New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone can't connect with my WiFi?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kmccabe

kmccabe is on a distinguished road

Has anyone had this problem?

I recently moved, and had to reset up my WiFi system. I have an airport extreme that I set up a wireless network with, and (after some navigating) it connects fine to my laptop.

It's a different story on my iPhone though...

The WiFi icon just doesn't appear in the upper left of the iPhone screen.

When I go to Settings > WiFi, the phone sees the network I set up. But the phone itself never displays the WiFi icon... and is only connecting to the internet through the abysmal AT&T 3G network.

I have even gone to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings... hoping that would work. When I return to Settings > WiFi, I find my network and submit the password. The phone says it is joining... but then the same problem remains and I can't connect via WiFi.

It's weird!

Anyone else experience this problem? Any advice?

Cheers!
Kyle
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Which AE do u have - a dual band model? Are you sure that you have entered the correct password into the iPhone?
Try going into Airport utility and changing the Network Password then entering that new password in both the laptop and iphone.
QUOTE Thanks
Peakoverload

Peakoverload has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 3.1Ghz 16GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 4.

This may not be the same problem but I have a recurrent problem with my iPhone and Wi-Fi where it does connect to my Wi-Fi network but then as soon as I do anything that makes it go online, the Wi-Fi drops and I'm back to 3G.

I've found that if I go into the set-up page of my router and changed the Wi-Fi mode from Mixed to G only then my iPhone is happy again for several months. Then it will suddenly decide it doesnt like my Wi-Fi network again and I have to log back into my router and change it back from G only to Mixed.

Yes it makes no sense whatsoever but it does work!

Might be worth trying in your case.

HTH
QUOTE Thanks
kmccabe

Thanks for writing me back.

I've definitely got the password right. But I've changed it a couple of times in "Airport Utility" and then on my iPhone... to no avail. What's even weirder is that I can pick up a neighbor's WiFi (which doesn't require a password) just fine! I can't pick up my own... which is annoying.

In terms of the response about the "setup page of my router," I don't see where it is that I toggle between G and Mixed. Is that in the Airport Utility somewhere? I don't see it... (sorry! not a programmer...)
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Kyle probably at the stage where we need to know more, which version of Extreme do u have and what OS are you using? There are are few variations that can vary choices of settings.
When u set it up again after the move did you use the Setup Assistant to do all the settings? And i take it the iPh was connecting no problem at the old place.
QUOTE Thanks
kmccabe

Thanks for your help. But I actually figured out a way to make it work...

The problem was airport extreme, and not the iPhone.

If you're interested.... I am running an older macbook pro... with os x 10.4.11 and an airport extreme (model a1143).

I decided to try to make the wifi system work with an older airport express I had. After some putzing, that did the trick... and my laptop, apple tv, and iphone all connected via wifi with airport express.

Then I took my airport extreme, and did a factory reset, but I joined the pre-existing wifi network that I'd created with the airport express.

It worked. The only thing that I can tell that is different is in the Airport Extreme's "Internet" tab... where it is no longer in "Bridge Mode," but is now set to "Share a public IP address."

I don't know what that really means, but since it is working, I'm not messing with it!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iphone Theme problem ( winterboard ) | iPhone screen problem, help. »