New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

New iPhone unimpressed

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

HrlmWrld

HrlmWrld is an unknown at this point

I am wondering am I alone in my thinking that the new iPhone is not a huge leap forward over the 3GS? I just wasn't that amazed by the overall size, look, and feel of the new device. I love the sharpness of the new disply and all, but I am not lusting after it like I did the 3GS. In the sales number are true, I am certainly in the minority in my thinking.

Am I getting cynical or to finicky because I returned the iPad after a week of use!?
QUOTE Thanks
Buddha_luver

Buddha_luver will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Iphone 3GS 16GB Ipad 16GB

What don't you like about the iPhone 4 and iPad?
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Without stating what you do not like about them it sounds like only the looks have turned
you off.
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HrlmWrld View Post
I am wondering am I alone in my thinking that the new iPhone is not a huge leap forward over the 3GS? I just wasn't that amazed by the overall size, look, and feel of the new device. I love the sharpness of the new disply and all, but I am not lusting after it like I did the 3GS. In the sales number are true, I am certainly in the minority in my thinking.

Am I getting cynical or to finicky because I returned the iPad after a week of use!?
Yup, you are alone.

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Am I "lusting after it"? No. Do I want one? Yes. My 3G is getting a bit long in the tooth and a snappy new gadget will be nice. Frankly I think the iPhone 4 looks better than the 3G or 3Gs.

QUOTE Thanks
LindsayM

LindsayM is on a distinguished road

iphone 4 does have a lovely quality feel. This issue with the antenna is disappointing and I cannot hook up to Wi-Fi which might result in a new phone.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I wouldn't say you're "alone" but yes as you say you're in the minority.

Perhaps you've not really explored iOS 4 all that much yet (particularly FaceTime, which I hear is amazing), or perhaps you are correct: from the 3GS, the 4 may not seem quite as big a jump.

I, on the other hand, will be moving from a first-day iPhone 2G, so I'm expecting to be wowed.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Have a friend that thinks BMWs are some of the ugliest cars around.

Have not seen the new phone up close and personal yet, but I rather like my 3GS.
Like the curve of the back, feels comfortable in my hand. And what about those volume buttons that stick out.

Are we in the minority? Maybe among iPhone users. Among mobile phone users, don't think so.

If any single thing appealed to everyone, there'd be no need for these cinemas with a different movie playing on 12, 15 and 20 different screens at a time. We could have one movie studio putting out a movie a week and have that one movie playing on the 200-300 theater screens we have here in the Dallas area.

There'd be no need for Dodge, Ford, Chevy, Nissan and Toyota all making full size pickup trucks.

There's definitely no need for Panasonic, Sony, Sansui, Samsung, Sharp, Hitachi, LG, Mitsubishi, Toshiba, Polaroid, Westinghouse, Vizio, Sylvania, ProScan, Viore, Viewsonic, et al... making TV sets.

There'd be no need for TVs being made in 5", 6", 7", 9" 13", 15", 17", 19" 20", 21", 22", 24", 25", 26", 27", 30", 32", 36", 40", 42", 45", 48", 49", 50", 52", 55", 58", 60" 62", 65".... sizes either.

We could go back to the 1950's when there were like 3 manufacturers of TVs in 3 sizes and no such thing as a cell phone.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

The new display alone, IMHO, is enough to want this new phone even if nothing else changed. It's amazing.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
BadApple

BadApple will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 32G iPad

You are not alone, I think the are great but sold mine thing I just wanted a white version, but bought a droid.
The shape is a bit hard to get use too, my sons slides of the desk...
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

I believe people who do not like it after buying it are the ones who bought the phone because of the image it carries. I got it for the screen, imovie capable, camera and video, and 32gb size, all of which were an incredible upgrade from my 3g. If you buy a phone not knowing what you want out of it, chances are you will be let down, but this goes for almost anything that you can buy in life. I've been editing some movie clips together in 720p with the imovie app all day from some fun times...it's incredible that you can do so much on just a phone!
QUOTE Thanks
BadApple

I bought because I had all 4 at launch and loved it, this last one not so much.
Maybe because I use my iPad more now.. Not sure..
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadApple View Post
Maybe because I use my iPad more now.. Not sure..
I think that has a lot to do with it. I can do everything on my iPad that I could do on my iPhone.
QUOTE Thanks
BadApple

I think so maybe that's why I want a good phone not any more toys.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I jumped from my 3G, and it was quite a jump. So I'm very happy with it. I suppose from the 3GS it's not quite as special, but I think overall it's definitely a significant jump from the the past 2 redesigns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Are we in the minority? Maybe among iPhone users. Among mobile phone users, don't think so.
Actually, I think the population is general likes this iPhone much more than any past versions, which is why they had crazy sales the first week. I had read many comments on tech blogs like "I don't like Apple or the iPhone, but this one looks really nice."

This is definitely the most attention it's drawn since the first.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Post pics of colored bumper!! | Best Buy Zagg install question?? »