New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Iphone 4 bluetooth connecting to macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

psblake

psblake is on a distinguished road

Does connecting via bluetooth to the iphone 4 do anything? I can't transfer files or get to itunes. Can I tether if I buy that option?

Such a worthless feature if you cannot do anything with the bluetooth connection to macbook.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

It's not a worthless feature; millions of people use Bluetooth on Macs and on iPhones every day.

Bluetooth on iPhone is, at present, pretty much limited to headsets. I mean, it's a phone, kinda logical if you ask me.

Transfers of info from Mac<->iPhone would be hella slow compared to docking or wifi as used presently.
QUOTE Thanks
macdctr

macdctr is on a distinguished road

OP,

If you have internet tethering then you can use your iPhone with your mac for internet connections. The problem is that you can only get the 2GB data plan with the iPhone4.

MacPro - Quad 3.0GHz Xeon - 4TB HD - 8GB RAM
15" MBP - 2.33 GHz Core2Duo - 250GB HD - 2GB RAM
White MB - 2.4 GHz - 500GB/7200RPM HD - 6GB RAM
32GB iPhone4
QUOTE Thanks
psblake

psblake is on a distinguished road

Tethering is nice but to have the capability to connect to your macbook sync your phone transfer photos should be all there in the bluetooth spec but for some reason the apple folk have disabled or chosen to not allow it.

I can connect to my macbook but it does nothing unless I want to pay extra to tether.

Sad. Such a cool phone in so many respects and I love everything about my iphone 4 but cannot even integrate with my apple computer.

I think headphones are the least of what bluetooth should be doing.
QUOTE Thanks
jdiddy

jdiddy is on a distinguished road

i have the iphone 4 and before that had a blackberry. never had a problem with bluetooth and my macbook. transferred photos and files without issue and it was fast. i'm disappointed about this bc i figured mac with mac would be the best option for any connectivity. never imagined my macbook worked better with my blackberry. so sad.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Perhaps you all should have done more research instead of making uniformed assumption prior to putting down your money.

QUOTE Thanks
tdietz87

tdietz87 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" (spring 2010), iPhone 4 16gb

I had an LG dare phone and loved the bluetooth feature of transferring pictures off my phone onto the macbook without wi-fi. And it was very simple too.

I dont understand why apple has made it so you cannot do that with the iphone 4. However, I agree that connecting it with the supplied USB cord works, sometimes I don't feel like carrying that with me. Probably another way apple wants you to spend more money.

To those who said bluetooth is useless on the iphone 4, I completely disagree. I use it every day when I drive. Bluetooth through the car speakers and mic is just awesome and safe.
QUOTE Thanks
clive12

clive12 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.

Traditional phones allow connection to the net via Bluetooth but it's very slow. I guess the reasons the networks don't allow this is because they want to charge for data tethering.
QUOTE Thanks
logan78511

logan78511 is on a distinguished road

On my Droid I can use an app called PDA Net to tether for free without paying Verizon to my mac. Can do it bluetooth or USB. But the google market is open so they can have stuff like that. Definitely wish the iPhone could! It could at one time but apple got wind of the app and took it off the app store.
QUOTE Thanks
EARL97850

EARL97850 is on a distinguished road

I'm waiting to get the iPhone till it does in fact becomes available on Verizon network, but I'd like to be able to tether it to a laptop.

I'm also thinking of getting the new macbook air and would like to be able to have a wifi hotspot available through th iphone but that seems impossible.

Cya
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« thinking of getting iphone, have some questions | Help! just bought a Iphone 4 but have a G4 »