. Walked into the Apple store, got it replaced, no issues since (i'm keeping the factory cover on the back till my screen protectors come in).
QUOTE Thanks
applebjesus

applebjesus is on a distinguished road

Can't say how long you will wait for this particular case but working with Verizon I know they always lead with (as far as returns by mail go) up to six weeks for it to be applied to the account. So you could possibly be waiting about a month or so as these companies tend to drag their feet with return credits.
QUOTE Thanks
dr.qadri

dr.qadri is on a distinguished road

Guys , I was among those who did not think that their iphone 4 had any problem whatsoever...

I moved to a new house and in this house for the last few days I have noticed that my iPhone 4 dropped few calls and also I had poor reception.

In my previous house I did not have an issue and I think because the signals were really strong there.

I was wondering that if I was to travel to a place where I have weak signals and my iphone 4 does not perform its most important task then whats the point.

So I decided to go to the Apple store and get a replacement. Was in Manchester yesterday for one day and went into the Ardana Store. The Customer Sales Rep was very kind to accomodate me even though I did not have an appointment with the Genius Bar.

He connected my iPhone with his macbook and could see the amount of dropped calls in few days and also the reception issues. He said that this would happen with all phones if the signal is weak. I was not happy with his explanation and said that my old 3gs works fine in my new house.

At the end I was given a replacement set and the serial number starts with a 7. The coating on the sides is a bit darker and this iphone 4 does not have any problem at all. So I guess there was a batch with some faulty antennas during the launch. Many do not notice (like myself) until they move to a place where there are not strong signals.

I am extremely happy to get a replacement and I am so happy that this one does not have any reception issue whatsoever!
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.qadri View Post
Guys , I was among those who did not think that their iphone 4 had any problem whatsoever...

I moved to a new house and in this house for the last few days I have noticed that my iPhone 4 dropped few calls and also I had poor reception.

In my previous house I did not have an issue and I think because the signals were really strong there.

I was wondering that if I was to travel to a place where I have weak signals and my iphone 4 does not perform its most important task then whats the point.

So I decided to go to the Apple store and get a replacement. Was in Manchester yesterday for one day and went into the Ardana Store. The Customer Sales Rep was very kind to accomodate me even though I did not have an appointment with the Genius Bar.

He connected my iPhone with his macbook and could see the amount of dropped calls in few days and also the reception issues. He said that this would happen with all phones if the signal is weak. I was not happy with his explanation and said that my old 3gs works fine in my new house.

At the end I was given a replacement set and the serial number starts with a 7. The coating on the sides is a bit darker and this iphone 4 does not have any problem at all. So I guess there was a batch with some faulty antennas during the launch. Many do not notice (like myself) until they move to a place where there are not strong signals.

I am extremely happy to get a replacement and I am so happy that this one does not have any reception issue whatsoever!
Welcome to mac-forums! Congratulations, I'm glad the situation worked out well for you.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

I just returned my iphone 4 for the 2nd time. The first was for the camera freezing every time I tried to take a picture/video. The 2nd time was within 2 hours of getting my first replacement. The vibrator...no not that...was loose or something and DEFINITELY was NOT silent. In both cases, they accepted the phone's problem, and I was in and out in less than 15 minutes. I did notice one thing though, the antenna band doesn't feel as *dry* as it did on the first one. I can't make the phone loose bars no matter what I do or how I hold it. However, I don't think it's a coating, as was mentioned by someone else. Something is different, I just can't put my finger on it! I can actually hold it by the band without having that feeling like it will easily slip off my fingers. hmmm... guess I gotta do some research to see what, if anything, apple has done. My replacements both came out of the black replacement iphones.

It feels like a completely different phone!
QUOTE Thanks
steve16

steve16 is on a distinguished road

Been a big Apple fan since the first Iphone ....even made the switch from Windows to a Macbook. I have really enjoyed the original phones and of course the 3GS (which my wife has now claimed). As mentioned I returned my IP4 after it had decided which calls I would be allowed to take. I may sound like a traitor but I have now switched to an Android model which at the moment is really good..........and I decide which calls I wish to answer. I am disappointed with Apple over this matter, but I guess the writing was on the wall when the IP4 misbehaved when being introduced for the first time !
Anyway my wifes contarct runs out next May/June so I may be back for the Iphone 5........................never say never
QUOTE Thanks
scedtitan

scedtitan is on a distinguished road

May be trying to get an exchange myself. My IP4 has been in a case since day 1. It has never been dropped, doesnt have a single scratch on it. Today when I took it out of the slider case, I noticed the top edge of the screen is chipped where the glass meets the plastic band between the glass and metal strip. Not sure how this could happen seeing its protected by the case and had a zagg shield on it during the 2 weeks ive had it. Its not too noticable, but the simple fact that it is there irritates me now.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve16 View Post
I may sound like a traitor but I have now switched to an Android model which at the moment is really good..........and I decide which calls I wish to answer. I am disappointed with Apple over this matter, but I guess the writing was on the wall when the IP4 misbehaved when being introduced for the first time !
Anyway my wifes contarct runs out next May/June so I may be back for the Iphone 5........................never say never
I'm going Android as well for the next year. Perhaps the IP5 will suit me better. I guess I'll have to wait and see. Then again, the idea of wireless sync, replaceable batteries and choice of multiple free browsers, email clients and application launchers is very appealing as well. Waiting on a Verizon Droid Incredible right now.

QUOTE Thanks
Derek McNelly

Derek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" - 2.3 GHz Quad i7- 8GB RAM - 750GB Hybrid HD - OS X 10.8

You are not going to be disappointed with the Incredible. Quite a few of my friends got them on launch day, and **** that is a nice phone. I'm not super keen on the OS, but that's personal preference. If I were in the market for an Android device, that's the one I'd definitely get.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

Actually, late update. I switched my order to a DX as the DInc keeps getting bumped back due to supply chain issues.

QUOTE Thanks
Derek McNelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
Actually, late update. I switched my order to a DX as the DInc keeps getting bumped back due to supply chain issues.
You honestly can't go wrong with the Droid series of devices. (Droid, Incredible, Droid X). They're all excellent phones.

MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Quad i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB HHD - OS X 10.8
MacBook 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo - 4 GB RAM - 320 GB HDD - OS X 10.6

MoTM February 2009
QUOTE Thanks
roeiboot

roeiboot will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MB061LL/B & iPhone4

no true exchange experience.. but i was close :} got the iP4 saturday night @ RadioShack, all is fine -no "deathgrip" or any of that. only thing i noticed is that if i take a photo in low lighting skin (faces, arms etc.) and white objects turn yellow'ish. (actually my son looked like an Oompa Loompa :} so i strolled into the 1 day before opened Apple store at a local mall.. they were willing to exchange, and even though they only had 32Gb and i have 16Gb i would gave gotten it if i would have brought my receipt and box..

that's why i said a close exchange... haven't tested taken more pics or seeing if it's resolved in iOS 4.0.1 (iP4 had iOS 4 on it, and still does) as it's not a huge issue... i may wait it out till the supply is more constant (i actually could not believe they even had any... must have been since they are a very new store and didn't want to sell no on day 1)

~rb
iPhone 4 /16GB MacBook3,1 iPad my blog
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Any experience with Audiovox RCA RC65i iPod & iPhone 3G Docking Clock & iPhone 4G | Iphone4 call/text sound problems »