New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Wow! Best Buy threatening to fire employee over iPhone 4 vs HTC Evo video

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacTrooper

MacTrooper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24", 3.06GHz, 1TB HD, 4GB RAM; MBP 15" 2.53 GHz

Things that make you go hmmmm...

I'm neither a fan-boy nor a hater but I found this YouTube video highlighted by The iPhone Spot last week to be quite funny. [Warning: the video contains plenty of language that will be offensive to some.]

Imagine my surprise when I see on the local news that not only is the creator local, he's also a Best Buy employee who is at risk of being fired because he won't pull the video down. Nevermind that the video never mentions Best Buy. I don't even think the that the real gist of the video is even about the iPhone as much as it is about the blind adoration that people sometimes direct at tech products, which lead to things like people being camped out in Dallas a week before product launch. People can be just as goofy about gaming systems, games themselves... heck, you name it.

Like I said, I'm neither a fan-boy nor a hater, but I gotta go with young Mr. Maupin, the embattled employee, on this one. Shame on you, Best Buy.

 iMac 24"" 3.06GHz; 4GB RAM w/ Magic Mouse
 MacBook Pro 15" 2.53GHz w/ Magic Mouse
 iPhone 4 32GB
 iPod Classic 160GB
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Did they give a reason why BestBuy is threatening to fire him? Did the video share proprietary information that he would only know as a BestBuy employee?

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

I just watched it, It's a pretty funny video and doesn't mention Bestbuy at all.

I was cracking up, I needed a good laugh.
QUOTE Thanks
MacTrooper

MacTrooper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24", 3.06GHz, 1TB HD, 4GB RAM; MBP 15" 2.53 GHz

No. The video was created through some publicly hosted software, and is a fictitious exchange between a generic salesman and a customer looking for an iPhone. The news story only says that when BB realized one of their employees was the creator (probably as a result of some watercooler conversation that got reported up), he was asked to take it down.

Maybe BB's beef is that the video really pokes fun at customers and they don't want to be associated with badmouthing customers. That, of course, is interesting since it is their own efforts to silence their employee that has linked the video with BB in the first place.

 iMac 24"" 3.06GHz; 4GB RAM w/ Magic Mouse
 MacBook Pro 15" 2.53GHz w/ Magic Mouse
 iPhone 4 32GB
 iPod Classic 160GB
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTrooper View Post
Maybe BB's beef is that the video really pokes fun at customers and they don't want to be associated with badmouthing customers. That, of course, is interesting since it is their own efforts to silence their employee that has linked the video with BB in the first place.
In all honesty though, if an employee of any company can be identified with a piece of work which portrays the potential customer of that company in a negative way, any company would react the same way as BestBuy right now. Actually most companies even have written policies prohibiting such things.

So as much as I might feel for the guy, he should have been more careful to not be identified with the video. I'm probably pretty sure BestBuy has some sort of clause against this in their employment contract or policy book.

QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
In all honesty though, if an employee of any company can be identified with a piece of work which portrays the potential customer of that company in a negative way, any company would react the same way as BestBuy right now. Actually most companies even have written policies prohibiting such things.

So as much as I might feel for the guy, he should have been more careful to not be identified with the video. I'm probably pretty sure BestBuy has some sort of clause against this in their employment contract or policy book.

Very true, I work for USPS we have the same policies in effect in regards to what can and cannot say or do in or out of work.
It was still a funny video, I just wish instead of mocking the customer they could make a video of the typical Bestbuy employee, Seriously it's near impossible to get good service there.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargsbeer View Post
I just wish instead of mocking the customer they could make a video of the typical Bestbuy employee, Seriously it's near impossible to get good service there.
So true, that's why I refuse to shop there. If I wanted to deal with 16-year old brats, I'd be a high school teacher.

QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
So true, that's why I refuse to shop there. If I wanted to deal with 16-year old brats, I'd be a high school teacher.
Amen, my sentiments exactly.
QUOTE Thanks
markbyrn

markbyrn will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro

Actually he made two videos that bashed both the iPhone and the EVO 4G, or more accurately, bashing the cultish fan boy syndrome that accompanies those who tout for either Apple or Android. I suppose if you work for Best Buy though, your job is to exploit the fan boys to maximize sales as opposed to mocking them.
QUOTE Thanks
macjuicy23

macjuicy23 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3

Over 3 million hits you would think he would of made a donation Paypal even if each person gave .50 cents lmao imagine
QUOTE Thanks
jacksonian

jacksonian will become famous soon enough

That was hysterical. Thanks for posting it!
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Whatever their reasons, I can understand B.B. not wanting an employee to be tied to something even slightly controversial or offensive. They are a huge company with lots of money and there's always some moron out there looking to sue you over anything and everything. Especially if you're a bigger company.
If a teacher can be fired over facebook photos, then this story doesn't seem so outrageous.

Personal opinion: parts of it were humorous, but the gratuitous foul language took a lot away from the humor. Could have done without that altogether.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
macjuicy23

macjuicy23 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
Whatever their reasons, I can understand B.B. not wanting an employee to be tied to something even slightly controversial or offensive. They are a huge company with lots of money and there's always some moron out there looking to sue you over anything and everything. Especially if you're a bigger company.
If a teacher can be fired over facebook photos, then this story doesn't seem so outrageous.

Personal opinion: parts of it were humorous, but the gratuitous foul language took a lot away from the humor. Could have done without that altogether.
Seriously... Here are Key points
1. He never mentioned BB
2. Its not like hes an executive for the company
3. he doesent even appear on the video
4. I think its just a load of crap to get Youtube Hits thats all LOL
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjuicy23 View Post
Seriously... Here are Key points
1. He never mentioned BB
2. Its not like hes an executive for the company
3. he doesent even appear on the video
4. I think its just a load of crap to get Youtube Hits thats all LOL
Doesn't matter. It's called being an responsible adult and an representative of the company you work for. The guy wanted attention, and now he's got it. But the problem here is that he's not only putting himself in the public eye, but also the company he works for.

Sure, I personally think it's silly.. but have you even SEEN the stupid media world we've been subjected to in this idiotic 21st century? You can't say or do anything these days, without being the subject of a media circus, and BB don't want that sort of publicity. It's their business, and they can run it anyway they see fit.

If this guy has a big enough mouth to go and tell his BB employee pals about the video, and didn't see forward enough to know that he should have just shut his yapper, then it's all fair game IMO.

Ya live and learn. That's life. And for the record, I laughed my patoot off the first time I saw that animation. For some reason though, no matter how many more times I watch it, it's just never been funny again. Weird.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargsbeer View Post
Very true, I work for USPS we have the same policies in effect in regards to what can and cannot say or do in or out of work.
Ahh-Ha!!! That explains the "gun" fetish!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhone 4 Dock & Zagg Invisible Shield | Post pics of colored bumper!! »