New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Is anybody else concerned about iAds??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

class77

class77 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4

I am very serious about getting a new iPhone, but I don't like the idea of having my phone hijacked by Apple endorsed advertisers. I'm getting my phone to communicate with those whom I deem appropriate, not the companies who pay Apple for my details.

Am I overreacting or can someone allay my fears? I really don't want ads to be popping up on my phone all the time
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

I am not concerned about iAd in any way. I think it is brilliant in any way. I just hope the individual advertisers get a fair % of the advertising revenue from it. Otherwise I love it. Apple took a necessary evil and turned it from a lemon into sweet sweet lemonade.

I will not be as bad as you think it is. And if you think you an eliminate advertising from your life completely, you are kidding yourself. They are here to stay. So might as well make them good.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

I certainly share your sentiment in that I don't like my "info" being shared with the likes of advertisers, but I do think you might be a tad misinformed, and someone I hope will correct me if I'm wrong. I think that the only way your 'info' would be shared, is if you actually clicked on an ad, and decided to participate in an advertiser's campaign, such as a contest to win a prize. But even then, I think that the only thing being shared (I'm not positive about this though) is your name and zip code.

I haven't read about iAd in depth, and am getting this info based off of Steve's keynote address, where he demonstrates iAd and shows the contest which Nissan is hosting.

I'm also with you in that I don't want to see ugly adds on my screen, which might detract from the apps natural graphic flow, but you might be able to 'x' them out and close them, not sure about that either.

There is one thing for sure though, in a world of smart phones, you'll be really hard pressed to find an OS which hasn't opened its self up to adverts, and I'd personally rather deal with the way Apple is handling the way they're presented than any other manufacturer right now. Ads on the Android system might actually pose a threat to the user, considering the nature of the OS they're running on, whereas with Apple's iOS 4, you know that everything is being scrutinized in order that it benefits the advertiser AND the user.

In a perfect world, we wouldn't need to deal with advertisements, but the fact is that the world where tech goods are manufactured, bought and sold, are totally consumerist, and that falls in line with making as much money as possible. Apple's simply making the most out of it for everyone involved, in the best way they know how. And I'm really certain that they wouldn't put the millions of users they have at risk in terms of having their personal information in dangerous hands.

If you're very concerned, it's pretty easy to find Steve Job's email address. Why don't you shoot him an e mail with your concerns and ask some questions? I bet that he, or someone representing him directly will answer you sincerely. If you ask specific questions, they have to be transparent about the answers, since they're in teh public eye and have a lot to lose if they're hit with a law suit involving a case such as misuse of private/personal information.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
Ads on the Android system might actually pose a threat to the user, considering the nature of the OS they're running on, whereas with Apple's iOS 4, you know that everything is being scrutinized in order that it benefits the advertiser AND the user.
What threats are there with advertisements and the android system?

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
eddielee

eddielee is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iM ac,13.3" Aluminium Unibody Macbook, iPhone 4

I'm so happy about iAd's! I'm fed up of crappy little adverts that look rubbish and ruin the appearance of the app. And as steve jobs said developers make no money from them because people don't click them as they take you out of the app. These new ad's will really improve the quality of free apps

Thanks, Eddie
Software Engineering Student, NTU
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

But the big question is:

Would the advertising revenue from iAd be enough such that they can lower the price of their Apps and use the iAd revenue to cover their costs? If that was the case it'd be really cool.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Thread moved to more appropriate forum. Please read before posting in Rumors & Reports.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric559 View Post
What threats are there with advertisements and the android system?
I second that question.

People are so freaked out about iAd. I have said this before it's nothing new, Apple has to stay competitive, Android has been doing this for a while and if you have ever used Cydia on your iPhone then already familiar with these type of ads.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargsbeer View Post
I second that question.

People are so freaked out about iAd. I have said this before it's nothing new, Apple has to stay competitive, Android has been doing this for a while and if you have ever used Cydia on your iPhone then already familiar with these type of ads.
Maybe I'm missing something here, but what makes iAd any different from the ads currently displayed in a great many of the free apps out there right now? In my cursory glance at the product, it just looked like an improvement to the design of those ads.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
eddielee

eddielee is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iM ac,13.3" Aluminium Unibody Macbook, iPhone 4

#1 Easier for developers to implement
#2 Easier for developers to get paid, uses same method that they get paid for there apps with
#3 Dosnt take the user out of the app

Thanks, Eddie
Software Engineering Student, NTU
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Maybe I'm missing something here, but what makes iAd any different from the ads currently displayed in a great many of the free apps out there right now? In my cursory glance at the product, it just looked like an improvement to the design of those ads.
Exactly.

Download any free app today and you'll probably see ads in there. The only difference is that these ads will most likely look a bit nicer and Apple gets a cut.

Don't want iAds? Then don't install free or low-cost apps that use them - it's that simple.
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
Don't want iAds? Then don't install free or low-cost apps that use them - it's that simple.
That's pretty much what it comes down to. It will be mostly free or low-costing apps that will have ads. As it's true for a lot of things...if you don't want to see ads then you have to pay for it. I would only be mad if I paid a good price for an app and it still had ads. The app makers have the choice whether to have ads or not even the free ones but I'm assuming the free apps will use iAds so they can make some money.

Class77 is concerned that the ads will hijack his iPhone but if he/she watched the keynote then they would realized that it's not much different than other ads in software and sites you go to like this forum. The difference is that iAd allows the users to be more interactive if they choose to click on the ad. Instead of the ad taking to you to their website like most ads do the ad itself allows to you interact with it without leaving your opened app.

From my understanding of what Jobs said at the keynote iAd has two purposes. The first was to make a better advertising experience so that users will click on them more often. The second reason was to encourage more free and low priced apps. As mentioned if you don't like ads then pay for the higher priced apps. It might be wise for the app makers to offer a paid version and a free version with ads. You get what you pay for.
QUOTE Thanks
rogerinlondon

rogerinlondon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro 2,66GHz 10GB RAM NV 8800GT Cinema 30" * MBP 15" Glossy 2.33 GHz 2 Duo 3GB RAM 160GB HD

You get what you pay for, yeah... Who is saying that they will not stick the ads in the paid apps as well? If it is so efficient and easy to get paid why not? Looks to me as if it will be ads all over the place and no chance to block them since Apple controls all the apps that you can install. Maybe a reason to jailbreak?
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerinlondon View Post
Who is saying that they will not stick the ads in the paid apps as well?
I don't believe there is anything that blocks ads from any app but that is the same with all computer software you buy no matter if it's Mac, Windows, or iPhone. Most of the time users will be very angry if there are ads in their paid software so most software companies choose not to add advertising. You are paying them yourself so unless they are super greedy there is no reason for them to use ads.

Usually the only ads on computer software are in the free ones. Apple is not forcing any iPhone app creator to add advertising. It's there if they want to use it so if they choose to **** off the customers with ads on a paid app then they can do so at the risk of most likely losing those customers. Even the free apps can still choose to not use iAds if I understand it correctly.

I personally will never pay for software that has advertising. If it's free I don't mind ads as long as the ads are not obnoxious and get in the way all the time like pop-ups.

I don't know why people are so defensive about this. It's like Google ads and other website ads. Some websites choose to use them while others don't. It's not like you will get blasted with ads all over your iPhone. As mentioned above the simple solution if you don't want ads is to not use apps that contain ads. This usually means you have to get paid apps to be ad free.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. iPhone 5s 64gb

I think that the iAds that were kind of shown off by apple are brilliant. I just hope that they are all interesting and get the user involved, otherwise, any other, useless info advertisement would be a waste of iphone screen landscape!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« So, why is AT&T really allowing early upgrade?? | Iphone 4g Bumpers??? »