New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Activating iPhone 3G


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
Luneth

 
Member Since: Apr 10, 2010
Posts: 10
Luneth is on a distinguished road

Luneth is offline
Hi,
I bought my iPhone off eBay and i restored it to its factory settings with the 3.1.3 firmware.

I don't have the original sim card to activate it is there a way to bypass this activation screen (with emergency calls only)?
I'm not sure but i think its original carrier was AT&T, maybe if i bought a AT&T card i can activate the iPhone - if this works can i use Pwnage/Blackr1an to unlock and jailbreak my phone?


Thanks for your time.
PS i have tried PWNAGE 3.1.5 to create a custom restore - when i try to restore with this custom one it comes up with error 2001 or sometimes 1604.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

 
Raz0rEdge's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 17, 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 7,512
Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Raz0rEdge is offline
All the jailbreaking talk is not allowed here..

As far as activating it goes..you'll want to get a SIM card to start with..and you'll need to likely activate with AT&T..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
Luneth

 
Member Since: Apr 10, 2010
Posts: 10
Luneth is on a distinguished road

Luneth is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
All the jailbreaking talk is not allowed here..

As far as activating it goes..you'll want to get a SIM card to start with..and you'll need to likely activate with AT&T..

Regards
Oh i didn't realise, i'm terribly sorry.

So i can use another AT&T (other than the original) simcard to activate the iPhone?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
rfe959

 
rfe959's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 12, 2009
Location: Kansas, U.S.A.
Posts: 108
rfe959 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2,1, Macbook Pro 5.1, (2) iphone 4S's, (2) iPad Mini's, Apple TV, MacBook Pro 9.2

rfe959 is offline
You will be given a new sim card at activation. I don't think you can re-activate an old sim.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

 
Raz0rEdge's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 17, 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 7,512
Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Raz0rEdge is offline
The way I went about this when I got my iPhone 3G from eBay, was to take the SIM card I had in my cheapo Nokia that I got with my AT&T contract..and I could immediately use the phone to make/receive phone calls..

I then called AT&T and told them about the iPhone and had them activate the data plan. They asked for the phone IMEI number and the SIM card's information and fully got my iPhone 3G running on their network..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
Luneth

 
Member Since: Apr 10, 2010
Posts: 10
Luneth is on a distinguished road

Luneth is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfe959 View Post
You will be given a new sim card at activation. I don't think you can re-activate an old sim.
hi thanks for the reply.
But, you see, the thing is that i'm from the UK and i believe that the iPhone was originally from the US and locked with an AT&T sim.
I was thinking of buying a AT&T sim off eBay so that i can activate it.


Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Luneth

 
Member Since: Apr 10, 2010
Posts: 10
Luneth is on a distinguished road

Luneth is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
The way I went about this when I got my iPhone 3G from eBay, was to take the SIM card I had in my cheapo Nokia that I got with my AT&T contract..and I could immediately use the phone to make/receive phone calls..

I then called AT&T and told them about the iPhone and had them activate the data plan. They asked for the phone IMEI number and the SIM card's information and fully got my iPhone 3G running on their network..

Regards
Oh right, but i don't think that is possible for me as i live in the uk....
and you have to 'Activate your sim' to actually use it fully???

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

 
Raz0rEdge's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 17, 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 7,512
Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Raz0rEdge is offline
One distinction about my iPhone 3G is that it was unlocked by AT&T when I got it. So technically I could've used anybody's SIM card with it and made it work..

Now, if you have a friend with a spare SIM or grab one from the pay-as-you-go services (I imagine you have these in UK)..you can try the SIM to see if the phone will at least work as a phone..and then you'll have to figure out the Internet piece..

It's usually good to buy fully unlocked phones so that you don't have this issue..especially if you're going to get one that was in use in the US..but hindsight, 20/20 and all that jazz..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
Luneth

 
Member Since: Apr 10, 2010
Posts: 10
Luneth is on a distinguished road

Luneth is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
One distinction about my iPhone 3G is that it was unlocked by AT&T when I got it. So technically I could've used anybody's SIM card with it and made it work..

Now, if you have a friend with a spare SIM or grab one from the pay-as-you-go services (I imagine you have these in UK)..you can try the SIM to see if the phone will at least work as a phone..and then you'll have to figure out the Internet piece..

It's usually good to buy fully unlocked phones so that you don't have this issue..especially if you're going to get one that was in use in the US..but hindsight, 20/20 and all that jazz..

Regards
I was debating whether to purchase this sim from ebay;
ATT AT&T SIM card Unlock iPhone 3GS GSM PDA Cell Phone on eBay (end time 29-Apr-10 19:09:45 BST)

I just need access to the springboard (get past the emergency calls only) so that i can 'unlock my iPhone'.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

 
Raz0rEdge's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 17, 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 7,512
Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Raz0rEdge is offline
That seems to be exactly what you wanted and if you can indeed get the thing for just the $3.99 and no more..than it's worth giving a shot to see if it will allow you to use your phone..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
Luneth

 
Member Since: Apr 10, 2010
Posts: 10
Luneth is on a distinguished road

Luneth is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
That seems to be exactly what you wanted and if you can indeed get the thing for just the $3.99 and no more..than it's worth giving a shot to see if it will allow you to use your phone..

Regards
Alright then its done, Ill give it a blast!
Thanks for you time and advice Raz0rEdge, much appreciated
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

 
Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
Location: Tampa , FL
Posts: 1,957
bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

bargsbeer is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luneth View Post
Alright then its done, Ill give it a blast!
Thanks for you time and advice Raz0rEdge, much appreciated
PM sent
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Otterbox Cases | New iPhone 4Gs - wink, wink »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?