New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone 3GS on t-mobile

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ryankk49

ryankk49 is on a distinguished road

How does an unlocked iPhone 3GS work with t-mobile? I know there's only 2G speeds and no visual voicemail, but is there anything else you'll lack?

Also, can you unlock an iPhone 3GS but not jailbreak it? And how would you go about getting the new OS's when they come out? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

If your iPhone is out of contract with AT&T, you can ask them to unlock it for you and one that's done, you can move it to T-Mobile, with the restrictions you mentioned. When a new OS comes out, you'd just download it in iTunes and then perform the update..the OS updates are not pushed over the air..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Further more you will only get 2G speeds and no visual voicemail everything else will work.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
If your iPhone is out of contract with AT&T, you can ask them to unlock it for you and one that's done, you can move it to T-Mobile, with the restrictions you mentioned. When a new OS comes out, you'd just download it in iTunes and then perform the update..the OS updates are not pushed over the air..

Regards

So AT&T will unlock it for you? I'm asking since I'm thinking of giving my 3G to my daughter when I get an iPhone 4 and she's on T-Mobile.

QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
So AT&T will unlock it for you? I'm asking since I'm thinking of giving my 3G to my daughter when I get an iPhone 4 and she's on T-Mobile.
As far as I know At&t has not and will not unlock any iPhone. You will need to go through a 3rd party for the unlock, I'm sure you can figure it out it's very easy to do.

PM me if you need help.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

I'm hearing that AT&T won't unlock it..which just seems strange..cuz if you paid the original price to start the service, stuck with them for 2 years to fulfill your contract, you essentially own the phone at that point. THey had no problems giving me the unlock code for the Blackjack II that I later sold..so why should the iPhone be any different??

A call to AT&T would clear this up though..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

ATT will unlock any device after a certain amount of time except with the iPhone.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric559 View Post
ATT will unlock any device after a certain amount of time except with the iPhone.

That's the reason why the hackers are constantly trying to come up with a new unlock.

It's interesting in most other countries Apple or the carrier will unlock the iPhone either at the end of the contract or for a fee. And it's a permanent unlock.
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargsbeer View Post
That's the reason why the hackers are constantly trying to come up with a new unlock.

It's interesting in most other countries Apple or the carrier will unlock the iPhone either at the end of the contract or for a fee. And it's a permanent unlock.
Agreed!

Links for sources:
Answer Center | AT&T
iPhone escapes AT&T's unlock settlement

It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric559 View Post
Doesn't even have to be a certain amount of time. All you need to do is call a specific ATT number (I've done this) and tell them that you're going on an extended trip over seas, and will need to unlock your phone so that you don't accrue incredible international data fees. They usually get you unlocked within 24-48 hours (with the code).

I hadn't tried this with an iPhone, but it's likely true that they won't do it in that case. Still can't hurt to try though..

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
ryankk49

Thanks for the advice guys. So I'm looking to buy a 3GS then unlock it to t-mobile. I heard that not all 3GS's can be unlocked. Is this true? And if so, what should I look for when buying a 3GS. People down here are trying to sell unlocked versions for $200 so I'd rather just unlock it myself.
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryankk49 View Post
Thanks for the advice guys. So I'm looking to buy a 3GS then unlock it to t-mobile. I heard that not all 3GS's can be unlocked. Is this true? And if so, what should I look for when buying a 3GS. People down here are trying to sell unlocked versions for $200 so I'd rather just unlock it myself.

After June 24th or 25th the unlock will be released for all iPhones. From there you can google the process it's very simple takes less than 15 minutes.
As long as your iPhone doesn't have water damage or beat up you should be fine.
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
Doesn't even have to be a certain amount of time. All you need to do is call a specific ATT number (I've done this) and tell them that you're going on an extended trip over seas, and will need to unlock your phone so that you don't accrue incredible international data fees. They usually get you unlocked within 24-48 hours (with the code).

I hadn't tried this with an iPhone, but it's likely true that they won't do it in that case. Still can't hurt to try though..

Doug
Ah yes I forgot about that method. I haven't tried it with any phone but I have seen this method posted many times. Thanks for bringing it up!

It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
ryankk49

Would this work with the latest firmware and baseband?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Taking iphone on holiday | Some Questions Regarding iPhone Upgrade »