New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Lens scratches?

Thread Closed

akstylish

akstylish is on a distinguished road

I read a recent complaint thread about lens which unfortunately was closed, so I made a new thread.

I haven't thought about the lens' durability until I read the thread and that got me worried. I can tell s/he was teasing the phone, but I'm still conscious about it when carrying the phone. I only put a screen protector and it doesn't cover the lens. Now the obvious question is: how does the lens hold up against scratches and cracks without protection? If the lens' glass is the same as previous generations, your experience with them would be nice to hear as well.
applebjesus

applebjesus is on a distinguished road

I have owned the original iPhone (with no case) for nine months and the 3G for close to two years (with an in-case slider) and never had a problem with the camera lens. The in-case slider has a recessed camera hole so that might have helped some and there are third party cases out now for the iPhone 4 that offer recessed camera holes.

If you want to use the phone without a case you can take a cheap screen protector and cut out a small square (or circle if you are precise) to cover just the lens. Or utilize front and back screen protectors and overlay the back protector on top of a manually cut square (or circular) cutout just for the lens. All back protectors and cases will have cutouts for the camera and flash so you'll have to make your own if you want to cover up the camera lens for some protection.
sonoluminescent

sonoluminescent can only hope to improve

Yeah my 3g and 3gs never had any lens scratches, nor my mom's 3g or girlfriends 3gs. iPhone 4 had them in a matter of days. I believe the lens on the 3 series is glass and the 4 is cheap plastic.
macjuicy23

macjuicy23 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3

Ghost Armor case solved
morani

morani is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.66GHz, 4-GB DDR3, 500-GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

The Apple genius sent my iPhone in for repair on Thursday and I received my new replacement iPhone Fedex Saturday delivery! Lens is perfect of course, pictures look wonderful again (as wonderful as 2MP can get).

Now the challenge is to get the new lens to stay 'perfect'.

think differently
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

You can usually bet that if a thread was closed like that, it was do to the person being a troll, in which case, their "claims" are usually pretty suspect and shouldn't be trusted.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

sonoluminescent

Schweb.

Do you have an iPhone 4?
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoluminescent View Post
Yeah my 3g and 3gs never had any lens scratches, nor my mom's 3g or girlfriends 3gs. iPhone 4 had them in a matter of days. I believe the lens on the 3 series is glass and the 4 is cheap plastic.
The back of the iPhone 4 is glass, not plastic.

Apple - iPhone 4 - Design of the display, A4 processor, and more

Quote:
Schweb.

Do you have an iPhone 4?
Yes, I've had it since launch day.

If you're iPhone 4 is made of plastic, are you sure you have one?

sonoluminescent

The LENS. not the whole back.
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I find it strange that just the lens is getting scratched and not the rest of the back of the phone.
sonoluminescent

Face palm. I don't find it strange, seeing as it is plastic.
schweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I find it strange that just the lens is getting scratched and not the rest of the back of the phone.
Well I also wonder what's happening to that particular phone because it's not like there's a lot of people complaining about this.

schweb

Quote:
Face palm. I don't find it strange, seeing as it is plastic.
How do you know it's plastic?

dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Face Palm?

The camera lens is recessed a bit. Sure looks like it in the pics.

Also would you take say an expensive Canon or Nikon camera and rub keys on the lens?
sonoluminescent

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!? I didn't rub keys on anything. The phone stays in my left pocket, by itself.

Thread Closed

« iPhone 3GS won't sync with iTunes | iPhone+iPod touch not charging »