New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

First time iPhone buyer...16GB or 32GB?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Drew384

Drew384 is on a distinguished road

My contract expires in 2 days and I'm finally able to take the iPhone plunge, but I'm still debating on which one will best suit my needs...the 16 or 32GB. I have almost zero experience/knowledge of the phone, so quite frankly I don't know what sort of space the apps, pictures, movies, etc take up. I'm looking at probably no more than 5GB of music, some occasional movies, and the storing/transferring of work-related files (sound recordings, images, Word and Excel documents, emails, PDF's, etc).

It's a two-year investment so I'm willing to spend the extra cash for the larger phone if need be, but I'm curious to hear opinions from current iPhone owners.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I personally have an 8GB iPhone and it's got plenty of space for my needs. I've got several hundred songs, over 40 apps, and I still have room for multiple TV shows and movies. Based on your needs, the 16GB model would be plenty of space.

However, I should let you know that there is a very high likelihood that a new iPhone is going to be released in late June/early July. So if you can hold out until then, I suggest you do so before jumping the gun and locking yourself into a two year contract.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

If you can afford the 32Gb one, go for it. Drive Space is like RAM, you can never have "too much" as long as you can afford it and you'll never be sorry or limited by it. I too have an 8Gb iPhone and have less than 1Gb of space left between Apps, Ringtones and most of all Music (almost 700 songs). I'm hoping for a 64Gb iPhone in the summer when my contract ends.

QUOTE Thanks
mac102004

mac102004 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac, 3.06Ghz, 4MB Ram, 1TB HDD

I just picked up a 3GS 16gb iPhone. I could have bought the 32gb, but I did not feel that I needed that extra memory. Some people would need it, but 16gb is more than enough for me. I own a older iPod Nano that has 8gb of space, between my music, songs and pictures I could never fill it past 3-4gb or so.

I don't think you should bother looking at the 8gb, your definitely going to want to step up to the 3GS iPhone. The choice will be should you go with 16 or 32gb. At the end of the day it's your call. Do you have an MP3 player/iPod right now? How many songs do you have? Like to take lots of pictures with you?

Also, I would not wait for a new one to come out, just pull the trigger now. I've shot myself in the foot by waiting for new things to come out like this. And when they finally hit the shelves they were WAY out of my price range and I was forced to wait even longer for the prices to drop. Buy now and enjoy it, if they come out with something 6-12 months down the road sell the old iPhone and upgrade.

27" iMac - 3.06Ghz, 1TB HDD, 4GB Ram
16GB iPhone 3GS
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac102004 View Post
Also, I would not wait for a new one to come out, just pull the trigger now. I've shot myself in the foot by waiting for new things to come out like this. And when they finally hit the shelves they were WAY out of my price range and I was forced to wait even longer for the prices to drop. Buy now and enjoy it, if they come out with something 6-12 months down the road sell the old iPhone and upgrade.
That is not very sound advice. For starters, the new one is going to cost the same as the current one with a new contract, $200 for the base model (either 16GB or 32GB, we don't know yet) and $300 for the next model (again, either 32GB or 64GB). Second, he won't be eligible for an upgrade in 6-12 months, so he'll have to figure out a way to sell his by then outdated iPhone for a price close to the amount a new retail iPhone will cost, somewhere in the $500-$600 area. Sounds like a hassle if all he has to do is wait a few months and then enjoy his device for two years.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
mac102004

mac102004 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac, 3.06Ghz, 4MB Ram, 1TB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
That is not very sound advice. For starters, the new one is going to cost the same as the current one with a new contract, $200 for the base model (either 16GB or 32GB, we don't know yet) and $300 for the next model (again, either 32GB or 64GB). Second, he won't be eligible for an upgrade in 6-12 months, so he'll have to figure out a way to sell his by then outdated iPhone for a price close to the amount a new retail iPhone will cost, somewhere in the $500-$600 area. Sounds like a hassle if all he has to do is wait a few months and then enjoy his device for two years.
I'm not forcing my opinion on anybody, the OP asked for opinions and I gave mine....

You would have to take a loss if you wanted to upgrade, that's just the way she goes. You don't sell a 2 year old car for $40,000 and go buy a brand new, better one for the same cost. You wont have any problem selling it, that's for sure.
If Apple set a date, and said, YES! An amazing new iPhone with this that and the other thing will be released today. Then maybe, you may want to wait for it, otherwise don't be fooled waiting on false promises IMO.

27" iMac - 3.06Ghz, 1TB HDD, 4GB Ram
16GB iPhone 3GS
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

I just upgraded to the 16 gig 3gs and have kicked myself every day since for not going for double the space for a 100 bucks !

Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
Drew384

Drew384 is on a distinguished road

Well, I debated for a while on holding out for the next iteration, but then realized that there's no great way to do so and save much money aside from hanging on to my worn out, internet-less Blackberry Pearl that much longer. A refurb would use my upgrade, and buying a used 3G/Gs to tide me over that isn't damaged isn't any cheaper than a brand new one with contract. If OS 4.0 were planned for the next iPhone only, I probably would've forced myself to wait, but that news helped my decision.
QUOTE Thanks
wammo

wammo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Coming Soon...

My contract runs out in may or june I think, but I'm waiting for the announcement of the new iPhone cause if I got the 3GS and then a new one come out I'd be pretty annoyed that I had 18 months of the "old" iPhone lol!

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Unless it is imperative that you upgrade promptly on the expiration of your contract, you'd probably be best off waiting. The upcoming iPhone revision should cost the same; without a doubt it will have superior features (in particular, expect a better camera, LED flash, and Apple's own cpu, similar to what's in the iPad, which reportedly is VERY impressive); and OS updates starting in as little as a year or so will increasingly fail to completely support the 3GS. Worst case scenario in waiting? You save a hundred bucks by settling on the 3GS if the upcoming one fails to sway you. At the least, you can expect Apple to announce the new version in the next month or so and can base a decision on that.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
ebeckert

ebeckert is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook - 320 GB HD, 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB Ram, + Magic Mouse

There is no harm in waiting for the new one. If you feel the need to get an iPhone right now, get the 32 gb. You may end up needing the space for apps or music in the future, who knows? Better safe than sorry.

Also, check out the new iPhone here. Chances are that is what it will look like.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevin6432

Kevin6432 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.2 2GB

Wait a month and a half for the new one. You will regret buying an iPhone right now when the new one is released.

15 inch MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo w/ 3GB ram and 160GB 7200 RPM HDD.
Apple OS-X Snow Leopard / Boot Camp - Windows XP
QUOTE Thanks
TF626

TF626 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5' iMac i3 3.2GHz, 13.3' MacBook Pro 2.26GHz, iPhone 4(16GB), 160GB iPod Classic

You should be just fine with the 16GB iPhone. That's the model I picked up at AT&T, and haven't had a problem in terms of storage, and only put on 600 of my songs(I have an iPod). Plus 40 some apps, and three movies.

Personally it's more than enough space for me. But if you think you'll be adding more over the years than pick up the 32GB. I am sure though as you've read, I'd just wait out until the iPhone 4G comes out, and just use a prepaid phone until it comes out.
QUOTE Thanks
VicRattlehead

VicRattlehead is on a distinguished road

when it comes to hard drive space, BIGGER IS ALWAYS BETTER.

id love to be able to put most of my music on the iphone, as it is i cant even put a quarter on mine without filing it. it stinks.

my contract ends in a few months so ill be picking up the new iphone when/if it comes out before my contract ends.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianFTC

BrianFTC is on a distinguished road

If you don't want to wait for 4G and buy it right now, 16GB should be plenty. Something tells me that, if you are like me, you will eventually want an iPad - I would save extra $ for it . I have 16GB - about 400 songs, TONS of app - only half full. For normal use requiring tons of contacts, decent amount of music (not like a few THOUSANDS of songs) and apps, 16GB does it all. How much videos you would download and watch would be the biggest factor, I think. I am one of those guys who want "them all" - tend to buy the most expensive model with all goodies "just in case" but the reality is that I only utilize half of what the gadget could do. I thought about the same for the memory. Never had an issue with my old 8GB iPod Touch - I didn't need to jump to 32GB.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« how to transfer iphone to an used iTunes | New iPhone this summer »