New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iphone drawing too much power

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wsand

wsand is on a distinguished road

Hey, so i plugged in my iPhone today and it pulled up a message saying that a USB device was drawing too much power and that the device is now disabled. So after this message popped up my computer nor any other means of charging my phone recognize the phone. I have no way of charging my phone any ideas?

Thanks for the help,
Willy
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Use the wall charger to charge it up..the iPhone should ask for the PC to provide whatever it can and charge with that..not sure why it's misbehaving..has it always done that?

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Am "assuming" here that you're connecting to an off-the-shelf windows box. I have a Dell at work that I believe my iPhone was the just the last straw that caused the USB ports to die. I use several high end USB devices on that machine from digitizers to multiple printers . (I blame it on the cheapie motherboard they use.) I ended up adding a PCI USB card to that system. You can find them practically anywhere for $20 or less. Check out newegg and Amazon.

I bought this card from Amazon - $8, but only has 4 ports and I need 8 minimum. Added this hub. The combo has been going strong for 3 months now

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
chuongster

chuongster is an unknown at this point

Wow...Iphone is a beast! Get a wall adapter it very convenient.
QUOTE Thanks
wsand

wsand is on a distinguished road

hey im using a macbook pro thats 2 months old. Wall chargers and car chargers don't work. thanks for the replies so far.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If you can't charge the phone with any charger, then something is wrong with it. Time to call Apple or take it in.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
arielmcg

arielmcg is on a distinguished road

I'm having the same exact problem (usb drawing too much power) and I called apple care and they have no idea what is causing it. I'm not sure it its a problem with my Mac or with my 3G iphone!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Use a wall charger as was advised in the previous posts. If your iPhone has a problem (drawing too much charging current) you will need to take it on in to Apple for repair.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Underdog387

Underdog387 is on a distinguished road

IF you are getting this message you need to take it to the nearest Apple Store and have them take a look at it. This happened to me today and it will no longer charge on any charger, wall, car or on my Macbook Pro. I asked one of my inside man at Apple. He said that if you can get it to connect to your computer, try a restore and maybe it will work, but if not, take it in and have them look at it.
QUOTE Thanks
eternally_ody

eternally_ody is on a distinguished road

I just had the same problem n freaked. But then i realised my daughter had chewed the cord and was slightly damaged. I plugged in another cord n is working fine now. have a look n see if theres any damage.
QUOTE Thanks
BatyaWolfe

BatyaWolfe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternally_ody View Post
I just had the same problem n freaked. But then i realised my daughter had chewed the cord and was slightly damaged. I plugged in another cord n is working fine now. have a look n see if theres any damage.
Same thing for me. Daughter was chewing it yesterday and today I got the same message. When I swapped the cord it didn't have the same message, BUT it did say:

" iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPhone “Batya Wolfe’s iPhone”. Go to the Summary tab in iPhone preferences and click Restore to restore this iPhone to factory settings."

I clicked ok and then clicked on my iPhone under "Devices" in iTunes and the sync started up as normal. No need to restore.

My slightly chewed cord seems to work fine, with the adapter, as a charger.
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

Chuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb

I'd me more concerned that my daughter was chewing on the cables of electrical devices, than the fact my iPhone has stopped charging.

Play the guitar?! Check out the [newly created]Mac-Forums guitar thread!
QUOTE Thanks
BatyaWolfe

BatyaWolfe is on a distinguished road

It actually scared me to pieces and since I thought that I had smartly tucked it in back of the computer, I was truly surprised to see it in her mouth!!!
I hadn't shared that because it didn't seem relevant to the topic of the discussion! I am sure that we are all trying to guard our precious children from harm and I assume that anyone with issues such as this have learned and have taken more precautions.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Use a wall charger as was advised in the previous posts. If your iPhone has a problem (drawing too much charging current) you will need to take it on in to Apple for repair.

Regards.
Yes, I think that the battery protection circuit kicks in when it detects over-volting. Either way it's not good.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010, WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen,ATV2, Samsung LE40 Series 6, Denon AVR1910, Kef HTS 1001.2’s and Kube-1 Sub
Denon DCD510AE, Panasonic DMP-BD60,Sky+HD,Logitech Harmony One Advanced. MOTM October 2012.
QUOTE Thanks
don.deteguta

don.deteguta is on a distinguished road

I had this problem today, and tried various cables, wall chargers and computers to get my iPhone to charge but nothing was happening.

A little back story first: Iphone 3g JB 5.1. My phone was plugged into an imac, and it gave me this message, it wasn´t running any apps it was just charging and then I got the error.

Now to the point: After trying many methods, I plugged it into the wall charger once more, with the same chinese cable I have always used, not sure if the wall adapter is legit, but the cable definitely isn´t. In frustration, I hard reset it about 5 to 6 times in a row, and it started to charge. Try continuous hard resets, frustration definitely optional and not recommended.

Might not be the same for all of you, but I hope it might help some of you!
Best of luck!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« can't change app store account | iPhone 4 - Sound keeps dropping out! »